Thread: Why do you type people?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why do you type people?

It occurred to me that a lot of "type me" threads mention that the people being typed typed people.

Here's a paraphrase: "Hi, I just joined this forum and wonder what my type is. Let me tell you about myself. Every day, I meet someone and want to know what his/her type is. I also spend a lot of time researching Socionics. Anyhow, here's my picture. Oh, did I mention that I type people a lot? Please let me know what you think my type is."

I'm exaggerating of course. But there does seem to be a trend.

Of course the vast majority on the forum type people. So any quick type deduction ("He's typing something...must be Ti," etc.) is quite tenuous.

But here's a question to ponder (my apologies if this has already been asked): Why do you type people? Whether or not the response says much about ones type, it may indicate something about ones personality. I'm not saying that people will only have one reason, or that their reasons will necessarily be consistent. I just thought this is an interesting way for people to reflect on a rather ubiquitous behavior in this community.

Here are a couple of different hypothetical responses:

"It gives me something to do when I have to be around them."
    "It gives me a way to understand them; otherwise I'd be lost."
    "I'm just so fascinated by people; I want to know as much as I can about them."
    "It helps me understand people so I don't judge them negatively."
    "

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi, people keep thanking me for my posts even when they don't know what I'm saying and when they're laden with you know what. Type me.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

idk, i'm just interested in socionics and it's part of my worldview now. when i notice possible types for someone it's often automatic, and similar to noticing other aspects of their personality and character traits. (e.g. this person seems friendly, a bit neurotic, and Ej temperament)

i guess i'll consciously spend more time pondering types for people who especially catch my attention, for whatever reason - such as a potential friend, guys i find attractive, etc.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even before discovering typology I've always been observational of peoples behaviorism and personalities so it wasn't really a big leap when I found out that there's a natural pattern, so to speak, involved. For instance, I've always felt uneasy or all out intimidated around types, I just didn't know they were "Se" types prior.
    It was really just putting a label on what I already seen. The only major discovery from Socionics I picked-up on is intertype compatibility, whereas now I get that people act in ways that are foreign to me in order to receive a subconscious requirement.
    For instance; Ep types have always come off as being sporadic, temperamental and less cautious than I could relate to, but from understanding Socionics, I've identified that as and neediness

So to answer your question, I type people to understand them better, but I don't "type" people without sufficient evidence either; when I meet someone for the first time, it isn't "this person is this type", anything to do with Socionics comes out very gradually
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's mainly intellectual wankery.
    언제나.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I'm just curious as to whether or not there are any distinct trends between certain types and myself.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

because they won't all type themselves
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

to give words to some things that were a lot more complicated to describe before socionics. which is really only useful when i'm talking to people here.

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What uwace said.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make almost no effort to really type people these days, and if I do, it's usually this nonchalant after the fact hypothesis when I've known them for a good while (say a month or more). In some ways I'm grateful that I suck at typing since I think it allows me to get to know people without preconceptions until some observation sneaks up on me pretty late in the game. Totally in the vein of self disclosure though, I'm kinda prone to wondering about the types of women I meet a lot more quickly, but, like I've said I don't put much faith in hardly any typings I set down. If anything I tend to tritype people. This guy is an SLE/ILE/ESE or that one's an IEE/ESE/ILE or SEE/ESE/SLE, etc etc. My conclusions, if you can call them that, are pretty fluid and amorphous. However, they're for the most part irrelevant since regardless of type I can tell pretty easily who I find interesting and fun to hang around with.

OH, I guess I do like to try to VI people when I'm drunk at a bar though. That's kind of hilarious.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To contradict Poli.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what marie said
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really type people in an active way. The type shows itself. After spending some time with a person I usually know their type. It's something that emerges by itself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What nowisthetime said. I don't actively type people anymore, really.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It gives me something to do when I have to be around them."
    Hahaha pretty much
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually because someone asks me to.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't intentionally type people, but I'll sometimes notice something about them that will indicate what type they might be. Sometimes it's just obvious what type someone is and I can't help but notice.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mainly just like recognizing other Deltas especially in the midst of a group, or when I'm with Betas I already know what to expect and know not to take them too personally. Though I tend to leave myself open to any type just to see what happens and because I'm not super-regulated about it. But I notice quadras or values grouping together a lot more than I used to, as well as the very simple conflicts of quadra differences that I wouldn't have been able to notice before, and I notice them finally going off and staying with their quadra by this natural magnetism. I can remind myself to be more Fi and Te around Gammas and lay off on the Ne and Si, or be more Ne and Si around Alphas and lay off on the Fi and Te; even though it's tough after a while, it can be rewarding. Socionics also allows me to understand a clearer difference between itself and a relationship based on other factors such as interests or upbringing similarities.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    To explore modern superstition.
    And to produce endless typing lists. Makes sense.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

To help them find their type. I may also try to direct them to some articles or other material so that they can get better informed, because ultimately they will have to decide on their type for themselves irrespective of what anyone else thinks.

In real interaction sometimes types will just randomly occur to me, but generally I don't give it much conscious thought since this interferes with me thinking about other stuff that I find to be more relevant and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    "It gives me a way to understand them; otherwise I'd be lost." ...
    I really don't find socionics to be of much use here. Many of the more fascinating and intriguing personality characteristics that one can run into with others aren't due to socionics information elements in the first place.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To use their weaknesses to my advantage and exploit helpless psyches... >:S AKA win friends and influence people.