Threaded View

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Caan View Post
    Because when you rent things like shelter or sell food that people need, you price it relative to what people can pay (supply and demand) to extort as much money from them. They have no choice after all; they need those things. And when you are rich and there are very few of you, but many poor people that can't pay too much, you're paying the supply and demand for the poor price. If everyone had more money, the price would just go up. Price is a relative things.
    In a competitive market economy there's also pressure from the companies they're competing with to charge lower prices, and ultimately to charge only what it costs to provide the product/service.

The real problem is monopoly/oligopoly, lobbying, and other non-competitive practices. Barriers to entry are also a problem but not one that can be so easily fixed, depending on the industry.

Maybe a better example is getting a speeding ticket. Everyone pays the same price. But is that fair? If someone makes more money, shouldn't they be penalized more? Cause if I make a million dollars a year, a $50 speeding tickets means nothing to me, but if I'm making minimum wage, it hurts a lot more.
    Sure, that's a better example. But a speeding ticket is actually meant to hurt, otherwise it's not a good deterrent.

Basically, I'm saying when it comes to shelter and food, the only fair system is to pay a percentage of your income for these things. So if I make a million dollars a year and food and shelter is 25%, then I pay $250,000, while someone who makes minimum wage pays much less. This of course doesn't mean the other $750,000 couldn't be used for nice cars, houses, vacations, or good food and such, but there needs to be a baseline to protect the poor, otherwise the economic system is way too biased between rich and poor. And by giving the rich more inherent buying power over basic needs and extorting as much as possible from the poor, it's designed to get worse over time.
    ok, so how do you plan to implement that? If you charge rich people $1000 for a piece of bread, they're just going to send a poor person to go buy it for them. How do you even decide what a fair percentage of income to pay is? It would also make it extremely confusing for consumers and completely nonsensical for producers, since there's no longer any relation between between how much it takes to produce and the cost. There also remains the huge problem of figuring out people's income, and rich people are pretty good at getting around that too, if taxes are any indication.

The real goal here should be to make sure that it's easier for poor people to provide for their basic needs, not that it's harder for rich people. We already have ways for dealing with that, namely welfare. Basic income could maybe work but it's more speculative. The system you're proposing is just as complicated as taxes/welfare yet contradicts basic principles of economics.
    Last edited by Exodus; 12-10-2018 at 08:19 AM.