Thread: Socionics and depression

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics and depression

Just noticed a change in the article on the wiki on the relationship between Socionics and depression:

Depression - Wikisocion

My first reaction was: this is nonsense and way to simplistic. However, I do feel there are relationships between certain mental health issues and use of certain functions. My own POV:

• depression can (amongst many other reasons not related to Socionics) be the result of not getting Super-ID needs met.
    • too much use of you Super-Ego functions (e.g. because of environmental demands) does not so much cause depression, but burn-out, and after that it might cause depression of even psychosis.

Often, not getting your Super-ID needs met goes hand in hand with using your Supr-Ego functions too much, so it's not always easy to determine cause and effect. However, we can imagine situations that allow us to separate the two, e.g.:

• a person leading a largely solitary life: this person is perhaps not required to use his Supr-Ego functions, but doesn't get his Super-ID needs met, and depression might occur.
    • a dualized person (who does get Super-ID needs met) might still have to deal with people from other quadras and have to use their Super-Ego functions too much, causing energy drain, and if this goes on for too long, this might result in burn-out, or in very extreme cases in psychosis.

Just my two cents, but I'd like to hear other opinions. Also, let me know what you think of the wiki article. I personally think it does not represent a common view on Socionics. So let's get together and come of with ideas that are worthy for that article.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word. Creative Ne.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I thought this was about socionics making people depressed.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    One word. Creative Ne.
    I count two, or even three if you consider Ne an abbreviation of two words.

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    I thought this was about socionics making people depressed.
    Jumping to conclusions can make people depressed...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Wikipedia is a good article.

A dualised person won't get depressed interacting with people in other quadras because you can speak to your dual who reminds you you're normal. You will just get fed up with the other people. Being fed up is temporary if you have another person to pick you up. Temporary annoyance isn't depression.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    The Wikipedia is a good article.

A dualised person won't get depressed interacting with people in other quadras because you can speak to your dual.who reminds you you're normal. You will just get fed up with the other people. Being fed up is temporary if you have another person to pick you up.
    Agreed, that's what the wikipedia article also makes clear, you need proper social support. But things can get extreme, and people don't always have options to get out of an unhealthy situation (or don't see a way out).

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, interesting contributions so far!

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depression is about not having enough expression of ego functions, like repression is about not having enough expression of id functions, that is why when you are by yourself not doing anything (producing) or responding to basic stimuli (accepting), people ask if you are sad...you might also be very drunk, because alcohol is a depressant...