Thread: Course preparation and type

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Course preparation and type

I recently taught an introductory email course for interested library patrons. I thought I thoroughly prepared for the course. I outlined everything I wanted to cover and made course handouts, with screenshots and step-by-step explanations on setting up an email account, composing messages, and navigating through email.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Yes, I throughly prepared the course content but I overlooked basic things like putting a sign up on the library's computer lab door that there would be a class in session. Then I forgot to bring pencils for the patrons to take notes with. So I had to run back to the reference desk to grab some.

Worse yet, I never properly did the introductions. Just told them my name and just jumped right into the material. Never even did a formal introduction thing where the participants go around the table sharing their name and what they hope to learn from the class. That sort of thing. Typical logical type neglecting the ethical elements.

And worst of all, I wasn't quite prepared for how weak some of the participants computer skills were. I felt I spent more time helping some of them properly use a mouse and keyboard than teaching them about email.

After the alloted 60 minutes for the course, one of the participants walked out in frustration never successfully setting up an email account. Two other participants took a whole hour just to get an email account set up. My goal was to have everyone get an email account set up AND learn email basics such as sending a message, deleting messages, and navigating the inbox and other key folders. That did not happen. Out of six participants, only two of them, managed to succesfully send me an email message, after going 15 minutes overtime to help them do so.

In short, this course was FUBAR. (Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition)

How much of this poor planning on my part is type related?

Is this an INTj thing or not to overestimate the abilities and background knowledge of the participants?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I've seen this (or something like it) over and over again in INTJs. Too bluntly put, I'd call it an obliviousness to the thoughts, needs, and feelings of others. It's as if they're unwilling (or, perhaps, unable) to put themselves in someone else's shoes and look at the world from a different perspective.

For the longest time, I'd figured it was some blatantly intentional fault; but, going off your situation, there's nothing remotely malicious or ill-willed about it. It's as if your students' flaws (or potential ones) just never came to mind. In your case, being oblivious was, in a weird way, kinda virtuous.

Rambling aside, though, might it be related to strong Ne and ultra-weak Fi/Fe? As an INFj, I'd put myself at the far "other" extreme (i.e. I worry and ruminate about others to the point that it debilitates me.)

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Actually, I've seen this (or something like it) over and over again in INTJs. Too bluntly put, I'd call it an obliviousness to the thoughts, needs, and feelings of others. It's as if they're unwilling (or, perhaps, unable) to put themselves in someone else's shoes and look at the world from a different perspective.
    How was she showing an obliviousness to the thoughts, needs and feelings of others? I think that's a rather dramatic conclusion to come to after she described herself as going overtime in trying to help them learn.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't a total failure. You did end up getting two people to successfully email you. It is not your fault that people who don't know how to use a computer at all came to your course. Now you know what changes need to be made if you choose to teach the course again. I'm sure it will go better next time.

I'm not sure that it was totally type related as much as it was something new that you had never done before and could not know all of the details, especially the inability of your students to use a keyboard and mouse.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
    It wasn't a total failure. You did end up getting two people to successfully email you. It is not your fault that people who don't know how to use a computer at all came to your course. Now you know what changes need to be made if you choose to teach the course again. I'm sure it will go better next time.

I'm not sure that it was totally type related as much as it was something new that you had never done before and could not know all of the details, especially the inability of your students to use a keyboard and mouse.

Next time I teach the course, I'm going to have a prerequisite that participants must be comfortable using the mouse and keyboard.

Creepy-Cyclops

It seems to me that you didn't really do anything wrong, it was your first time and it's bound to be a learning curve.

Something which may be useful, is with this or something similar in the future, you could maybe try to sit in and assist someone who's already done it (or something similar), or just watch what they do for some ideas to add to your own.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon
    How was she showing an obliviousness to the thoughts, needs and feelings of others? I think that's a rather dramatic conclusion to come to after she described herself as going overtime in trying to help them learn.
    Like I said, way "too bluntly put." "Obliviousness" was really meant as a general LII vice, not a back-handed critique of W-L or her situation. She obviously didn't have anything against her students (she prepped; she taught; she stayed late; she cared a ton), but the relational bits of teaching just never sprung to mind.

