Thread: Expressing yourself through music. Is it about Se and Ni?

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expressing yourself through music. Is it about Se and Ni?

I've just realized that only Beta and Gamma quadras have their music threads. Delta has a thread called "Post a song that is on your mind at the moment" but that's different than claiming a whole band to their own quadra. What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if musical expression is linked to any function. :/
    I also don't know why the threads are different in the quadras.

When I post something in the "Beta music" thread it's not because I think the whole band consists of beta types, but maybe those who have a high influence on the music style, especially lyrics. The music I post is music I like, but can also relate to or it moves me deeply.

Anyway, music is a universal language everyone speaks and understands.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of expressing who you are(that construct in particular), is an Fe valued thing.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The idea of expressing who you are(that construct in particular), is an Fe valued thing.
    And an E4 thing.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    isn't "who you are" usually considered a static sort of concept?
    i suppose it doesn't have to be, and even though i'm inclined to see it that way naturally, it makes more sense for me to think of it as evolving.

...but still. i'm kind of iffy about this being related to Fe.

any kind of expression is an expression of self, and maybe especially artistic expression, which isn't limited to any specific types.
    maybe its the expression of how your current emotions reflect on yourself which i could see as e4, sure, and maybe having a loose correlation to Fe.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...its not Fe related.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post

This is something I've noticed before and thought of as well. Generally it seems, at least to me, that Se-egos tend to be very observant of the energy level and style in which someone plays music, and they can pick up a feel for who that person is by the strength of emotions they feel. And in general, Ni-egos tend to dissect the music and the symbolism into tangential meaning and substance, mentally giving meaning to the underlying themes. A lot of what most modern music is, a rhythmical symbolic expression of one's self, seems to be related to both Se & Ni.
    As an LSE, how do you feel about music? Do you ever listen to music that fits your mood? Or listen to music that has a certain mood to it, to change your own state?
    Sincerely Yours,

Beyond the clouds. Beyond the sun.

The Rebel without a cause.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...My father is ESTj, he listens to alot of Classical music, Jazz and Soul, (R&B) Music and Reggae which pleases his Si so he can feel comfortable and relax. But hes kinda old so...yeah. But yes, people listen to what suits their function, for different reasons as well..whether it be the rythm, the lyrics (the story or the way the lyrics are put together logically), hidden meanings, to influence their mood, etc...

Me, I can listen to music for lyrics or hidden meanings or w/e, but im more of a rhythm/beat person. I like to dance, to move, let out my energy...i'll usually listen to fast or aggressive/swag/cool music..of any genre (although I appreciate all genres and varieties of music, doesn't matter I have pretty refined and broad tastes), and my headphones or speaker is usually blasting at MAX volume. Thats my Se mostly, but other times..it really all just depends on my mood. I might be down and depressed so i'll listen to some music that soothes my Ni or Fi or w/e, or i'll listen to some smooth calm music to please my Si when I want to relax. All depends on mood.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's threads like this that make me wonder why I ever log on to this place. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having Fe creative and Ti HA amounts to having an urge to express yourself honestly and to be understood by others as a core objective in life.

In my head, that correlates pretty directly to the topic in this thread.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Intuition: Concept, inspiration
    Ethics: Feelings evoked, feelings expressed
    Logic: Structuring the melodic, harmonic and rhythmic qualities of the music
    Sensing: Performance of the music

Any type can do this, not just Se/Ni valuers.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    ...My father is ESTj, he listens to alot of Classical music, Jazz and Soul, (R&B) Music and Reggae which pleases his Si so he can feel comfortable and relax. But hes kinda old so...yeah. But yes, people listen to what suits their function, for different reasons as well..whether it be the rythm, the lyrics (the story or the way the lyrics are put together logically), hidden meanings, to influence their mood, etc...

Me, I can listen to music for lyrics or hidden meanings or w/e, but im more of a rhythm/beat person. I like to dance, to move, let out my energy...i'll usually listen to fast or aggressive/swag/cool music..of any genre (although I appreciate all genres and varieties of music, doesn't matter I have pretty refined and broad tastes), and my headphones or speaker is usually blasting at MAX volume. Thats my Se mostly, but other times..it really all just depends on my mood. I might be down and depressed so i'll listen to some music that soothes my Ni or Fi or w/e, or i'll listen to some smooth calm music to please my Si when I want to relax. All depends on mood.
    I listen to love music...it pleases my nature and tendency to connect with people
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html