I've noticed that when people are trying to type someone, that if its narrowed down to a couple of types that oftentimes the two remaining types make a quasi-identical pair. Like LII vs. ILI; EIE vs. IEE, etc.

But why would this be the case when the two types have opposite quadra values? Take LII and ILI. LII is alpha and values Si, Ne, Fe, and Ti. ILI is gamma and values Se, Ni, Fi, and Te. Shouldn't that alone make it easy to tell them apart?

My theory is, initially, that one can mistake a strong function for an ego function. Both LII, and ILI for example have strong Ti, Ni, Te, and Ne. Their positions differ though. If you're looking at dimensionality of functions, LII and ILI share exactly the same relative strengths and weaknesses. Both types have 4D Ti and Ni, 3D Te and Ne, 2D Fi and Si, and 1D Se and Fe.

Any quasi identical pair will share the same dimensionality of functions. And I also think this is why one can easily mistake a conflictor for a dual on the surface. Take ESE and SEE. Both have 4D Fe and Se, 3D Fi and Si, 2D Ne and Te, and 1D Ti and Ni. Yet ESE is the dual for LII and the conflictor for ILI. SEE is the dual for ILI and the conflictor for LII.

Quadra values are obviously key to a good relation but sometimes this isn't as apparent when first meeting someone as one's relative strengths and weaknesses. Has this been your experience? Thoughts?