Thread: Self-fulfilling prophesies and Ni/Ne

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Self-fulfilling prophesies and Ni/Ne

Is there a tendency with Ni ego that when you think you know what's going to happen, to act as though that's what will happen? To what extent does this become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I was thinking that maybe Ne-egos have an advantage, in a way, in that they're more open to whatever may happen and less fixated on things the Ni-egos are "sure" will happen based on the clues and intuitions and whatnot.

OR maybe this also depends on rationality vs. irrationality? with irrationals being more open and rationals being more focused in on specific expectations.

So it might be like this in terms of self-fulfilling prophesies:

EIE & LIE > IEI & ILI

?? Or is this just weird. Or crazy.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Irrational.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Try Irrational.
    you mean my whole theory is irrational? lolol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    you mean my whole theory is irrational? lolol
    What I meant was: it's what Irrational types tend to do. That when they think they know what's going to happen, they tend to act as though that's what will happen.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant was: it's what Irrational types tend to do. That when they think they know what's going to happen, they tend to act as though that's what will happen.
    oh! interesting....
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Rings true for myself. Little things, strong intuitions, premonitions, and the like. But also, when I visualize something, it also tends to unfold as I work my way towards whatever goal I visualize (i.e. I want to develop this trait in myself, do better at this or that, etc, it tends to happen as I start to semi-consciously go for whatever).

Dunno if it is limited to Ni.
    yeah I'm the same. so it's like both positive and negative. It helps move you forward towards a positive goal but also when you think something you don't want to happen will happen, it can also work towards that. It's like whatever that Esther Hicks person talks about. blah blah, where's B&D when you need him?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    I do the 1st thing described a lot. And I am right. Always.
    yeah so I guess my question is, if you think something is going to happen and it's not what you want to happen, is your belief ITSELF aiding the thing in coming to pass? And if so, might you try to act differently, more openly or something to see if you can prevent it from happening?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    If I could be convinced that a situation was going to turn out differently than whatever my instincts/intuitions are saying, then absolutely.
    I know! but it's the convincing oneself that's the bitch. I feel the same.
    Sometimes I don't like this modern life because it's too open-ended; possibilities can make life seem empty. And require annoying things like making plans. I just like having things thrown at me to react to.
    super interesting. you're right that there are too many options and it makes life seem empty, I've had that thought periodically since I was in college (20 years now). The comment that you like having things thrown at you to react to is exactly how I feel. Is that rational or irrational or neither?? I hate making plans. I feel like everyone else plans things and has no free time in their schedule and that annoys me too. It's like DO I REALLY HAVE TO SCHEDULE TIME WITH YOU ONE WEEK OUT FROM TODAY???? ugh. Modern life sucks.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-male

I don't know if this is Ne, I think it is, but whenever I see something I try to anticipate the various possibilities and then respond accordingly. At first its an awareness like, "maybe this could happen", and then a plan for action based on that possibility. A simple example is like when I was a kid and learning to water ski, I remember thinking, if I start to loose balance and fall my first reaction should be to lean back.... because obviously it sucks to hit the water face first. I use this same model when I feel threatened by a person's body language, like If I am in a bad neighborhood, instead of getting nervous, I try to anticipate.... like, if this person walks up to my car I'm going to drive this way and avoid them. In debates I try to anticipate come backs and throw out disclaimers to other people's points ahead of time, but this always doesn't work, people just see it as overly verbose. Most of the time this works in a fairly negative way, I am trying to anticipate the worst that could come and develop a "spring-loaded" solution to it... when your talking about positive things its much much much more different. I don't try to anticipate positive things, I simply enjoy them if they are unexpected and I try to "drive" my life towards them if they are goals or expectations. Anticipation to me is a fairly negative thing, its like anticipating the roadblocks to your goals and re-directing immediately. Kind of like a ski-er going down a mountain avoiding trees, you look ahead, see the pitfall/collision and re-direct. The problem is when your goal is a conflict or problem to another person and they are re-directing to stop you. Then it becomes a game of sorts.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    I don't know if this is Ne, I think it is, but whenever I see something I try to anticipate the various possibilities and then respond accordingly. At first its an awareness like, "maybe this could happen", and then a plan for action based on that possibility. A simple example is like when I was a kid and learning to water ski, I remember thinking, if I start to loose balance and fall my first reaction should be to lean back.... because obviously it sucks to hit the water face first. I use this same model when I feel threatened by a person's body language, like If I am in a bad neighborhood, instead of getting nervous, I try to anticipate.... like, if this person walks up to my car I'm going to drive this way and avoid them. In debates I try to anticipate come backs and throw out disclaimers to other people's points ahead of time, but this always doesn't work, people just see it as overly verbose. Most of the time this works in a fairly negative way, I am trying to anticipate the worst that could come and develop a "spring-loaded" solution to it... when your talking about positive things its much much much more different. I don't try to anticipate positive things, I simply enjoy them if they are unexpected and I try to "drive" my life towards them if they are goals or expectations. Anticipation to me is a fairly negative thing, its like anticipating the roadblocks to your goals and re-directing immediately. Kind of like a ski-er going down a mountain avoiding trees, you look ahead, see the pitfall/collision and re-direct. The problem is when your goal is a conflict or problem to another person and they are re-directing to stop you. Then it becomes a game of sorts.
    yes, something like this. Ne kind of sees how things could go and in a way we are ready for anything. but at the same time, sometimes i notice myself seeing how things are going to go, and then not strategizing to inititate actions that would mitigate damage. or perhaps more accurately, sometimes i can see how things are going to go...indubitibly....and despite the knowledge, i can´t do anything about it. i think here´s where Ni would be better....they can see exactly where something is in all liklihood is going to go and can make dynamic adjustments so they end up in the best possible position.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop ruining my reputation, Maritsa!!

