Thread: SLI Survey: tell us about yourselves ISTps

Creepy-

Default SLI Survey: tell us about yourselves ISTps

I have some questions for SLIs - partly to satisfy my own curiosity, and partly because I think it’s helpful to have this kind of info [not just for SLIs, but for all types....]. I’m wondering what SLIs themselves have to say, as well as what people who know SLIs will say...

What do SLIs you know enjoy most?
    What do they hate most?
    What are they naturally good at??
    What are they not naturally good at?
    Do they tend to be more “introverted” or more “extroverted” in the pop culture/MBTI sense of the words?
    What careers have SLIs you know chosen or aim for?
    What sorts of things do you consider to be “natural” for SLIs [e.g.: being good w the hands, being laid back, etc.... unless those are just stereotypes - are they?]

On a scale of 1-10 [10 being “extremely well”], how well would you say these words apply to SLIs you know:
    - Moody
    - Tidy and neat or organized
    - Shy [particularly w new people]
    - Optimistic
    - Stubborn
    - Friendly [particularly w new people]
    - Witty
    - Rebellious
    - Easily bored
    - Charismatic
    - Self-disciplined
    - Argumentative
    - Creative
    - Imaginative
    - Charming
    - Athletic
    - Grumpy
    - Quiet
    - Impulsive
    - Detail-oriented
    - Intimidating
    - Considerate of other people
    - Adventure-seeking

I know most of the stereotypical answers to these questions [and some answers will probably obvious, heh] and I also know that not all of these answers will be type-related... but your real answers would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly are you expecting to accomplish with this?

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnte View Post
    What exactly are you expecting to accomplish with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    I have some questions for SLIs - partly to satisfy my own curiosity, and partly because I think it’s helpful to have this kind of info [not just for SLIs, but for all types....].

Creepy-Cyclops

This is speed dating?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a great idea and wanna see the answers
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know any SLI's =[
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Creepy-Cyclops

They enjoy serious conversations with some fun added in.

What do they hate most?
    Rude, aggressive and narrow minded people. Thoughtless people I suppose.

Working by producing direct results by most time efficient means

Wearing silly hats as part of 'Oh it's silly hat day at work this means we've got to have fun and laugh now, because it's all staged and planned-enjoy it!'

Do they tend to be more introverted or more extroverted in the pop culture/MBTI sense of the words?
    Introverted in larger groups, extroverted in smaller groups

What careers have SLIs you know chosen or aim for? Science, medical related

What sorts of things do you consider to be natural for SLIs [e.g.: being good w the hands, being laid back, etc.... unless those are just stereotypes - are they?]
    I don't think they are stereotypes. In contrast an SLI can work extremely hard and tirelessly, harder and more productively than anyone I know should they see it as a means to a goal they want to achieve.

On a scale of 1-10 [10 being extremely well], how well would you say these words apply to SLIs you know:
    - Moody 4
    - Tidy and neat or organized 6
    - Shy [particularly w new people] 5
    - Optimistic 6
    - Stubborn 10
    - Friendly [particularly w new people] 7
    - Witty 4 (they can *think* they're funny)
    - Rebellious 7
    - Easily bored 4
    - Charismatic 4
    - Self-disciplined depends
    - Argumentative 6
    - Creative 4
    - Imaginative 4
    - Charming depends
    - Athletic 8
    - Grumpy 6
    - Quiet 7
    - Impulsive 7
    - Detail-oriented 9
    - Intimidating depends
    - Considerate of other people 7
    - Adventure-seeking 7

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good stuff Cyclops.

hmm, yeah silly hat day could possibly go terribly wrong. It could be fun if it wasn't so planned out I'd guess.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good company.

What do they hate most?
    Absurdity imposed by others.

Business, helping others.

They have difficulty accepting non empirical knowledge, theoretical in particular. This makes them somewhat short sighted.

Do they tend to be more “introverted” or more “extroverted” in the pop culture/MBTI sense of the words?
    No direct correlation.

Car mechanic (male, 45), medic (male, 40), graphics designer (male, 40), plumber (male, 40), police detective (female, 40), mechanical engineer (female, 30), mechanical engineer (male, 25), bus driver (male, 25), landscape engineer (female, 25).

What sorts of things do you consider to be “natural” for SLIs
    Observation, planning.

