Thread: Pendulum's new album

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pendulum's new album

I'm writing in here because I thought Pendulum were Beta digs.

Anyway, I think In Silico, for the most part, is shit. It's got nothing on their other album. Their last album was full of Ni. This is full of shit.

9000 Miles is a good song.
    Last edited by Ezra; 05-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't normally like that kind of music because it all seems the same, but I ended up getting Hold Your Colour for the song Blood Sugar, which is absolutely hilarious . Unfortunately, the song wasn't on the edition I got, but the album is good considering what I normally think of such music.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melancholy, perhaps?

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF, I love Pendulum.

How is it depressing for you Starfall? I think it's highly energizing and even "sexy" in that very OOMPH way.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm. eh. EH. nothing very original about this music. it's catchy, yes. the synths are played out presets, and the drums aren't unique. modern muzak. spit
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I'm not so sure, it's an odd feeling. I guess that kind of music hits an emotion, or reminds me of something. I get depressed by odd things like Scooby-Doo, it's weird, lol.
    Ahhh, you mean nostalgia. You get nostalgic. That's no bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    hmmm. eh. EH. nothing very original about this music. it's catchy, yes. the synths are played out presets, and the drums aren't unique. modern muzak. spit
    Eurgh. I spit on your traditionalist soul. Open your mind, my friend, and greatly shall you be rewarded.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Ahhh, you mean nostalgia. You get nostalgic. That's no bad thing.

Eurgh. I spit on your traditionalist soul. Open your mind, my friend, and greatly shall you be rewarded.
    ? i am not being closeminded. the music is bland duder. i've heard those synth presets and the melodies aren't unique. the drum machine beats are simple and i've heard them before. mix and match sample music has nothing to do with traditionalism. i just prefer something interesting. listening to instrumental music puts my expectations high. if you can't make the instruments sound good then why the fuck is someone making instrumental music? really, composition is getting old. texture and sound manipulation is interesting.

bed time.
    asd

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pendulum as in DnB Pendulum as in...Tarantula and Hold your Colour Pendulum?
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? i am not being closeminded. the music is bland duder. i've heard those synth presets and the melodies aren't unique. the drum machine beats are simple and i've heard them before. mix and match sample music has nothing to do with traditionalism. i just prefer something interesting. listening to instrumental music puts my expectations high. if you can't make the instruments sound good then why the fuck is someone making instrumental music? really, composition is getting old. texture and sound manipulation is interesting.
    I'd be very interested to here this music of which you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    Pendulum as in DnB Pendulum as in...Tarantula and Hold your Colour Pendulum?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very interested to here this music of which you speak.

Yes.

there are lots of musicians who make music with interesting textures and even interesting compositions.

here is something you might be familar with, tortoise- seneca(give it at least 3 minutes before you give up listening):

here is another band with a similar but much more dissonant sound. don caballero - sure we had knives around:

^ this song is cool;

there is a lot better music than this, granted. but this is some more interesting stuff.
    more in the same vein Battles - B + T (this my favorite of the three):
    Last edited by olduser; 05-14-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is something you might be familar with, tortoise- seneca
    Yeah, I am familiar with that song. It's good.

here is another band with a similar but much more dissonant sound. don caballero - sure we had knives around:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5Pv...eature=related

^ this song is cool;

there is a lot better music than this, granted. but this is some more interesting stuff.
    more in the same vein Battles - B + T (this my favorite of the three):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9mkg...eature=related
    Both of those (in fact, all three) sound nothing like Pendulum. Hence, Pendulum is, to my mind, original.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I listen to Pendulum's first album (HYC) when playing Ultimate or just generally associating the fast paced, sonic beats with playing Frisbee. I thought it was a good album, although I had to delete the Tarantula song since it bugged me with its pseudo-reggae sound.

I am not a fan of D&B but 'Future step' the sub-genre of D&B I really enjoy, I find the galactic trance quite an experience to listen too. It's strange because it doesn't particularly adhere to my other music tastes.

Check out this song. DJ Fresh. If you like Pendulum you will probably like this. Vice Versa of course.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh...? Pend-yerlum...? What's that? Speak up -- can't hear ya! Is that some of that noise that you young whippersnappers call rock-and-roll? Aw, fiddlesticks... in my day, younguns listened to a nice Bach concerto. And they stayed properly in their seats, not flailing any of their limbs or appendages about wildly or nothin. OK, maybe if they were really into it, they'd tap a foot.

