Thread: Is Te,Ti thinking what other people are thinking

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Te,Ti thinking what other people are thinking

If Fi,Fe is feeling what other people are feeling, empathy that is. Is there such a thing as thinkathy?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fi is understanding how people feel. Fe is making them feel a certain way.
    Ti is thinking about connections. Te is thinking about facts.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

do you find yourself asking people that alot?

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    yes but as a thinker, do you find it easy to figure out what someone is thinking? like say if there was a crime to be solved? would you find it easy to think through all the thoughts that might be running through the mind of the perpetrator? i'd find it easy to figure out what they would have been feeling and finding suspects with a motive but, if say, it was a fraud case with lots of business deals and stuff my brain would get muddled trying to guess what the perpetrator was thinking.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by humblepie View Post
    do you find it easy to figure out what someone is thinking?
    It's certainly easier than finding out what they're feeling, but it depends on the type. It's hard to know what an ILE is thinking. It's easy to know what an LSE is thinking.
    like say if there was a crime to be solved? would you find it easy to think through all the thoughts that might be running through the mind of the perpetrator?
    As I mentioned, it depends what type the perpetrator is. If he's an algorithmic, certainly I could figure it out.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    [Figuring out what someone's thinking is] certainly easier than finding out what they're feeling, but it depends on the type. It's hard to know what an ILE is thinking. It's easy to know what an LSE is thinking.
    In that respect, though, would it be equally easy for you to "know" what an LSE's feeling?

If you're self-aware of your logic enough to predict what an identical (or someone close to it) would be thinking, couldn't you maybe do the same for emotion and feeling?

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    In that respect, though, would it be equally easy for you to "know" what an LSE's feeling?

If you're self-aware of your logic enough to predict what an identical (or someone close to it) would be thinking, couldn't you maybe do the same for emotion and feeling?
    that could be a little homework assignment for you now.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Maybe if I concentrated, but LSEs aren't exactly known for showing emotion.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pie
    that could be a little homework assignment for you now.
    But I'm not LSE, I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by DA
    Maybe if I concentrated, but LSEs aren't exactly known for showing emotion.
    If emotion (internal or external) isn't something you'd naturally look for, I guess that makes a lot of sense.

I suppose I was kinda wondering if you'd be especially adept at reading (or translating) the ultra-subtle emotional expressions in others of your type. Though their feelings aren't blatantly obvious themselves, maybe you'd be cued in to an LSE's emotional restraint/suppression/tension.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If emotion (internal or external) isn't something you'd naturally look for, I guess that makes a lot of sense.
    I watch for external emotion just so I can comprehend people. Internal emotion must be infrared or something, 'cause I can't see it.

I suppose I was kinda wondering if you'd be especially adept at reading (or translating) the ultra-subtle emotional expressions in others of your type. Though their feelings aren't blatantly obvious themselves, maybe you'd be cued in to an LSE's emotional restraint/suppression/tension.
    Yeah, I can do that. I can tell when any algorithmic is hiding something, just not what they're hiding.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Waffles.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, kinda happens automatically.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII-D and -N more than LII-C and -H, it would seem. I don't know what others are thinking so much as I try to create concepts that their mind will "grab onto" and accept as true. Generally, if you explain the reasons a thing is true, then any Ti function, no matter how weak, will generally accept the validity of the premise, unless the Ti function is troubled by something psychiatric...

TIM
    IEE, enfp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I'm not LSE, I don't think. .
    i was adressing abbie with that one, would that be the introversion/extraversion difference causing that confusion?

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    This is rather vague, so you have to be more specific on what you mean by "how people feel", as in, regards to what?
    Both Fe and Fi are ethical elements, so they deal with humans and feelings but their approach is different

Notes on "The Socion, or Socionics Basics" -- pg. 2

This is the subjective relationship between two carriers of potential or kinetic energy that shows the level of attraction (or repulsion) between one object or subject and another object or subject. Thanks to this IM element a person feels which objects attract him and which repel him. You might say that this perceptual element conveys information about objects' need or lack of need of each other and about the presence or absence of mutual or one-way needs.

Perceives information about processes taking place in objects — first of all, emotional processes that are taking place in people, their excitation or subduedness, and their moods. This perceptual element implies the ability to know what excites people, and what suppresses them. It defines a person's ability or inability to control his emotional state, and also the emotional states of other people.
    Both Te and Ti are concerned with facts, equally, their approach to determining accuracy is what sets them apart
    I rather like how Expat explained how Te vs Ti works in this illustration

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-question.html

Fi-Te:
    Fi-Te quadra types - in a "pure", "unrealistic" situation - would prefer to communicate in ways that avoid any selection or interpretation of information - in a "robotic" way even. Which is why, by the way, at least the rational Gamma/Delta dual couples become increasingly "unemotional" with time, at least to outsiders -- they find comfort precisely in the reassurance that there is no need to select information with that particular person, no need to "read between the lines".

So, Fi-Te's way of getting "correct" information is to choose the specific sources of information (not necessarily human beings, but it's more illustrative if we think of it that way) that they can trust, and then in principle take all the information from those sources at face value.

The downfall of doing this: if you choose badly those specific sources of information (or individuals), because then you're vulnerable to all sorts of misinformation.

Fe-Ti
    Fe-Ti quadra types are far more "open" to the specific sources of information, that is, they are not selecting information based on their sources -- they get it from everyone; however, rather than "filter" it through Fi by selecting the sources carefully, they "filter" it through Fe (which already reads between the lines) and Ti (which sees what really makes sense and what is just, uh, padding or make-up etc).

The downfall of doing this: your "filter" may lead you to be "biased" towards information that already fits certain already accepted notions; or be open to information that is factually unsustainable, but makes sense according to Fe and Ti.
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be intuition (I mean, in response to the OP). Which is why NT types are said to have less problems with emotions (in close relationships) when compared with ST types.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had to look up op.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not aware so much what others are thinking but rather more how they think.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    your conflictor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinks about consequenses and developments etc.

if the bankaccount is out of money i won't be able to buy food, if i wont be able to buy food i'll go hungry - how practical things develop.

Thinks in 1+X=3

and X has to be 2 since i know about 1 already, so everything i can accept has to correspond with 1. If X still says it's something else than 2 it's not possible and i can bitch and argue about it forever - how theretical things interact with eachother.

Logic is not related to being able to tell what other people are thinking, it's just different from ethics because it makes logical assumptions about people while ethicals make ethical assumptions.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was some thread about empathy being shared between similar types, which I agree with. In this case, Te and Ti are probably best suited for following lines of reasoning, whether they are pursuing pragmatic resourcefulness or issues of conceptual consistency and fit.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

If Fi,Fe is feeling what other people are feeling, empathy that is. Is there such a thing as thinkathy?
    LOL
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you mean compassion instead of empathy?
    Empathy is a cognitive (mental) trick to place yourself in the shoes of someone else.
    Compassion is feeling yourself the feeling that is present in someone else.

Empathy is leaving your position in the world, compassion is adding (a feeling) to your current position.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    do you mean compassion instead of empathy?
    Excuse me if I am raining on everyone's parade, but what about sympathy. Can each one of you put that in socionics speak ?

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That would be intuition (I mean, in response to the OP). Which is why NT types are said to have less problems with emotions (in close relationships) when compared with ST types.
    I think this might be due to NTs having a better handle on Ni than STs, which I suspect is important in wondering about things beyond what is apparent; Allowing the mind to explore possibilities/explanations about why someone might be thinking a certain way at this time, and actually entertaining them enough to take them seriously and checking if they are true. Well, at least this is my issue with STs. I think the only time STs would wonder about what someone is thinking is because they're showing unusual behavior.