- Moody: 4
    - Tidy and neat or organized: 6
    - Shy: 7
    - Optimistic: 5
    - Stubborn: 10
    - Friendly: 7
    - Witty: 6
    - Rebellious: 7
    - Easily bored: 5
    - Charismatic: 7
    - Self-disciplined: 5
    - Argumentative: 5
    - Creative: 8
    - Imaginative: 6
    - Charming: 7
    - Athletic: 6
    - Grumpy: 4
    - Quiet: 9
    - Impulsive: 7
    - Detail-oriented: 9
    - Intimidating: 7
    - Considerate of other people: 5
    - Adventure-seeking: 6
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Creepy-

Thanks for the replies. I agree w Jewels: good stuff. It's cool to see replies from self-typed SLIs themselves as well as from people who know SLIs fairly well....

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, these are all generalizations. Nothing is 100%.

I have some questions for SLIs - partly to satisfy my own curiosity, and partly because I think it’s helpful to have this kind of info [not just for SLIs, but for all types....]. I’m wondering what SLIs themselves have to say, as well as what people who know SLIs will say...

What do SLIs you know enjoy most? Fun, comfort
    What do they hate most? Yappy dogs, "team building" exercises. Well those are just examples. But anyway, getting personal with people they don't know well, and discomfort.
    What are they naturally good at?? Working with hands and tools, problem solving
    What are they not naturally good at? People management, like human resources stuff maybe.
    Do they tend to be more “introverted” or more “extroverted” in the pop culture/MBTI sense of the words? Introverted, generally
    What careers have SLIs you know chosen or aim for? My husband is in computers but dreams of being a welder. I know a surgeon who is SLI, another computer person, a seamstress, an attorney, a caterer, a football coach.
    What sorts of things do you consider to be “natural” for SLIs [e.g.: being good w the hands, being laid back, etc.... unless those are just stereotypes - are they?] They are sterotypes but it looks like you want stereotypes? Not always true but some general truth to it? I would say that as far as that goes, those are two.

On a scale of 1-10 [10 being “extremely well”], how well would you say these words apply to SLIs you know: I assume this also means 1 is "not at all" and 5 is "neutral" Also, I really mainly base this on my husband, and there is obviously variety from SLI to SLI.
    - Moody 5
    - Tidy and neat or organized 5
    - Shy [particularly w new people] 9
    - Optimistic 3
    - Stubborn 5
    - Friendly [particularly w new people] 2
    - Witty 4
    - Rebellious 7
    - Easily bored 7
    - Charismatic 2
    - Self-disciplined 5
    - Argumentative 3
    - Creative 3
    - Imaginative 3
    - Charming 3
    - Athletic 7
    - Grumpy 7
    - Quiet 9
    - Impulsive 5
    - Detail-oriented 7
    - Intimidating 5
    - Considerate of other people 7
    - Adventure-seeking 8

I know most of the stereotypical answers to these questions [and some answers will probably obvious, heh] and I also know that not all of these answers will be type-related... but your real answers would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do they hate most?
    What sorts of things do you consider to be “natural” for SLIs [e.g.: being good w the hands, being laid back, etc.... unless those are just stereotypes - are they?]
    I like what Cyclops & SlackerMom said for these.

I don't really have an answer for this; I've had a zillion different jobs and am pretty unsatisfied in my career despite being on my way "up the ladder" in it. As for other SLIs ... I'm not really sure I know any. One person I'm sorta calling SLI was a highly-valued technician at a company that made machines that scan food products for safety. He was very good at troubleshooting when a machine went down. I think of myself as a decent troubleshooter, too, if that's worth anything.

