Thread: discussion of instinct stackings

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default discussion of instinct stackings

I am making this thread to productively discuss the meaning of the various instincts (they are very important, despite what some ppl say) and correct misinterpretations, as there seem to be a few.

Feel free to ask me any question regarding this topic, and I will respond as thoroughly as possible.

One problem I have is that so many people think they're sx. My intuition is that they think it makes them intense or something. dunno, but all the instincts are equal and have their own role; there is no better or worse.

Ok, so seriously, ask me questions about this shit. Instincts are awesome and I will expound for pages if necessary lol.

YEE YEE UHYEE YEEUH

w/e
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more coffees for you......

In 50 words or less each, what are the different instinct stackings
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    One problem I have is that so many people think they're sx.
    You could be aswell one of the problems, given that you're sx too. I don't want to dispute your typing at all, but pay attention not to become your own potential problem
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. I think I'm sp/sex with soc last. I do think they're important. Okay so here's a question for you: which stacking goes best with which. For instance, if I'm sp/sx, who would I match up best with? sp/soc? sx/sp? (I mean, in theory. I'm already married. I dunno what he is, probably sp/soc--he's a 6)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vero

In 50 words or less each, what are the different instinct stackings
    Oh, but coffee sustains me, it does, realllllyyy

ok, umm...

sx/sp: most conflicted, has a very specific type of intensity (will manifest differently depending on socion and e-type), a sharp, focused energy.

sx/so: Primary drive is mental flux (vibrations...intensity...enriching experience), with a social field there on a general level.

sp/sx: Has an intensity like sx/sp, but more laid-back and subdued.

sp/so: probably the most complacent, in terms of energy (especially if IP).

so/sx: often mistake themselves for sx primary (dunno y), cares about the external connection, approval, etc, but also has that "spark" (gilly)

so/sp: hard to describe my polar opposite, but seeks a sort of balance...get the external social field with self needs as back up...sometimes needs to have an sx jolt them

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    You could be aswell one of the problems, given that you're sx too. I don't want to dispute your typing at all, but pay attention not to become your own potential problem
    hmm? I could be a problem because I'm a 4 who idealizes certain traits and gets over-activated when I see contradictions in these with other people...I think I get your gist. And my typing is correct lol
    Last edited by strrrng; 08-15-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron
    I dunno. I think I'm sp/sex with soc last. I do think they're important. Okay so here's a question for you: which stacking goes best with which. For instance, if I'm sp/sx, who would I match up best with? sp/soc? sx/sp? (I mean, in theory. I'm already married. I dunno what he is, probably sp/soc--he's a 6)
    I don't know you well enough to say.

identical stackings go best together. This isn't like socionics where you seek a balance. Since instincts are drives, you want someone on the same wavelength. An sx will eventually get bored with someone who isn't sx primary, and so on. I think because of their fundamental nature, we need similarity in instincts in others; it's like your behavioral orientation to experience.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

identical stackings go best together. This isn't like socionics where you seek a balance. Since instincts are drives, you want someone on the same wavelength. An sx will eventually get bored with someone who isn't sx primary, and so on. I think because of their fundamental nature, we need similarity in instincts in others; it's like your behavioral orientation to experience.
    that's what I meant. I was wondering if an sp-first would be best paired with another sp-first. Etc.

Okay.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    eh, i don't really agree with these, Nick.
    Of course you don't, you're revolutionizing the definitions of instincts as I speak.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I like the ocean moonshine descriptions of instincts for each specific type. I think we really have to keep in mind that in each type the instict will manifest itself very differently.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what stacking am i and why. advance warning: i'm likely to ignore your answer if i think it's just worthless abstract nonsense.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Personally I like the ocean moonshine descriptions of instincts for each specific type. I think we really have to keep in mind that in each type the instict will manifest itself very differently.
    good point.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-Diana

Last edited by Diana; 08-15-2008 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also social VERY much last.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed
    what stacking am i and why. advance warning: i'm likely to ignore your answer if i think it's just worthless abstract nonsense.
    Not completely sure. I used to think sp/so or sp/sx. But I don't sense any of the sx intensity with you. Also, even though you're an ass lol, you seem to value having that social role (illustrated in the so 5 description) as the, what was it, expert? I dunno. Can't really say much on sp, but I'm pretty certain so is in there somewhere.

I believe Allie, the instinct master, has you typed so/sp. Maybe she could shed more insight on your type.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not completely sure. I used to think sp/so or sp/sx. But I don't sense any of the sx intensity with you. Also, even though you're an ass lol, you seem to value having that social role (illustrated in the so 5 description) as the, what was it, expert? I dunno. Can't really say much on sp, but I'm pretty certain so is in there somewhere.

