Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child
I agree that being as civil as possible to each other and from my experience, limiting discussion, and following the rules is the best way to avert conflict...and not to lose your head and do something really stupid when in a heated conflict.

I know what it's like living with a conflicter. It sucks ass, even if the two can tolerate each other most of the time, but when in conflict, the other person can magnificently manage to make it seem like your life is pointless and not worth living...the other retaliates by nature. You just have to recognize the good they have done in your life and look to the future and try not to get too screwed up by some of the crap you have to deal with (and same for the other person).

I don't believe you can fix this relationship. In my situation, my mom has tried but I tell her this is the way things are. All you can do is support whichever party and help them to pull along, reminding them that they're not what the other person thinks they are. The two probably won't ever be able to be 'friends' but they can have a more or less civil relationship if both parties are willing to acknowledge the others' differences with respect, not with aggression because that only destroys people, it doesn't make them change to accomodate the other.
Totally agree.