Thread: Different roles in conflict

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Different roles in conflict

There's an interesting article I just read in a magazine about the different roles people take in conflict/arguments/fights. I'd be interested to hear whether people think they match particular personality types and which one(s) people identify with the most. Perpetrators are ones that start arguments, victims react against perpetrators, and rescuers are usually a third person in an argument between other people. I imagine some people could take on one of the categories from all these roles, although in my case I very much matched one type which is the justifier. Anyway here they are. I'm afraid some are a bit vague:

Perpetrators
    The Lawyer has well-planned, prosecuting attacks, laden with confusing language that disorientates the victim. They are expert at laying bizarre accusations so the victim cannot explain their position logically.
    The Ambusher takes their opponent by surprise and then goes on the attack. They give the illusion of understanding to catch their prey off-guard.
    The Manipulator uses group situations, such as dinner parties, to discredit their opponents.
    The Thug is an out-and-out bully and will use yelling, threats and exploitation of their opponents weaknesses to squash resistance.
    The Smiling Assassin is often charming and caring, even complimentary. However, this type is a narcissistic egomaniac who feels threatened when those close to him achieve rewards and will find some way to burst their bubble.

Victims
    The Retreater avoids conflict at all costs and then simmers with resentment.
    The Blamer turns everything back onto the other person.
    The Martyr is self-righteous and gains the high moral ground through their suffering, no matter how much injury they create.
    The Dumping Bag feels completely powerless to defend themselves and is anxious is they are not a target. They will choose to be put down rather than risk anxiety or fantasised retribution.
    The Justifier is always apologising, rightly or wrongly, for their behaviour; nevertheless they feel panicky unless others understand their view, and struggle with their right to exist.

Rescuers
    The White Knight wants to defend others, to be a superhero. They offer leadership and support but sometimes inflame conflicts.
    The Avenging Angel has unhealed wounds from the past and sees injustice everywhere. They see it as their role to avenge unfairness.
    The Placator is anxious around disagreement and will try to fix impossible problems, even taking on unfair responsibility, blame and guilt.
    The Preacher sees others as naive, lost and in need of guidance. Unfortunately, they are often seen as patronising.
    The Diplomat is the healthiest Rescuer. They are skilled in emotional intelligence and leadership. They usually steer the discussion in less reactive, more problem-solving directions. They believe in equality and "win-win" outcomes.
    LII

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this sound like a core-class of dungeons & dragons.
    Still, this is interesting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Methinks it's incomplete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing there.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wtf Hahaha!!

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which magazine was this in?

I think its possible to be more than one of them in different situations. I think Justifier and Diplomat and The Preacher are the closest fits for me, depending on whether I am the target of conflict or a "third person". None of the others come even close

Also, its interesting that there are negative connotations in most of the descriptions except the Diplomat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said it was complete or anything. I just thought it was an interesting conversation starter. There's alot on the interaction between types but not so much on the way each would deal with conflict.

Anyhow, some of them made me associate with types somewhat (at least from their descriptions), like for example with the rescuers the Avenging Angel and ESI, the Preacher LIE and the Diplomat EII.
    LII

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    which magazine was this in?
    It was in life magazine, a supplement in the Sunday Herald
    LII

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I would fall somewhere in between being a Placator or a Diplomat (I wish).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    But niffweed, didn't you know? The truth has come out. I can't deny it anymore. I'm a Smiling Assassin.

LMAO

I think I'm a combination of a Lawyer, White Knight, and Avenging Angel.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I think I would fall somewhere in between being a Placator or a Diplomat (I wish).
    I guess I'd be a justifier or an avenging angel.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP