Thread: The Alphas And Their Super Powers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Alphas And Their Super Powers

Okay, is it just me or is it an Alpha thing. I always wonder if I am destined for great things.

You know, something terrible happening on Earth and then the fate of the world resting on my shoulders - that sort of thing.

Or even just like saving an orphanage with strength previously unknown all to a orchestra playing the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's Sunshine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn View Post
    You know, something terrible happening on Earth and then the fate of the world resting on my shoulders - that sort of thing.
    Fwiw, this is exactly the kind of thing I personally wouldn't want to happen.

EDIT: I'll elaborate. The main reason I would be against the fate of the world resting on my shoulders is lack of self-confidence, essentially. If the fate of the world were to rest on someone's shoulders, I would prefer it to rest on the shoulders of someone more competent in whatever is required, because I couldn't be sure that my own shoulders would be able to bear the load. I tend to be a good source of general knowledge but not specific stuff, and in addition I minored in Philosophy. Putting those two things together, I'm certain about very little - probably the topics I have spent the most time researching are basic robotics and Socionics, and yet I'm far from an expert at either. If someone told me, "all the children in Mongolia will die unless you tell me Buddha's type within an hour!" or "all the children in Mongolia will die unless you tell me within an hour whether this starter motor will work best for my robot design!", that would be more of a stressful situation than a positive one.

Of course, if someone told me, "all the children in Mongolia will die unless you can tell me the sum of two and three within an hour!" that would be significantly less stressful, and I'd be happy to do it, although it would be more a matter of being in the right place at the right time than any skill (most people I know could answer that), and I would wonder about the sanity of any people that threatened an entire generation for a simple math problem.
    Last edited by Elro; 05-22-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn View Post
    Okay, is it just me or is it an Alpha thing. I always wonder if I am destined for great things.

Or even just like saving an orphanage with strength previously unknown all to a orchestra playing the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's Sunshine.
    Yeah - I relate. Though for me it's more a helping-individuals thing rather than the whole world. :-)

An orchestra might be distracting though, Idk.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to help others, I just want people to give me money. Is that so much to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I don't want to help others, I just want people to give me money. Is that so much to ask?
    Have you tried standing on the street corner on one leg with a styrofoam cup balanced on your head and a cardboard placard outlining your wishes strapped to your chest?

I think you'd be surprised how obliging people can be.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."