I believe Allie, the instinct master, has you typed so/sp. Maybe she could shed more insight on your type.
    so your answer is you have no clue. thanks.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed
    so your answer is you have no clue. thanks.
    sp/so or so/sp.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram Type Stackings

How do you figure out your own individual type stackings?
    Whenever i find some new personality typology i try to figure my own typing first and verify it with others opinions. With the enneagram i have been having more difficulty, so can someone please help a enneagram novice.
    EII, INFj Intuitive subtype (The Teacher)

6w5 Type Stacking: Sp/Sx/So

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e1428...position=55:55

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e1428...position=80:80

All I can suggest is this webpage. Im no expert on this either as Im not sure if Im sx/sp or sx/so.
    Last edited by Ave; 11-01-2011 at 09:19 PM.

TIM
    3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/intro.asp

Self Preservation Instinct
    People who have this as their dominant instinct are preoccupied with the safety, comfort, health, energy, and well-being of the physical body. In a word, they are concerned with having enough resources to meet life's demands. Identification with the body is a fundamental focus for all humans, and we need our body to function well in order to be alive and active in the world. Most people in contemporary cultures are not faced life or death "survival" in the strictest sense; thus, Self-Preservation types tend to be concerned with food, money, housing, medical matters, and physical comfort. Moreover, those primarily focused on self-preservation, by extension, are usually interested in maintaining these resources for others as well. Their focus of attention naturally goes towards things related to these areas such as clothes, temperature, shopping, decorating, and the like, particularly if they are not satisfied in these areas or have a feeling of deficiency due to their childhoods. Self-Pres types tend to be more grounded, practical, serious, and introverted than the other two instinctual types. They might have active social lives and a satisfying intimate relationship, but if they feel that their self-preservation needs are not being met, still tend not to be happy or at ease. In their primary relationships, these people are "nesters"—they seek domestic tranquility and security with a stable, reliable partner.

Sexual (aka "Attraction") Instinct
    Many people originally identify themselves as this type because they have learned that the Sexual types are interested in "one-on-one relationships." But all three instinctual types are interested in one-on-one relationships for different reasons, so this does not distinguish them. The key element in Sexual types is an intense drive for intimacy and a constant awareness of the "chemistry" between themselves and others. Sexual types are immediately aware of the attraction, or lack thereof, between themselves and other people. Further, while the basis of this instinct is related to sexuality, it is not necessarily about people engaging in the sexual act. There are many people that we are excited to be around for reasons of personal chemistry that we have no intention of "getting involved with." Nonetheless, we might be aware that we feel stimulated in certain people's company and less so in others. The sexual type is constantly moving toward that sense of intense stimulation and intimacy in their relationships and in their activities. They are the most "energized" of the three instinctual types, and tend to be more aggressive, competitive, charged, and emotionally intense than the Self-Pres or Social types. Sexual types need to have deep intimacy in their primary relationships or else they remain unsatisfied. They enjoy being intensely involved—even merged—with others, and can become disenchanted with partners who are unable to meet their need for intense energetic union. Losing yourself in a "fusion" of being is the ideal here, and Sexual types are always looking for this state with others and with stimulating objects in their world.

Social (aka "Adaptive") Instinct
    Just as many people tend to misidentify themselves as Sexual types because they want one-on-one relationships, many people fail to recognize themselves as Social types because they get the (false) idea that this means always being involved in groups, meetings, and parties. If Self-Preservation types are interested in adjusting the environment to make themselves more secure and comfortable, Social types adapt themselves to serve the needs of the social situation they find themselves in. Thus, Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them. Moreover, Sexual types seek intimacy, Social types seek personal connection: they want to stay in long-term contact with people and to be involved in their world. Social types are the most concerned with doing things that will have some impact on their community, or even broader domains. They tend to be warmer, more open, engaging, and socially responsible than the other two types. In their primary relationships, they seek partners with whom they can share social activities, wanting their intimates to get involved in projects and events with them. Paradoxically, they actually tend to avoid long periods of exclusive intimacy and quiet solitude, seeing both as potentially limiting. Social types lose their sense of identity and meaning when they are not involved with others in activities that transcend their individual interests.
    I am midline on the so/sp bit on my second stacking, but always sx-first.
    언제나.

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!
    This should help. I'll ask my family and friends opinion, since i can't discern my socionics type stacking myself. If anyone else would like to add more that would be great. This can be a good thread for others who need help as well.
    EII, INFj Intuitive subtype (The Teacher)

6w5 Type Stacking: Sp/Sx/So

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How can I determine my own enneagram type and stacking?

Could you help me? I think enneagram type is more difficult for me to settle on. I suppose I'm 6w7 but I'm not entirely sure and I have problems with stacking - I hesitate between sp/sx and sx/sp. If you have any tips, I'd be really grateful,

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this one website that is particularly good: Click here for E6 stackings.

Hopefully that helps! I know it has helped me a bit.
    Unless you've seen it already...in which case, I'm sorry I wasn't more useful. :/
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)