W-L, mistake's no big deal. It's good. Like Bardia said, now you know where you're strong, where you're weak, and how to make next class perfect.

My only rec? If you get a spare minute while prepping for next time, ask yourself "What can I do to make my students happy, comfortable, relaxed, interested, etc.?" Dumb as it sounds (and, logically, is), some students care as much about those things as they do about actually learning something. Leaving your course a big-grinned e-mail failure is still a satisfying "win" to some.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You're being too hard on yourself here. Why are smart people so spineless? Kick ass and develop a physical presence. (Hate to be so blunt but yeah)

Also this: "Never even did a formal introduction thing where the participants go around the table sharing their name and what they hope to learn from the class."

I hate that anyway! So I'm glad you didn't do that!!! I don't know anybody else that enjoys those things. They aren't 'ethical or emotional.' They are dumb and pointless! Just tell me what I need to know already!!! The emotional impact of a situation comes out naturally no matter what you're doing. You can't force emotions!!!

Then I forgot to bring pencils for the patrons to take notes with. So I had to run back to the reference desk to grab some.
    So what man? Nobody's perfect - ya gotta work it, again and again till you get it right. Cut out all the aw shuckiness middle class-ness or jocks are gonna give you a wedgie.

After the alloted 60 minutes for the course, one of the participants walked out in frustration never successfully setting up an email account. Two other participants took a whole hour just to get an email account set up. My goal was to have everyone get an email account set up AND learn email basics such as sending a message, deleting messages, and navigating the inbox and other key folders. That did not happen. Out of six participants, only two of them, managed to succesfully send me an email message, after going 15 minutes overtime to help them do so.
    How was that all your fault? Those bitches that walked out were being selfish twats. Let me guess, I bet they were obese weren't they? It seems like fat chicks always thinks the world revolves around them.

How much of this poor planning on my part is type related?
    Socionics doesn't exist. You're just a smart person that needs to develop more of a physical presence and not to be so nerdy. We love you but come on. Don't live in your head so much.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If you're teaching someone to use Email, I would assume they don't actually know how to use mouse/keyboard.

Because email is about as basic as mouse/keyboard. Any course needs to be targeted towards the audience.

Training adult beginners is actually a minefield of insecurities mixed with a lot of psychological resistance.

I don't think this is type related, because a lot of and is about getting into the head of the audience. This might just be the experience related issue then anything else. Instructional methodology is learned just as a mouse/keyboard and email behavior is learned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it just sounds like the level the students were at was lower than you expected -- no way to know that in advance. The first time anyone runs a class like that, there are going to be some things that don't go as planned, and bugs to work out for next time. Now you know to have pencils, maybe do a quick intro (even just a "Hi everyone. This is what we're going to do today," and give more instruction on basics you thought the students already knew.

I think INTjs can be very patient when teaching people, so once you get that stuff together for next time, you should be good to go.

What helps me w/ events like this is imagining how everything will go, and thinking of what things could be problems...like "is there any way the meeting room could be locked, and if so, could I get an extra key, or perhaps hold the event next door..." etc. I guess that's Ne...but I do a rundown of everything not completely in my own control that has a possibility to fail, and then I think of a few options if that were to happen.

My INTj friend does similiar things, but she sometimes forgets the things that CAN fail, because she expects that they WON'T fail. So, she'll rely too heavily on the time a train is "suppose" to arrive, forgetting the train could be late, etc.

The last part of this is really just me listing some observations...but the point is it sounds like you did well! And each time just learn from the things that happen that you don't expect and it will get even better each time.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post

How was that all your fault? Those bitches that walked out were being selfish twats. Let me guess, I bet they were obese weren't they? It seems like fat chicks always thinks the world revolves around them.
    What the heck does obesity have to do with whether or not you think the world revolves around you? How dare you make such generalizations?