Thread: More types?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default More types?

What if there's another dichotomy?... and the reason some people are super fuzzy to type is because there are like 4 more types we're not even categorizing?! And I don't mean subtypes or anything... but like four extra MAIN types we are totally missing.

That would explain why I type these two very different kinds of people as ENFj I know. I mean, no other type fits them but they don't really seem related, and it doesn't seem a difference of subtype.

Is this a crazy idea?
    SLI

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a certain mathematics to Socionics. How would the functions of an additional type work? Theoretically, we can "fill in the gaps" of present Socionics knowledge and create an infinitely diverse subtyping system, but the 16 types are determined by the possible blockings of functions.

As for dichotomies, we can create thousands of more dichotomies if we wanted to. (see the Reinin dichotomies, for example) The standard view of dichotomies in Socionics is not that dichotomies determine how many types they are, but dichotomies divide the Socion into two sets of 8, each somehow similar in some way.

Your proposition isn't a crazy idea; it merely doesn't mesh with the theory as you've described it. The possibility of "more types" is what creates new typologies and additions to existing ones.

TIM
    Ne-LII
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VixenDogFox View Post
    That was a lovely clarification. I mean, it satisfied my brain completely. I just baked some chocolate chip and sugar cookies for me and my LII. Wanna share?!
    All in one cookie? I'm not a fan of chocolate but if you have a "plain" sugar cookie, I'll happily indulge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be one of these types. Kind of like the new RPG classes you get in an expansion pack that are always more overpowered than the ones in the original game. /nerd

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if there's another dichotomy?... and the reason some people are super fuzzy to type is because there are like 4 more types we're not even categorizing?! And I don't mean subtypes or anything... but like four extra MAIN types we are totally missing.

That would explain why I type these two very different kinds of people as ENFj I know. I mean, no other type fits them but they don't really seem related, and it doesn't seem a difference of subtype.

Is this a crazy idea?
    it is subtype related. Subtypes can look and act completely different. You would sometimes almost like to give them another type, but it can't.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a crazy idea?
    The idea that the personality spectrum consists of only four dichotomies and these neatly correspond with the ones we happen to know of is far crazier than yours.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh kids kids. There are so many things beyond socionics that it's not even funny.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someday... there will be a Theta Quadra...

However, Outgoing vs. Shy has been demonstrated to change over time for some people. We might be able to include it in Smilingeyes' system (if he doesn't already have something like that), but it wouldn't fit too well in the type-doesn't-change usual interpretation of Model A.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This idea is stupid and has been tried against Socionics for thousands of years and still has been unsuccessful. Socionics still remains and will continually remain the sole explanation for life in 3D animation.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of today, there are 6,815,500,000 types.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    As of today, there are 6,815,500,000 types.

What about the people who once lived but are now dead? Do their types get retired, much like the number on a baseball jersey of star player?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    What about the people who once lived but are now dead? Do their types get retired, much like the number on a baseball jersey of star player?
    Those 94% of people were just coincidences for death. There is a 99% chance for each person in this world to live forever. Though our past statistics were misrepresented, these 6%, representing not disproven results, will better serve Socionics for the future. We can count on the immortal!

Creepy-cinq

Is this a crazy idea?
    I don't think it's crazy to contemplate the idea. Personality type theories evolve over time. I think it's more to do with environmental influences (being raised/influenced to use a certain IM that falls outside your type's preferences) as well as underlying genetic, psychological conditions that can blur the possibility of identifying type correctly. Also, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to be genetically wired by chance to have two strong/co-dominant information elements not necessarily following the Model A order. Model A is elegant and logically symmetrical, but, anomalies happen all of the time in nature. Also, I know of a few other personality theories that suggest there exists an 'omni' type that is more or less a balanced type with no strong/dominant type preferences.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-cinq

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    Nik, you're a damn relativist bastard.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Something to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    We can have 106,456,367,669 possible types, no problem.

But now that I think about it, we can take it further and say dogs use Fi, dolphins use Fe, snakes use Si, crows use Ne, ants use Te etc.

In that case, we have:

10,000,000,000† x 4,540,000,000 x 106,456,367,669 = 4.83311909 × 10^30

That's

4,833,119,090,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possible types... on Earth.

If we find some Aliens out there who use Ni, then we can say:

N = R* x FP x NE(4.83311909 × 10^30) x FL x FI x FC x L

Conclusion: ∞ possible types!

New interdisplinary study: Astrosocionics!

Wacky Sources:
    [1] How Many People Have Ever Lived on Earth?
    [2] NASA Astrobiology
    [3] Geologic Time: Age of the Earth
    [4] The Drake Equation

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we're all aware that type cannot have just one representative 'cause...hmm... it's not type then.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinocchio View Post
    I think this is an insightful association, less sure about crows.
    Crows are very smart: [1] [2] [3]

What other animal could see the potential in things? Ne!

I know some birds out there can sense danger ahead of time and flock together to safety zones: Ni? I know most colonies out there (ants, termites, bees etc.) are all about efficiency and productivity within an entity, I never heard of them doing creative bee hives, or having sympathy for fire ants: Te?

According to my half-assed post-dinner research:

Elephants, canines: Fi
    Cats, lions: Se
    Dolphins, cockatoos: Fe
    Crows, octopuses: Ne
    Pigs, chimps: Ti
    Ants, termites, bees: Te
    Snakes, spiders: Si
    Whales, crossbills: Ni

[/socionics]
    [/crazy]
    [/idea]