Thread: coping with stress

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default coping with stress

If you consider the Wikisocion descriptions of rationality and irrationality I think we could almost cut them down to one single question:

How do you cope with stress?

Rationals
    (Also called shizotymes in early socionics literature)

1. Tend to plan ahead, make decisions early.
    2. Are more often rigid and stubborn.
    3. Do not like to change their decisions.
    (4. Tend to finish what they started.)
    (5. Usually have stiff movements.)
    6. Usually more 'authoritarian' leadership style.
    7. Low stress tolerance.
    These points above all point out what rationals do in order to prevent stress. Planning ahead and finishing decisions gives certainty that whatever they are about to do will work and the chance of getting stressed is minimal. Changing decisions can produce confusion which may leads to stress at the end. Finally, to be able to make this work as they want, they prefer to have a clear hierarchy in their job or other places. If it does become stressful after all, despite all effort, thsi could be a quite annoying situation for a rational.

Irrationals
    (Also called cyclotymes in early socionics literature)

1. Tend to wait and see, more spontaneous.
    2. Are more often flexible and tolerant.
    3. Change their decisions frequently.
    (4. Tend to start new things without finishing them.)
    (5. Usually have gentle movements.)
    6. Usually more 'democratic' leadership style.
    7. High stress tolerance.
    The irrationals at the other handside is not as much affected by stress as the rational. They don't need to put so much effort in avoiding stress, so they focuses on taking every possibility into account. Decisions don't need to be made early and that's why irrationals can make use of spontaneous changes and are more flexible and adaptable. However, this approach may lead to problems in deciding losing the overview. But if it comes to stress it's not a greater problem for irrationals, since they are somewhat used to it don't perceive it as overly unpleasant.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    These points above all point out what rationals do in order to prevent stress. Planning ahead and finishing decisions gives certainty that whatever they are about to do will work and the chance of getting stressed is minimal. Changing decisions can produce confusion which may leads to stress at the end.
    I relate to this part. However, I always try to change myself whenever I detach and see that I'm behaving as described. I don't like to become inflexible. Theoretically, I would just prefer to drop every obligation I have, rather than moving around frantically. As long as the Earth won't be hit by a meteor, missing a deadline will likely not lead to dramatic consequences.

Finally, to be able to make this work as they want, they prefer to have a clear hierarchy in their job or other places. If it does become stressful after all, despite all effort, thsi could be a quite annoying situation for a rational.
    I don't really relate to this section. I personally strongly dislike clear hierachies. It has something to do with my enneagram type, surely, but I think democratic rationals might not feel like agreeing with your statement above.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't really relate to this section. I personally strongly dislike clear hierachies. It has something to do with my enneagram type, surely, but I think democratic rationals might not feel like agreeing with your statement above.
    I think hierarchies at work are necessary for efficient cooperation, but the superior should never abuse the rights they got. Similarly, the others should never let themselves be oppressed by their superior. Personally, I try to treat everyone equal if I'm in the lead in projects. You can be right, this trait is maybe stronger if you are an aristocratic type and weaker if you are a democratic one.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it really depends on what the activity/thing is, that is stressful. I don't think the supposed more spontaneous go-with-the-flow irrational way of doing things makes irrationals better able to cope with stress, or less easily stressed out about things. I think maybe when left to their own devices, irrationals don't get so stressed out (I sort of feel like some people are intent upon making their lives as stressful as possible and these people are often not irrationals, especially not IPs). I mean part of what Socionics in general addresses is that if you're put in a context where your weak functions are put pressure on you will get very stressed out about it (and being irrational won't help that). I actually find the lack of drive and motivation that comes with my IP-temperament as being a cause of stress since I find it hard keeping up with the external demands of society.

I mean my general way of coping with stress is to avoid stressful things in the first place... but sometimes I can't and when external demands are placed on me I actually just have a difficult time getting myself to do the things that need to be done to deal with them and so things pile up and I feel overwhelmed by them.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think it really depends on what the activity/thing is, that is stressful.
    I think you are right, I generalised too much here. I had a situation in mind where, for example, a rational and a irrational type get the same task and a certain amount of time to accomplish it. So I left out functions and other type related things and focus on the task itself and the different approach.
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Gulenko agrees with you, MegaDoomer. He further subdivides it by Process and Result (which he calls Right and Left). See this article.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the rational/irrational characteristics have anything to do with stress. Rationals act the way they do because they prefer to make decisions and stick with them. It's just how their mind works. It's not a defense mechanism against stress.

However, I do think that rational's stronger rigidity makes them vulnerable to stress. Stressful situations are hard to keep control of, and rationals are more likely to force themselves through the situation.

How types cope with stress is more of an enneagram thing.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krig the Viking View Post
    I think Gulenko agrees with you, MegaDoomer. He further subdivides it by Process and Result (which he calls Right and Left). See this article.
    Idk if this is totally accurate. I relate to what it said about LIEs, but I really think it depends on the source of stress.

In changing and unpredictable situations, that's exactly how I respond. Every time you add on a new stressor I lose heart and get closer to a breaking point at which I'll just shut down.
    But, I don't think IEIs and IEEs would handle the stress of being forced into a situation from which they can't escape as well as Gulenko described. I think rationals are better equipped to handle these situations.

Gulenko seems to be defining stressful conditions as conditions in which a lot is going on and things keep changing. There are other kinds of stressful conditions.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    How types cope with stress is more of an enneagram thing.
    Agreement.