Thread: Agree or disagree, & explain why:

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Agree or disagree, & explain why:

For all the psychic energy you spend on something, you must spend an equal amount of psychic energy finding something new.

I want your point of view on this statement. Do you think it's true? I'm guessing you will find a way to disagree. What elements do you feel the statement is alluding to?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get it. What do they mean by "finding something new"?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratXII View Post
    For all the psychic energy you spend on something, you must spend an equal amount of psychic energy finding something new.

I want your point of view on this statement. Do you think it's true? I'm guessing you will find a way to disagree. What elements do you feel the statement is alluding to?
    It might be true... depending on the definition of "psychic energy." Not that I think that you can define those terms, but I can generate intuitive formulas in my head to define "psychic energy" in a way that makes it true, whereas I think it would not be true in the way that most people would read it.

EDIT: Also the definition of "finding something new" as redbaron stated; but I assume that means something new of the same sort, that would replace it.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-female

i don't know how to apply it universally, but it sounds like a psychological addiction. or a basic stimulus reward model. i think it's true in that application, at least, it logically follows and seems to match up with reality. if you channel a bunch of psychological energy into something, you're going to have to use at least as much energy to break free from it..breaking free could constitute finding another outlet in which to put it. or finding something new, which is basically the same thing, because why would you try something new when the psychological connection, promise, of rewards or whatever, is so fulfilled by the current addiction? this is assuming you're not a healthy person and that you don't have anything else to go towards in your life, but hey, that fits the model too, because if you had other pursuits you could disperse your energy into them so the overall average output is greater. i think you are onto something here. the problem is is that addictions or psychological outlets into something can start out small and grow very gradually, and then you have to cope with this huge amount of psychological energy that needs redirecting. so you can either break it all off brittlely like a piece of taffy and hope that you can survive the backlash and it doesn't destroy you. or your can wean yourself off gradually, into something else. the problem with the first is the gaping hole left behind after decimation, if you don't fall into your old addiction something equally as bad or consuming will come along and take it's place. i think maybe dealing with this would go about taking a practical manners. like not expecting too much of yourself if you're a perfectionist, instead just taking small steps. like that reminds me of that one quote where someone says it's your habits that make your break you. which is actually pretty discouraging and it's tempting to take the shorter route of actions being easy because they're rewarding but in the long run that will turn into another addiction problem and i think the potential for growth is a lot if one can weather the hard things, but you still have the problem of one getting so fucking tired of weathering the hard things anything, and what's the point of so much pain because it will start seeming like life is all pain and then it's even easier to fall back into the addiction again. fee fi fo fum.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i don't know how to apply it universally, but it sounds like a psychological addiction. or a basic stimulus reward model. i think it's true in that application, at least, it logically follows and seems to match up with reality. if you channel a bunch of psychological energy into something, you're going to have to use at least as much energy to break free from it..breaking free could constitute finding another outlet in which to put it. or finding something new, which is basically the same thing, because why would you try something new when the psychological connection, promise, of rewards or whatever, is so fulfilled by the current addiction? this is assuming you're not a healthy person and that you don't have anything else to go towards in your life, but hey, that fits the model too, because if you had other pursuits you could disperse your energy into them so the overall average output is greater. i think you are onto something here. the problem is is that addictions or psychological outlets into something can start out small and grow very gradually, and then you have to cope with this huge amount of psychological energy that needs redirecting. so you can either break it all off brittlely like a piece of taffy and hope that you can survive the backlash and it doesn't destroy you. or your can wean yourself off gradually, into something else. the problem with the first is the gaping hole left behind after decimation, if you don't fall into your old addiction something equally as bad or consuming will come along and take it's place. i think maybe dealing with this would go about taking a practical manners. like not expecting too much of yourself if you're a perfectionist, instead just taking small steps. like that reminds me of that one quote where someone says it's your habits that make your break you. which is actually pretty discouraging and it's tempting to take the shorter route of actions being easy because they're rewarding but in the long run that will turn into another addiction problem and i think the potential for growth is a lot if one can weather the hard things, but you still have the problem of one getting so fucking tired of weathering the hard things anything, and what's the point of so much pain because it will start seeming like life is all pain and then it's even easier to fall back into the addiction again. fee fi fo fum.
    You are SUCH a water mage. <3 +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems to relate to action and reaction. To get what you give.

It is a little vague because it uses the term must and also is vague about the term something new.

It reminds me of a magnet I saw in Providence, Rhode Island which said:

Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    Last edited by Waddlesworth; 11-16-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    You are SUCH a water mage. <3 +1
    I am sure that somewhere in the world this statement actually means something. I'm just not sure where that somewhere is.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. agreed.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on how you define "something". If "something" is "interacting with the world" then this statement is meaningless and I disagree. If "something" is "hanging out with your best friend" maybe it's a little more meaningful, and if something is "writing poetry" or "trying to look good physically" or "shopping" or even "reading a socionics forum" then I do agree, although I think that there are some ends high enough that they can be pursued alone (but all those ends require just the sort of multiple uses of psychic energy, using multiple aspects, etc. that the quote talks about I think).

Also I agree with what dolphin said, I think.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sure. It takes mindpower to start something, but then it's just routine.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another theory that has no practical application whatsoever?
    ﴾ لَهُمْ دَارُ السَّلاَمِ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّهُمْ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ ﴿
    "When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand.
    If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue.
    If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart.
    And this is the weakest of faith."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but I wouldn't expect you to be interested and I won't give you the time to discuss it with you.
    Yes dolphin, that is one good application of the principle, and something which came to mind.
    Last edited by crazedrat; 11-16-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what dolphin said makes sense!
    IEI-Fe 4w3