When in public settings, I-types often unwittingly mask their true nature because they frequently need to reorient. To engage people or the environment, externally referenced processes have to be brought to the fore. Ij-types put their input processes online while Ip-types have their output take the lead. This creates behaviours that one may associate more with their mirror-types; Ij-types can at times appear very exploratory and inquisitive while Ip-types can seem to take charge and be very goal oriented.

I-types cannot hold priority reversals for very long before having to revert back, so their internally-referenced natures can never be fully cloaked. However, an illusion is created for an observer: Ip-types can appear output oriented and Ij-types input oriented. This seeming behaviour reversal impacts group dynamics and its affects on inter-type relations cannot be minimized, at least in the short-term. People usually will only respond to that which is observable.

I-type descriptions should have “when-engaged” and “when-isolated” aspects. Socionics descriptions seem to better address the isolated mode while MBTI seems to lean more toward engagement characteristics. However, a comprehensive I-type description has to incorporate this switch to external referencing and how this process may be perceived by an observer.