Thread: People are selfish

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    So we must make a definition for "selfishness" which appeases our own feelings and connotations. In general, I think the connotation which is added is that the self is, in aim, the sole benefactor. If this is applied to the definition (which it is, usually), then people can be unselfish, and are on a regular basis, as are they selfish.

What I tried to get across in my earlier post, however, is that no matter what someone does, it is entirely for their own gain. But if we apply the particular connotation of "sole benefactor in aim" to the definition, then this still does not change, but the word "selfish" does.
    Exactly lulz
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mutual parasites on a psychological level. That's basically duality for you. There is no reason you should be separating altruism and selfishness into different categories.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You've done something. You wanted to do it. No matter the reasoning, if it gets done, you have gained.
    No, Tom. Are you even listening? Slow down, listen. I didn't want to do it. I didn't not want to do it either, but I didn't WANT to do it. Not everything we do is because we want to. Sometimes people are just that selfless. Are you telling me that everything you did is because you wanted to? Whatever, although we wish we were that free- in society with all these rules and regulations that is not possible.

Either way, nothing as big as 'selfishness' and 'alturism' can exist in a vacuum, and if you try- you'd only create a neurosis in yourself and ultimately go nowhere. Your lack of Ti-valuing is showing, even if I do realize you're not trying to be an ass.

Of course I got something. I get something every day. You get something no matter what you do, even if you try to do nothing and just exist. Dirt still grows under your fingernails.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I misunderstand you; what precisely do you mean by "selfless"?
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson