Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mos Def [Dante Terrell Smith (Yasiin Bey)]

Robert Christgau:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_a...p?name=Mos+Def

The Ecstatic [Downtown, 2009]
    You know how Will Smith makes the corny hip-hop albums you'd expect of a leading man with a sense of humor? Well, this is the arty hip-hop album you'd expect of a character actor who steals every marginal flick he's in--only unlike Smith's, Mos Def's is good. Half associative rhymes that clock in under two-and-a-half minutes, devoid of hooks but full of sounds you want to hear again, it's like a dream mixtape--one unresolved track morphing into the next to define a world hip-hop with poles in Brooklyn and Beirut. Almost every thoughtfully slurred word is comprehensible, including most of the ones he sings in Spanish, and the vision justifies the Malcolm X intro. In "The Embassy," Mos Def describes a luxury hotel as an outsider, too aware to come on like one of those thug fools who think they own a joint that'll blacklist them five years from now. And in the Bed-Stuy lookback "Life in Marvelous Times" he offers a credo: "More of less than ever before/It's just too much more for your mind to absorb/It's scary like hell, but there's no doubt/We can't be alive in no time but now." A

Black on Both Sides [Rawkus, 1999]

"Building it now for the promise of the infinite," Black Star's star overreaches; delete the right

tracks, which is always the catch, and his solo CD would pack more power at 55 minutes than it

does at 71. I hope someday he learns that what made Chuck Berry better than Elvis Presley

wasn't soul, even if that rhymes with rock and roll the way Rolling Stones rhymes with (guess

who he prefers) Nina Simone. But the wealth of good-hearted reflection and well-

calibrated production overwhelms one's petty objections. "New World Water" isn't just the

political song of the year, it's catchy like a motherfucker. "Brooklyn" and "Habitat" are no less

geohistorical because they act locally. A-

The New Danger [Geffen, 2004]
    Musically, Mos Def has always been a little dull--so caught up in his own smarts he let verbal flow carry his albums. Here the defining flow is sonic--a shadowy, guitar-drenched tone poem of the streets. Songs transmute into raps as the album shifts from Black Jack Johnson blues-metal toward smoother beats that quote Hair and twice reference What's Going On in mix and mood as well as content before building to a soulish horn band, some catchy rock nonsense overdubbed entirely by Mos Def, a heart ballad he very nearly sings, and a party-ready requiem cum call to action. "My work is personal, I'm a workin' person/I put in work, I work with purpose," he reminds anyone who would reduce "hard work" to a right-wing slogan. But an equally telling lyric on an album whose secret hero is Bad Brains' Dr. Know is a silly one: "Black Jack Johnson NYC/R-O-C-K-I-N-G." A-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGUYnFAvdY

- Mos Def: “There needs to be a generation in this lifetime, in this time that we’re living in (at

least half of a generation), that lives without war for the sake of the children and for the sake of

the environment that we all so covet now. War is an environmental issue. Digging uranium and

steel out of the ground to create bombs and guns to kill other people is a negative environmental

issue.”

http://www.psychohistory.com/origins...hildAbuse.html

http://www.psychohistory.com/htm/eln03_terrorism.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA5DKtiNcgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnAQwNrHR1I

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i remember seeing him in an interview ages ago and being curious about his type because he jumped out at me as a really interesting person.
    but i haven't gone out of my way to seek it out and i have no idea.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Focused. I'm a hustler. And my hustle is trying to figure out the best ways to do what I like without having to do much else.

I'm not shy about heated debate or passionate discourse, but when people get crazy or rude, that's a buzz kill. There's got to be a better code of conduct, some basic etiquette.

I'm a passionate person. I'm a lot of things, like most people are. Most people are dynamic. The focus is not on me though, I'm a screen. The aim is to always keep myself in the position where the screen is clear.

What I take from writers I like is their economy - the ability to use language to very effective ends. The ability to have somebody read something and see it, or for somebody to paint an entire landscape of visual imagery with just sheets of words - that's magical.

I just don't think it's very dignified to ask people to like you. You can just wind up being somebody's ottoman.

I can't control what people think. I'm not trying to manipulate people's thoughts or sentiments. I write all the time. You have to experience life, make observations, and ask questions. It's machine-like how things are run now in hip-hop, and my ambitions are different.

Everything's got space between it, the planets, trees, your eyes. Your eyes get too close together, it's a whole different world. You can lose perspective.

Fear not of men because men must die. Mind over matter and soul before flesh.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merry
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISFx

**edit..oh yeah, nvm, I just watched the last youtube vid of him and bill..and...i've no idea.

definitely S>N

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Huxley (IEE)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I’ve been thinking EII-Ne (Dominant subtype) [or Creative? subtype]. Yet to be honest, IEE seems more likely. Anyway, probably Delta NF (EII-Ne [Dominant subtype] or IEE-Fi [Harmonizing subtype]).

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2015-0...dre-3k-mos-def

‘Mixed in with Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, and Otis Redding are Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu and D’Angelo, but the most jaw dropping has to be Mos Def’s “Umi Says.” President Barack Obama is a Mos Def fan? OBAMA IS A MOS DEF FAN!!! It makes perfect sense, but still, it’s amazing to see.’

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to think IEI, or maybe EIE. He seems like a reflective, intellectual, spiritual kind of person.

Last edited by Exodus; 12-13-2017 at 04:04 PM.