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Stop ruining my reputation, Maritsa!!
    Sorry, I deleted my message; I reevaluated the perspective from irrationality/rationality.

yeah so I guess my question is, if you think something is going to happen and it's not what you want to happen, is your belief ITSELF aiding the thing in coming to pass? And if so, might you try to act differently, more openly or something to see if you can prevent it from happening?
    If you think something is going to happen, then your mind has mathematically determined that something might happen based on the circumstances; introverted intuition is a reaction of subconscious process rather then extraverted intuition which is conscious process. So subconsciously, you've done exactly the same things as the extraverted intuition, except your reaction is more emotional because it creeps up on you. It's like a flash of a disastrous event versus many evaluations of the event at all times from many possible angles all the time. Your beliefs is not aiding the things to come to pass because events exist outside oneself; they are objective. Your introverted intuition is aiding you in how you can handle it when the event roles around if it does. Events are objective and they exist outside of subjective intuitive self. So, look at it objectively and if you have a hard time with that then you can seek the realist Se's to evaluate it objectively or other objective types like Te's. When you see an event, your mind has determined the statistics or the likelihood of such an event coming to fruition; the event itself is outside of you but available to your intuition, your foresight, but will not change based on your making it come or go unless you change other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post

I see many possibilities at an instance and make a plan and go for the one that I like the most.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 11-08-2010 at 12:05 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a tendency with Ni ego that when you think you know what's going to happen, to act as though that's what will happen? To what extent does this become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I was thinking that maybe Ne-egos have an advantage, in a way, in that they're more open to whatever may happen and less fixated on things the Ni-egos are "sure" will happen based on the clues and intuitions and whatnot.

OR maybe this also depends on rationality vs. irrationality? with irrationals being more open and rationals being more focused in on specific expectations.

So it might be like this in terms of self-fulfilling prophesies:

EIE & LIE > IEI & ILI

?? Or is this just weird. Or crazy.
    I'm gonna say it's not type related. I think this is true for everyone. "Life is what you make it", and that's one of the ways it happens.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can have my little premonitions and visions of what will happen and try like crazy to convince myself they won't happen, and act as if they won't happen, but then they freaking happen anyway.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I can have my little premonitions and visions of what will happen and try like crazy to convince myself they won't happen, and act as if they won't happen, but then they freaking happen anyway.
    haha that actually made me feel a lot better! Because at least there's a chance that it's not my BELIEF itself that's causing the thing to happen. I sort of prefer the sense that it's destined to happen anyway and I'm just picking up on the clues. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...that it's destined to happen anyway and I'm just picking up on the clues. lol
    I hope this ain't the case.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often wonder if I pictured it happening because it would happen or if it happened because I pictured it happening. I've wondered this from when I was a kid because stuff I dreamed would actually happen. Random, unimportant things usually. An injury once. Maybe my brain was trying to warn me that the way I was playing on my swing set thing was dangerous and why? ugh idk w/e
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this ain't the case.
    freewill vs. determinism is always a bitch

I want to believe in free will, but the bottom line is that everything has a cause... idk.
    SEE

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is me. I don't feel *sure* that things *will* happen. I think more in terms of probabilities. This is highly likely to occur; that is not very likely. I imagine how different scenarios could play out and prepare accordingly.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP