Hybrid View

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venus Rose View Post
    well yeah, i adjusted my general taste somewhat to what "might look good on me" (in my initial post). And yeah I posted that pic so others could maybe "pitch in."
    I’ve actually read before that the colors you are drawn to are relevant, but I can’t remember where I read it. Evidently this site states it’s a ‘myth’.

Myth #13 - If I am naturally drawn to a color or colors, this means it is a color I can wear.
    This is a very pervasive belief. It states that if you are drawn to a particular color or colors, this inherently means you can wear those color(s) successfully.
    This idea can be attributed to Swiss artist Johannes Itten who believed that people will be attracted to colors that are already present in their coloring. For example, light blonde blue eyed Springs will gravitate toward those light bright colors. Winters with the deep cool coloring will naturally be attractive to those types of colors. Apparently he developed this idea when he let his art students choose the colors they liked best for their next art assignment. He noted the preferences differed based on their coloring.
    From this, some color analysts developed their beliefs and it became prevalent in many color systems. Once again, I disagree with this idea, for many of the same reasons I mentioned previously. For example, this does not fit with me and my preferences at all. I love cool pastels. I’m a Warm Autumn. I can’t wear cool pastels without them looking artificial and boring. They certainly do not harmonize or enhance my coloring. Believe me I tried to make them work.
    So, am I the lone exception to this rule? I don’t think so, because I hear this from so many others who love certain colors but they are simply not colors that flatter them.
    There is just no logic to this idea. Are we drawn to our favorite colors? Absolutely. Does this mean those colors will harmonize with our coloring? They may or may not, but it has nothing to do with any inherent connection to our coloring and our preferences.
    https://www.prettyyourworld.com/supp...llustrated.pdf
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EII 4w5 Sx/So
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I’ve actually read before that the colors you are drawn to are relevant, but I can’t remember where I read it. Evidently this site states it’s a ‘myth’.

https://www.prettyyourworld.com/supp...llustrated.pdf
    I'm personally not going to wear something that goes against how I would express myself, no matter how good the color may just look on my body. I don't wear colors that I am actually drawn to, because they would be too rich, dark. I aim for the cross-section between what I am drawn to, and what looks good on me.

TIM
    whatever you think
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venus Rose View Post
    I'm personally not going to wear something that goes against how I would express myself, no matter how good the color may just look on my body. I don't wear colors that I am actually drawn to, because they would be too rich, dark. I aim for the cross-section between what I am drawn to, and what looks good on me.
    Ah, ok. Well whatever you want to do. I am also opposed to that. Yes, I think the trick is to find the ones that look good on you that still allow you to express yourself in the way you want. I just saw that someone said it wasn’t relevant and I remember reading it was. In a way I was trying to defend you, as I stated I read that in another thread, hoped it wasn’t where you read it that set you up for that, and was feeling like I could have been somewhat responsible. For me, it holds true. The colors I’m drawn to are ones I tend to get complimented on the most. I’m sure that it’s not true for everyone, but perhaps it could have some truth. Or it’s just plain coincidence.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EII 4w5 Sx/So
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Ah, ok. Well whatever you want to do. I am also opposed to that. Yes, I think the trick is to find the ones that look good on you that still allow you to express yourself in the way you want. I just saw that someone said it wasn’t relevant and I remember reading it was. In a way I was trying to defend you, as I stated I read that in another thread, hoped it wasn’t where you read it that set you up for that, and was feeling like I could have been somewhat responsible.
    Ah, yes, I thought you might be

No, I haven't read that thread, I was just coming up with my own ideas about what colors might look good on me, given the ones I am actually drawn to.