Thread: Leaving Earth

Hybrid View

Yay fluid mechanics Serious Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    What would you like to do? How do you think you can best serve the mission? What would be the thing that you could do in the service of others that would bring you most joy?
    Well, honestly during the trip I don't see myself being of much use. I like to gain an understanding of new information, being one of the people to say "it works this way", so if anything new comes up during the trip I would want to look into it and explain it. Ideally whatever I research would have practical applications later on, and instead stopping at just figuring new information out I would move on to putting it to real-world use. Maybe after landing the colony would run across a ton of new things, and I'd have a mindgasm thinking of ways to make use of it.

I'd have no problem using what I already know to create a stable living environment, or whatever else needs to be done. Say there isn't enough oxygen present in the atmosphere to support human life (or whatever else we brought with us). I'd be happy to use existing knowledge to solve the issue, it makes sense to use what we already know instead of looking for something new, since you kind of need oxygen NOW to survive. Huge plus if there is some new material is found later that you can either extract oxygen from or use as a mechanism of creating some.

This could probably explain why I picked engineering as a major. I could do math or science, but the whole time I'd be either writing proofs (AAAAAARGH! HATE!) or doing overly abstract research without ever making something at least semi-tangible out of what I learn. I'm good at these things, but making something out of it is sort of a validation of what I know. Its like "See, its not all just numerically sound bullshit. It WORKS!"
    Meh.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, each quadra will design a society that is "complete" and does not require the aid of other quadra's.

Meaning that there are certain tasks to accomplish in such a mission, but the tasks, the way they are performed, and who undertakes them, will be determined based on quadra.

So no matter what you do, if you mix quadras there will be trouble. I think that quadra's are self-sufficient and do not require the others.

So you might say, "Well then certain things would not get done!" and I'd say, "But to that specific quadra those things dont need to happen." A quadra will shape ends and means based on what they understand and value.

A better (imo) and possibly more interesting discussion would be: "How would a colonization task force from each quadra look/act like"

Then you could delve into what would happen if you crossed quadra's.

I'm gonna go on a walk and think about this now, because I'm excited.

Things to ponder:

• Terraforming or no? and why?
    • Degree of hierarchy and political/organizational structure
    • Purpose of mission
    • Type of spacecraft/s (yes that could reflect quadra values)
    • How they funded or brought about this mission
    • What do they do for entertainment?
    • How will they go about naming regions and objects on the planet?
    • What will happen if they encounter another sapient race?
    • How do they colonists feel about such things as bioengineering, transhumanism, androids, virtual reality, cloning, etc?
    The end is nigh

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    A better (imo) and possibly more interesting discussion would be: "How would a colonization task force from each quadra look/act like"
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...s-quadras.html

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    A single quadra group is not the best team possible in design or execution and that's why we have more then 4 types in the world.
    I agree. Also, conflict on small or large scale between types from different quadra... might be very important for the psychological development... kinda like illnesses of childhood.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true. I guess I was thinking of an ideal situation where it would only be types from a single quadra, with no chance of extra-quadra offspring.

Also, Director Abbie, that governent thread is somewhat BS.

Its not about which government you choose, but why you chose it, how you'd bring it about, and how you justify it.

Plus, when global anarchism does take root every quadra will still get along quite fine.
    The end is nigh