So here me out on this one, I've been reading up a bunch on classical music, specifically that its "dead" or "boring" or "old"....

I went into google and typed "classical music is" and saw the most popular results....

Among them were Dead, Boring, Old, Dying, Good for You, and Something about babies being smart.

The two viewpoint most commonly taken up about this genre of music are...
1) Its dead, boring, old, dying - like something not full of life or enthusiasm
2) Its something you should listen to because its good for you and will make you smart

I once asked someone about what they thought of every type of music, and they said they enjoyed everything but classical music, when I asked them what came to mind with classical music they said "flight of the bumblebee"... it made me laugh cause I pictured people cruising around in their cars jamming out to flight of the bumblebee....

At any rate, why is classical music so loathed? Why is it the soundtrack for old people and embodies lifelesness or is considered something akin to raw vegetables - something that tastes bad but you should eat because its good for you.

How did it get to be that way? Is classical music really dead or are people dead to classical music?

Consider that it practically paints the portrait for every scene in movies. The music for Star Wars for example is a well known cultural icon and is essentially just classical music. Also why did people invent lifeless music, surely there was enthusiasm for the music when it was created first.

For this reason I think its much more likely that people are dead to classical music. And no I don't want to force everyone in the world to listen to classical music now to make sure they appreciate the masterpeices of classical music - honestly I could care less what people listen to, I just find it sad that people become deaf to old forms of music, honestly I find some classical music to be much more profound and beautiful than fucking miley cyrus britney spears commercialized bullshit that is all about bouncing around all happy go lucky and getting fucked because you are so sexy. More on this later, but for now I'd like to elaborate on being "Dead to classical music".

Basically I think that people don't understand what language the music is speaking. Its like people are expecting to be spoken to in ebonics but instead you are getting spoken to in shakesperian english and your confused. Instead of actually attempting to understand what is being conveyed by the language you roll back and resort to simply listen to how the language sounds but not what it says. You think "Oh wow this old english guy sounds like he is from 500 yrs in the past, he all old and proper and stuck up". That what people get when they hear classical music, they get "OH wow people walking around in formal wear and tophats, and a bunch of old proper stuff".

I read that one person said classical music is old and non-creative, its nothing new or fresh -- that didn't make sense to me though because if your listening to a classical song for the first time its obviously new to you.

Anyways the point of this is all isn't that I want to fight the progression of culture or that I want to impose my opinions on people "You should listen to this masterpeice instead of that pop crap you whippersnappers listen to"... its just that I find it disturbing that people can't reach back to a different time era and connect with the actual message of art created by another human being expressing something profound and creative because they are too focused on the surface details and cheap entertainment and thrills. No wait its not even the fact they are immune to art, its the fact that they openly diss it as if it were crap and treat it like old rusty trash; people would rather throw away an old functional tool for one that doesn't work but looks cool.

I am not a huge classical buff - I listen to a wide variety of music, but I really like a certain number of classical songs and soundtrack tunes in addition to more "typical" modern music and I've always been embarassed it will make me look old/lame for listening to it because of this stereotype, I feel classical music gets a label it doesn't deserve, people shouldn't be so critical and just enjoy music, attempt to listen to what its trying to say. Like in certain peices of beethoven I always get this extremely powerful dark feeling of cynical/anger/frustration/dread contrasted with a certain playful like joyful child innocence that goes back and forth, its an entire narrative between the two contrasting feelings that eventually gets resolved by the end of the peice, and it makes me think that was perhaps who we has and what his life was like, the feelings he experienced.... to most people its simply boring uncreative elevator music that embodies livelessness thats only use is to look more sophsticated/pretenious or to attempt to turn your child into a prodigy thus garunteeing that everyone will be sure to hate the music for being the soundtrack for snobbery and parential pressures. My antagonistic side says that people dislike it because it requires reflection/concentration to understand it.

Blah anyways I am rambling here..... if you find this interesting, agree, disagree, or have other thoughts please comment.

Sorry if you feel like this is a huge rambling rant waste of your time, but I just want to get other peoples opinions on this, surely someone can serve up an opinion for better or worse.