Thread: ENTps, INTjs and numbers

Creepy-

Default ENTps, INTjs and numbers

I know two Alpha NTs who are pretty OCD about certain things, in a way that I could see being related to Ti. The one I know better is an ILE, and he has all these rules for things, numbers being the one that I'm thinking of atm in [possible] relation to socionics...

For him, certain numbers are bad/absolutely unacceptable while others are good/permissable, and for very specific reasons - he has a system all worked out. Do other Alpha NTs, maybe specifically ILEs, identify w this at all? Is it Ti gone crazy?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think numbers is probably Beta. I don't know how Alpha NTs feel about him though.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    I think numbers is probably Beta.
    lol

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think numbers is probably Beta. I don't know how Alpha NTs feel about him though.
    I think numbers is absolutely acceptable.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoapOfSapphire View Post
    I know two Alpha NTs who are pretty OCD about certain things, in a way that I could see being related to Ti. The one I know better is an ILE, and he has all these rules for things, numbers being the one that I'm thinking of atm in [possible] relation to socionics...

For him, certain numbers are bad/absolutely unacceptable while others are good/permissable, and for very specific reasons - he has a system all worked out. Do other Alpha NTs, maybe specifically ILEs, identify w this at all? Is it Ti gone crazy?
    Not sure what you're saying here specifically. I'm getting an image of a superstitious person walking around mumbling "4 cats...good, 9 flowerpots...RUN AWAY!"

Could you give a couple examples?
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure if it is entirely type related. I know a few ILIs and LIEs who were pretty OCD about numbers.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of my sister. I tend to avoid using prime numbers (and favor heavily composite numbers) because they wreak havoc with division (even if I know for a fact that I'm not going to divide them by anything), but other than that, I don't do this.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some numbers I like better than others. I prefer odd/prime numbers. It's 10:29 right now, and I like that better than if it were 10:28, but I'm not "OCD" about it. I'm just aware of the fact.

Now I'm not really sure about this, but when I decide I need to do something, the time that I see on the clock may determine how likely I am to do it. If it was 10:32, I might not do it, but maybe I would if it was 10:37. I dunno.
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

255 is my favourite number. It's like when you hear your name, it just jumps out at you.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I like the number 1

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't see any particular numbers as unacceptable to and be avoided but I do see numbers as having different personalities and a different 'vibe' about them. For example, 4 feels very practical, 3 feels feminine, 8 feels masculine, 7 is cheerful and upbeat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Reminds me of my sister. I tend to avoid using prime numbers (and favor heavily composite numbers) because they wreak havoc with division (even if I know for a fact that I'm not going to divide them by anything), but other than that, I don't do this.
    Same here. I like highly composite numbers better than prime numbers. 7 is an exception. I like 7.

Numbers is cool. I think EIE is correct.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to avoid using prime numbers
    Me too. They're ugly. They have an amazing flair for every ambiguous, gloomy, dirty, and dangerous possibility in the background of reality. In the presence of prime numbers the real and conscious intention of the object has no significance; it will peer behind every possible archaic antecedent of such an intention. It possesses, therefore, something dangerous, something actually undermining, which often stands in most vivid contrast to the gentle benevolence of non-prime numbers.

I like quotients, especially when rounded on two decimals. Numbers standalone are kinda lame.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ai liek graffs
    The end is nigh

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here specifically. I'm getting an image of a superstitious person walking around mumbling "4 cats...good, 9 flowerpots...RUN AWAY!"

Could you give a couple examples?
    Sure.

Well one example w the ILE is w the volume settings on TVs - certain numbers are no good, regardless of whether the volume itself is at a desirable level.

Also, digital clocks - he doesn't like certain numbers [again, there are very specific rules for why, but he seemed a bit shy or hesitant to explain them so I didn't really ask too much about it]. As a consequence of this, the clock in his car is off by several hours, bc when he sees it display certain numbers he pushes the little button to change the time. I was in his car the other day and had a brief moment of worry bc I forgot about that quirk for a second and the clock was something like four hours fast, hahah.

The thing that made me think of Ti is, when he did briefly explain a couple of his "rules" it was clear that he had a very rigid structure he had built in his head that he can build onto or change, though it isn't clear to me when that is "allowed."

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    I don't see any particular numbers as unacceptable to and be avoided but I do see numbers as having different personalities and a different 'vibe' about them. For example, 4 feels very practical, 3 feels feminine, 8 feels masculine, 7 is cheerful and upbeat, etc.
    Synaesthesia!

I have the kind where I associate colours with numbers. 1 is yellow, 2 is gold, 3 is red, 4 is green, 5 is blue, etc. A blue 4, for example, just doesn't make any sense. 4 is green.

And for the record, I've always liked and respected Prime Numbers. They're the tough guys of the number world, resisting the manipulations we humans try on them. 7 is like: "Ha! Just try and divide me evenly, you pansies! Can't do it, can you? That's because I'm Prime!"

Also, they remind me of Optimus Prime.
    Quaero Veritas.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    And for the record, I've always liked and respected Prime Numbers. They're the tough guys of the number world, resisting the manipulations we humans try on them. 7 is like: "Ha! Just try and divide me evenly, you pansies! Can't do it, can you? That's because I'm Prime!"
    I've always wanted to play with a friend the Prime or Non-Prime game that Rodney McKay and Zalenka play with Aiden Ford.

Also, they remind me of Optimus Prime.
    Numbers are the right of all sentient beings.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Proof that all odd numbers are prime: Prime and odd numbers

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synaesthesia!

I have the kind where I associate colours with numbers. 1 is yellow, 2 is gold, 3 is red, 4 is green, 5 is blue, etc. A blue 4, for example, just doesn't make any sense. 4 is green.
    A while back I looked this up, thinking that all humans would have synesthesia, and the source I found said that it had to be experienced as though it were something external - simply associating it in your head doesn't count.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A while back I looked this up, thinking that all humans would have synesthesia, and the source I found said that it had to be experienced as though it were something external - simply associating it in your head doesn't count.
    Hmm, I don't know -- wouldn't both be examples of the same phenomenon, just "strong" and "weak" varieties?
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I don't know -- wouldn't both be examples of the same phenomenon, just "strong" and "weak" varieties?
    Perhaps, except that all humans would have some weak variety of synesthesia - association is something basic to how neurons work.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Yay fluid mechanics Serious Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...when I set the volume for something (or any numerically-scaled adjustment, really) I like the number to be divisible by 5. It bothers me a little if it isn't.

I like even numbers more since they're easier to deal with. Not something I notice on my own unless its brought up.
    Meh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Name View Post
    Meh...when I set the volume for something (or any numerically-scaled adjustment, really) I like the number to be divisible by 5. It bothers me a little if it isn't.

I like even numbers more since they're easier to deal with. Not something I notice on my own unless its brought up.
    I do this too. I won't exactly pull my hair out if it is not divisible by 5, but it will bug me.

On the even number thing, it's more that I like the symmetry with them. I sometimes take an extra step if I notice that I have walked an odd number off steps. Again, not OCD territory, but if I know that I can change whatever action I have done from an odd number of steps to an even one, then I probably will.
    LII?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post
    I have some numbers I like better than others. I prefer odd/prime numbers. It's 10:29 right now, and I like that better than if it were 10:28, but I'm not "OCD" about it. I'm just aware of the fact.

Now I'm not really sure about this, but when I decide I need to do something, the time that I see on the clock may determine how likely I am to do it. If it was 10:32, I might not do it, but maybe I would if it was 10:37. I dunno.
    Fascinating. I do slightly favor odd numbers over even. They seem less stodgy somehow.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckland View Post
    I do this too. I won't exactly pull my hair out if it is not divisible by 5, but it will bug me.

On the even number thing, it's more that I like the symmetry with them. I sometimes take an extra step if I notice that I have walked an odd number off steps. Again, not OCD territory, but if I know that I can change whatever action I have done from an odd number of steps to an even one, then I probably will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Fascinating. I do slightly favor odd numbers over even. They seem less stodgy somehow.
    It's type related! :wink:

Rational types prefer even numbers; irrational types prefer odd numbers.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterexample:

Quote Originally Posted by fear of sleep View Post

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-bg

even numbers feel dull. odds feel sharp. primes feel, well... primal and also kind of majestic and powerful.

even numbers...

odd numbers (maybe these could be a bit more pointy)...

prime numbers...
    Last edited by bg; 09-27-2009 at 03:20 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    even numbers feel dull. odds feel sharp. primes feel, well... primal.

Actually pretty accurate. But I'd also say that even numbers feel soft... especially when heavily composite.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-bg

Actually pretty accurate. But I'd also say that even numbers feel soft... especially when heavily composite.
    see edit above

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see edit above
    I like the even-number and odd-number pictures. The prime-number one looks to me like something on its last legs... tbh I don't think that you can capture in nature the sense that prime numbers are the root of everything. Perhaps with something from the Hubble Telescope? Prime numbers are amazing when they come at my command, but when they come unasked, they can be scary... because there's nothing more fundamental to fight them with. It's like going along chopping up bread with a knife, and then you come across a knife that you need to cut in two...

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Creepy-bg

I like the even-number and odd-number pictures. The prime-number one looks to me like something on its last legs... tbh I don't think that you can capture in nature the sense that prime numbers are the root of everything. Perhaps with something from the Hubble Telescope? Prime numbers are amazing when they come at my command, but when they come unasked, they can be scary... because there's nothing more fundamental to fight them with. It's like going along chopping up bread with a knife, and then you come across a knife that you need to cut in two...
    well 2 out 3 isn't bad

idk... I keep getting the same sort of Monument Valley rocks image in my head for primes. They don't have the strata layers though in my minds eye... they're more like crazy shaped tall boulder formations. (like out of the Roadrunner cartoons?) clumpy yet each stands alone. hard to put into words.

hmmm I wonder if I'd be able to recognize primes I don't have memorized by the image I get seeing the number. have to test that sometime.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Masculine and feminine numbers

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-librarian View Post
    interesting... the perceptions are flipped for me. Odds feel feminine and evens feel masculine (probably says all sorts of horrible things about my psychology ). actually it carries over to the sexes as well. to me male feels soft, lumpy, ordinary. female feels sharp, pointy, austure.
    Last edited by bg; 09-27-2009 at 04:00 AM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting... the perceptions are flipped for me. Odds feel feminine and evens feel masculine (probably says all sorts of horrible things about my psychology ). actually it carries over to the sexes as well. to me male feels soft, lumpy, ordinary. female feels sharp, pointy, austure.
    This seems to relate to you and your female dual...

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have some slight OCD tendencies (lessened through the years). I've heard they tend to occur under NT's sometimes, as they have a certain need to categorize and analyze things and what not.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to see Ne and Ti as more of something concerned with 3-dimensional things that can be touched and manipulated than with flat symbols such as numbers.