Thread: Political Picture Thread

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Fuck Obama. He's taken away so many American rights that most people aren't even aware of.

Do you know the government can legally arrest and imprison people now without a trial or due process? Yeah that was hidden in the healthcare bill, or some of the other bogus bills they try to rush through the system, unread.

I would be happier for Mickey Mouse to be president than Obama.
    I think Guantanamo started before Obama, before it was legal, before all of that. I mean the US has had no problems incarcerating people without a trial or due process many times in the past. AKA Japanese internment camps, various communist purges, indians, etc. It just happens that in the past it generally only applied to undesirables, minorities and people without rights.

It seems to me now the boot of the system is in the hands of a black man(which isn't even true, but he represents the system for the next few years), that all of a sudden white people feel endangered by the system. ^_^

Anyways, the house has blocked the elimination of Guantanamo every single time, generally on a partisan Republican basis, essentially as long as the rules only apply to certain groups, people seem to turn a blind eye to abuse. If you happen to think you'll find civil rights salvation with the Republicans(basically the only other group out there that can win), I seriously doubt it.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Perhaps there is some pent-up racism and fear that he is black. But I think, to consider that the sole reason, would be by and large misleading. People care about their rights and don't want them taken away, regardless of the irrelevant color of the skin of the person taking them away.
    I'm not happy with my rights taken away either but a lot people didn't seem to care much about it in the past. In the politicized climate, I'm quite skeptical of many individuals. I was against the Patriot act when it was enacted and still against it, but I don't think a majority of Americans are against it.

But I am glad you pointed those situations out. It's somehow relaxing to know that despite how screwed-up our country was in the past, it bounced back. It gives me hope that we can bounce back from the mess we're in now. I know you've mentioned you're pro-US real estate before, hkkmr. From this post I take it you're still bullish on the US economy long-term. Is this correct? Or just on real estate, and still bullish on China?
    I see America as having the most fertile land and resource rich country in the world, this is indeed a land of plenty. I'm always in the long term bullish on US and China as these two places are the most fertile and resource rich places in the world. However my idea of long term is beyond my lifetime and multi-generational, in my lifetime, I think that America will be economically strong but stagnate politically. I do feel optimistic that the problems in the US will be solved without the kind of brutality(althrough it will still be bad for many people) that has characterized the past.