And only the really rebellious ones went to hear Beethoven symphonies!!! Everybody knew those Beethoven-lovers came from the wrong side of the tracks! No respectable person would mix with them! Unless you wanted your good reputation sullied!! You might even see a woman's ankles exposed at a Beethoven symphony!!

And THEN where would you be??? I'll tell ya! A one way ticket to Hellsville!!! Right down the primrose path to the DEVIL! Yup!!!

socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay heathie, I see where you're coming from with all this and stuff, but come ON - Pendulum is catchy as fuck, fun, and great to dance to. That's that, really. Boo on your seriousness.

And I did listen to those songs you posted. They just don't grab me. To me, THEY are the ones that are boring and bland. Sure, they might be all creative and whatnot, putting random shit together but uhm, sometimes random shit doesn't sound too good, ya know? Whatever works for you though, I guess. I just find this sort of thing pretentious. I used to be like that with music. Then I realized, I'm stupid. Different music is good for different occasions - do not stick to one genre, or one "section" of music! The only kind of music I detest is the kind that truly has no redeeming quality - no good lyrics, no good melody, no unique qualities, no danceability factor, no catchiness, no evoking of emotion...

Just plain crap. And that's not Pendulum! Almost no music I can think of on the spot is bad...

Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    yeah, I think I've found that I don't really like discussing music with people. I should have realized this sooner. different people appreciate different things. period.
    Definitely. High five girlfriend. But it really sucks how I used to think taste in music really accounted for much in a person. I used to be so judgmental *shakes head at past self*

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh is a must-hear. Part of the appeal is that the teeny boppers haven't got a hold on his music yet. But part of it is to do with the fact that although the production on both his album, Escape From Planet Monday, and Pendulum's debut, Hold Your Colour, are top notch, his album is ten times more dynamic and variated than Pendulum's. Pendulum sounds the same, and this is even worse on their new album. Escape, however, has a much richer sound that you don't (or maybe shouldn't) get bored of. I advise anyone who even shows interest in Pendulum's sound (even for bad reasons) to give it a listen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh is a must-hear. Part of the appeal is that the teeny boppers haven't got a hold on his music yet. But part of it is to do with the fact that although the production on both his album, Escape From Planet Monday, and Pendulum's debut, Hold Your Colour, are top notch, his album is ten times more dynamic and variated than Pendulum's. Pendulum sounds the same, and this is even worse on their new album. Escape, however, has a much richer sound that you don't (or maybe shouldn't) get bored of. I advise anyone who even shows interest in Pendulum's sound (even for bad reasons) to give it a listen.
    I felt like I was reading some sort of music magazine. NME or the electronic counterpart of Kerrang!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Okay heathie, I see where you're coming from with all this and stuff, but come ON - Pendulum is catchy as fuck, fun, and great to dance to. That's that, really. Boo on your seriousness.

And I did listen to those songs you posted. They just don't grab me. To me, THEY are the ones that are boring and bland. Sure, they might be all creative and whatnot, putting random shit together but uhm, sometimes random shit doesn't sound too good, ya know? Whatever works for you though, I guess. I just find this sort of thing pretentious. I used to be like that with music. Then I realized, I'm stupid. Different music is good for different occasions - do not stick to one genre, or one "section" of music! The only kind of music I detest is the kind that truly has no redeeming quality - no good lyrics, no good melody, no unique qualities, no danceability factor, no catchiness, no evoking of emotion...

Just plain crap. And that's not Pendulum! Almost no music I can think of on the spot is bad...
    I like most of the things you listed. but sometimes intellectually stimulating music is cool too. something totally exploratory.

i freaking love party music, but i understand and accept it's usually unoriginal.
    here is some of my favorite dance music:

there is plenty more.
    I used to play music in a dance specific band. the only band in town with that sort of sound. : p i love to dance.
    asd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I agree. Pendulum's new album is average. The inclusion of voices are a generally likable addition however sloppy lyrics let them down. The beats are good but don't have that adrenaline that HYC had.

It's not a bad album for Futurestep, but it's a let down for Pendulum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Definitely. High five girlfriend. But it really sucks how I used to think taste in music really accounted for much in a person. I used to be so judgmental *shakes head at past self*
    haha. i have a million and one of such similar regrets.
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided to delete this album from my library. Whenever I want to listen to 9000 Miles I'll just go on YouTube.