On a scale of 1-10 [10 being “extremely well”], how well would you say these words apply to SLIs you know:
    I'm going to rate how I feel about these applying to myself, with maybe a few words to expand on the rating.
    3 - Moody (not usually, but occasionally. Also almost exclusively in private)
    7 - Tidy and neat or organized (I'm actually very much so, but I minimize time & effort on them - they're not ends unto themselves; I just don't make much of a mess in the first place)
    5 - Shy [particularly w new people] (I'm not shy, but I'm VERY self-contained)
    5 - Optimistic (I can be both optimistic and pessimistic; I prefer realistic)
    - Stubborn (This one defies a rating. I can be incredibly stubborn when I have an opinion, but if I don't feel strongly about something, I actually dislike being expected to take a stance)
    4 - Friendly [particularly w new people] (I have cultivated a pleasant demeanor, but I still have a hard time pushing myself to initiate anything, even a conversation)
    8 - Witty (Shit, who doesn't think that about him/herself?)
    7 - Rebellious (I do things my way. But I also prefer to fly under the radar. The best is when others notice that my way is better and start doing things like me - I'm not doing it to stand out; I'm doing it this way because it makes more sense than the way I was told to do it!)
    3 - Easily bored (This might have been higher earlier in my life. As it is, even when I know I'm going to have to forestall truly interesting things, I can usually manage my attitude about it. USUALLY)
    5 - Charismatic (I don't care about being so, but I seem to notice it somewhat in people's reactions to me)
    9 - Self-disciplined (What you have to understand about me is that I love spontaneity, but I hate to miss an opportunity for spontaneity because I have other things that need to happen first. So I: pay my bills on time, stay in shape, am always learning something, and keep a towel nearby in HHGTTG tradition. Someone once told me that you can't actually prepare for spontaneity: I told him that you certainly can't if you're so caught up in your day-to-day life that you don't even have time to watch for opportunities!)
    2 - Argumentative (I fucking hate arguments. I will often walk away from them even when I have objective proof that I am right and they are wrong, simply because I don't want to fucking sit there forever sparring about it. I do enjoy a stimulating intellectual discussion, and I am willing to reevaluate my opinions in light of new information someone may present me. But arguing is something else entirely)
    5 - Creative (I struggle with this one. I would like to be more creative. I feel like I'm more of an innovator than an inventor; like I can play music with great dexterity but almost no "feel" to it; like I am relegated to observer in the visual arts again due to a lack of feeling for it; and though I think I have skill with language and would like to be a writer ... well, this is one area in which my (above-vaunted) self-discipline fails me. I like to think that my skill in troubleshooting is a creative outlet. Oh yeah, and I love to dance, when I can get over feeling self-conscious.)
    3 - Imaginative (pragmatic, more likely)
    3 - Charming (aloofness comes more naturally. I'm getting better with age.)
    7 - Athletic
    3 - Grumpy
    7 - Quiet (I have for most of my driving life driven without the stereo playing. I like silence. And despite how much I can express in the written word (this post as a great example!), I only talk at length in occasional bursts. I can crank the music when I feel like it, but usually I'm dwelling as close to silence as possible in the suburbs)
    8 - Impulsive (Ironically, I almost never come up with impulsive things to do on my own. But if a friend makes a suggestion, I'm almost always game. Impulsive activities are usually my most vivid memories, and the good ones greatly outweigh the bad!)
    9 - Detail-oriented (ugh. depressingly so. I get bogged down in tedious shit on a regular basis. But I also have a great capacity to wade through tedious shit and come out the other side in an impressively low amount of time)
    - Intimidating (I don't want to answer this one. People often act at least a little intimidated by me, and it MAKES NO SENSE at all)
    4 - Considerate of other people (I'm so self-contained I just want us all to each take care of ourselves. But this is ultimately self-centered, and I'm working on it. Really, I am!)
    9 - Adventure-seeking (if only I weren't so lazy ...)

Holy shit that became a much bigger post than I expected. Take with several grains of salt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What do SLIs you know enjoy most? music, sports, having a good time

What do they hate most? intrusions on their freedom, having to make a committment

What are they naturally good at?? playing music, sports, troubleshooting and fixing things, have a good sense of humor

What are they not naturally good at? making long term committments, revealing their emotional side, long-range planning

Do they tend to be more “introverted” or more “extroverted” in the pop culture/MBTI sense of the words? Generally introverted but can appear extraverted with close friends and others they know well

What careers have SLIs you know chosen or aim for? computer programming (male age 55), civil engineering student (male age 25), mechanic (male age 45), sorry don't know any female SLI's personally

What sorts of things do you consider to be “natural” for SLIs [e.g.: being good w the hands, being laid back, etc.... unless those are just stereotypes - are they?] 2 of the SLI's I know are good with their hands, the third one is not good with his hands. All of them appear low-key and laid back, even a bit lazy but work quite efficiently when necessary. All are concerned with physical comfort. All are thrifty and good with money.

- Moody 2 (none of the ones I know appear moody)
    - Tidy and neat or organized 4 (one is extremely messy, the other is fairly neat, the third one I don't know)
    - Shy [particularly w new people] 7
    - Optimistic 5
    - Stubborn 8
    - Friendly [particularly w new people] 6
    - Witty 8
    - Rebellious 3 (only one SLI I know strikes me as rebellious. The others are quite rule-abiding)
    - Easily bored 4
    - Charismatic 5
    - Self-disciplined 6
    - Argumentative 3
    - Creative 6
    - Imaginative 5
    - Charming 5
    - Athletic 5 (I know SLI's on both extremes of the athletic spectrum)
    - Grumpy 2
    - Quiet 6
    - Impulsive 5
    - Detail-oriented 7
    - Intimidating 2
    - Considerate of other people 6
    - Adventure-seeking 6
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP