Thread: Type the newbie

Default Type the newbie

Edit
    Last edited by GrimtheThird; 03-12-2011 at 07:01 AM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hello Newbie

You sound like an Si ego type...what do you think?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrimtheThird View Post
    Hey guys, a bit fresh to socionics and hoping to have some help determining my type.

I'm a pretty quiet guy most of the time, really just spending time mulling things over and pretty much keeping to myself. In the company of strangers, i'm not very expressive and I tend not to contribute much. However, with friends or family, I tend to let my thought flow outward a lot more. I tend to get absorbed in some interest or another in my free time, researching and reading from as many sources as possible. I also procrastinate horribly, due to thinking i'll do some activity or the other, or accomplish some goal, later and not now, and I end up putting things off indefinitely. I have an interest in learning how the various things in the world work, but I don't expend much effort in order to accomplish this.

Anyway, if you have questions, ask away. I can also provide photos if necessary.
    Sure, pictures can help.

So, far I have these two types in mind:

I don't think Si Ego fits too well. In fact, I tend not to even notice the kinds of things that Si supposedly captures.

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 'bout dem pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    How 'bout dem pictures?
    Edited them into the OP.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think IP temperament fits you?
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    SEI/ISFp
    IEI/INFp
    Yes, this was also my first impression.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ENTp or ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you get annoyed by people who are overly excited about new ideas or concepts that they haven't spent much time researching?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI? ILI? Not much info to go on here.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ISFp is my current impression.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

well it seems like people are agreeing on Ip, and i think that makes sense. what do you think? you said you don't notice the things Si supposedly notices - what sort of things do you notice, or end up being prominent in your mind more of the time?

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe SEI, IMO - but I really can't be sure. SEI fits with descr/pics, at least.
    I don't think Si Ego fits too well. In fact, I tend not to even notice the kinds of things that Si supposedly captures.
    That's a common prejudice, it's not true. IME SEIs are often absorbed, often like "what?" - and they get especially confused when they're under pressure, hurry, or noise, etc.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

SEI or Si ESE or Si something...
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Interesting stuff. I'll have to do a bit more research. I think I may have exaggerated this concept of putting things off.

As it is, i'm still not too sure on the Si Ego. I tend to spend a lot of time in my mind, so to speak. I'll sometimes find myself imagining some situation, where i'm explaining something to someone, or arguing a point. The point there is that I tend to get caught up in my thoughts.

When I plan things, it exists as a notion in my mind at most points, but if i'm involved in something more interesting, i'll spend time on that, or even look for something more interesting to do.

The more prominent thing in my mind a lot of the time, depends on wherever my current interest lies. I tend to carry them with me, investigating some problem or another mentally. I spend a bit of time analyzing, relating whatever i'm hearing or seeing back to some broad understanding I have of various things.

As for getting annoyed with others who haven't done the research on a new idea, so to speak, yes, especially if I know what they're talking about, and their view is quite shallow.

Creepy-Snaps

Do you like art?

Do you ever paint/draw/write in your freetime?

How good or bad are you at scheduling your week, using a calendar, and planning out your activities?

Which do you like more: the warm, clean smell of fresh laundry, or the satisfaction of solving an incredibly difficult puzzle?

Someone steals your lunch. What is your initial reaction?

Do you like sports? If so, what is your favorite sport, and why?

How easy/hard did you find answering these questions of mine? Do you get offended when someone asks open-ended questions, when you're not sure why they're asking, or what they're looking for, or does it not bother you? Be honest.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it is, i'm still not too sure on the Si Ego. I tend to spend a lot of time in my mind, so to speak. I'll sometimes find myself imagining some situation, where i'm explaining something to someone, or arguing a point. The point there is that I tend to get caught up in my thoughts.
    I can see that as rather Intuitive, yeah. I'm doubtful of being Si an run scenarios where you take decisions sequentially in your mind.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Do you like art?
    I do enjoy art, but I don't seek it out as a past time or anything like that.

Do you ever paint/draw/write in your freetime?
    When I was younger, I attempted artistic endeavors, as I had family members that were artistic. I was never that great at it, and I could never think of what to draw. This holds true to this day.

How good or bad are you at scheduling your week, using a calendar, and planning out your activities?
    I find it easy to schedule things using a calendar. I enjoy having these events go "according to plan". Planning comes easily to me when I have an idea of what usually happens, or I can work out the various factors.

Which do you like more: the warm, clean smell of fresh laundry, or the satisfaction of solving an incredibly difficult puzzle?
    Solving a puzzle. It's why i'm interested in Socionics and determining my own type.

Someone steals your lunch. What is your initial reaction?
    I'd be pretty annoyed, and would attempt to reacquire my lunch. If it's an anonymous person, i'd try to figure out who did it, and if I did, exact revenge anonymously, in a way that reflected their actions.

Do you like sports? If so, what is your favorite sport, and why?
    I don't enjoy watching sports, however I enjoy playing them. I don't really have a favorite sport, however tennis is a favorable one. I also enjoy playing basketball, but in a very casual way with friends.

