Hybrid View

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    hm no.. but i would love to hear it.

how about this:

deciding between two jobs. You have two things you want from the job: more money and a desirable location.

Job one has more money and a guaranteed bonus or higher paying rank if you stay there a year or other set time schedule, but it has a so so location; job two has a great location but slightly less money, with a chance of promotion (higher pay), but this is not certain and you simply don't have the facts to make an educated guess by the time you have to make a decision. You value location and money equally.
    What the difference between A's higher paying rank and B's possible promotion, money-wise. How long do you really think you'll be with either job at this point in your life, and how does that effect the possible pay schemes?
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were you, I would know that my gut would be leaning to one over the other, even if I did consciously know it. Flip a coin on it - that may bring insight onto which one you really want, assuming you also go by your gut, and/or are comfortable doing it.

Also, the way you phrase the dilemma makes me think you value location more than pay. Why do I think this? Money is described in objective terms, while location is described in more emotional terms.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    If I were you, I would know that my gut would be leaning to one over the other, even if I did consciously know it. Flip a coin on it - that may bring insight onto which one you really want, assuming you also go by your gut, and/or are comfortable doing it.

Also, the way you phrase the dilemma makes me think you value location more than pay. Why do I think this? Money is described in objective terms, while location is described in more emotional terms.

i do value location more than pay.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    What the difference between A's higher paying rank and B's possible promotion, money-wise. How long do you really think you'll be with either job at this point in your life, and how does that effect the possible pay schemes?
    hm this is not a real situation i just made it up. something that is complex and for which there are competing desires, and where information is not available. What would one do in order to decide how to proceed?

I think your questions look for facts.. that aren't there in my example. In that case would you weigh which was more certain or risk the option that could, regardless of likelihood, pay off more?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    hm this is not a real situation i just made it up.
    Oh, haha, never mind then!

But I think what I said is still applicable with respect to using your gut..
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Umm, based on love? =p

I usually make things harder for myself since that's how I get the kind of intense feelings that I crave. I never ever made a difficult life choice by weighing in the pros and cons. Instead I put myself in situations where only 'love can save the day' (Don't call me a carebear though, as situations where only love can win out are actually very rare and very brutal)

I am so bad at making choices though I frequently have to have advice from somebody else. I believe strongly though in placing oneself in difficult circumstances because that's how you find your duals.