How easy/hard did you find answering these questions of mine? Do you get offended when someone asks open-ended questions, when you're not sure why they're asking, or what they're looking for, or does it not bother you? Be honest.
    Answering these questions took a bit of time. I'm not always too sure of my preferences, and have to think a while. I don't think I get too offended when someone asks open-ended questions, as I enjoy attempting to guess their motivations and explain my own perspective. I'm actually glad that you asked some questions, as I wasn't too sure what kind of information to provide.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You look organized so far. How organized are you in real life?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    You look organized so far. How organized are you in real life?
    Not very much. I organize things I own every once in a while, say, every few weeks. But things never really stay organized. I do value having thing organized in a way that makes sense(Not just piles of "stuff").

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ILI is my hunch.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tbh i got Ne-ego from your initial description, GrimTheThird.

Mulling over things in your head, coming up with ideas, but putting them off because of other new ideas, which eventually becomes indefinitely.

That actually sounds Ne-dominant to me.

Also, being Ne-dominant would make you sort of oblivious to Si, something you also endorsed.

Are you good at assessing degrees of relationships between people? Would you consider yourself adept at diplomacy and solving people problems or problems between people?

If not, then consider ILE. If yes, then consider IEE.

p.s. just re-read your OP and saw that you like to immerse yourself in an interesting topic and find out as much as you can about it. Sounds Te-valuing for sure. Whatever type you are, I would bet you're either Gamma or Delta quadra.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ENTp or ILE
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I get too offended when someone asks open-ended questions, as I enjoy attempting to guess their motivations and explain my own perspective.
    Do you wonder a lot about people's motivations? For example, if someone who usually never talks to you starts being really nice, do you wonder what their selfish intentions are? Are you one of the more skeptical people out of your group of friends/family?

Are you attracted the most to the hot party girls?

Do you ever lie in your bed and think about death, what would happen when there's nothing, how you would finally feel when there's nothing left (if you would feel anything)?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also getting an impression of leading - doing research, working on projects, etc. Can you explain the part about exacting revenge a little more? Is it important for you to get back at people? Do you hold grudges easily? How much are you influenced by your emotions? Do you get attached to people and things?

Are you good at assessing degrees of relationships between people? Would you consider yourself adept at diplomacy and solving people problems or problems between people?
    I don't tend to asses relationships between people too much, paying attention only if things are glaring in most cases. If it catches my attention though, i'll put together hints from what has occurred before in order to understand. In matters of diplomacy, I attempt to be tactful in handling problems, settling on what seems like a "fair" solution. I would attempt to garner support from both sides for a solution, but if this doesn't work out, I would probably wash my hands of the problem.

Do you wonder a lot about people's motivations? For example, if someone who usually never talks to you starts being really nice, do you wonder what their selfish intentions are? Are you one of the more skeptical people out of your group of friends/family?
    I don't think too hard about people's motivations, I usually synthesize why they may be thinking or attempting to accomplish from previously held knowledge as well as general experience. I do doubt a lot, however, I tend to be more of an optimist.

Are you attracted the most to the hot party girls?
    I find that though they are hot, the behavior exhibited by party girls(to clarify, party girls being wild, loud, with a short attention span and general carelessness) is irritating.

Do you ever lie in your bed and think about death, what would happen when there's nothing, how you would finally feel when there's nothing left (if you would feel anything)?
    Lying in bed and thinking is a common past time of mine. I find these moments to hold the clearest thoughts for me, as I let my mind wander. I have trouble sleeping at night if i'm not completely exhausted because of this. However, these thoughts are transient in nature, and I would awaken the next morning not remembering the mental forays of the previous night.

Can you explain the part about exacting revenge a little more? Is it important for you to get back at people? Do you hold grudges easily? How much are you influenced by your emotions? Do you get attached to people and things?
    For revenge, i'd attempt to think of the various ways that I could exact revenge, in an eye for an eye kind of way, but maybe not even carry it out. I usually figure it's not worth it in most cases, and I tend to rationalize whatever happened. I do hold grudges, however, these are easily resolved with little effort from the offensive person. A small gesture is enough in my case. I don't really pay attention to my emotions unless they are overwhelming. I'll get into a bad mood, and not really notice. I guess it would be correct to label me more as passive-agressive in how I handle things involving my own emotions. As for attachment to things, if we're talking about things as in objects, then I don't get attached. I try not to cultivate attachment to material possessions. As for people, if I like someone i'll form a bit of an attachment to them, giving them my attention and so forth.
    Last edited by GrimtheThird; 03-05-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Clarifying some answers.

So, of the possible types here, it seems like we've narrowed it down to ILE or ILI. Personally, I think I prefer Alpha Quadra traits, though Gamma and Delta have been suggested. I'm not too sure about temperament however. I seem to agree with this Ij temperament, but i've seen no suggestions as to LII. Now, from the traits presented here, is LII a possibility?

So, i'm still not too certain of my type. I've got a few responses, but i'm not too satisfied. Although SEI has been suggested, I don't think I identify with Si as a base function. If you've got any more suggestions, i'd be open to them, and I would appreciate it if you could provide some kind of analysis.

If you need more info, just let me know.