Thread: Sophisticated use of functions

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sophisticated use of functions

Do you think that at a sophisticated level of use of IEs people should be able to use it to it's opposite effect, almost to control the use of it so well as to withhold using it when inappropriate?

I was thinking of Se for example and how I think a really good level of use of Se the person will know when and how to surrender, let go of power and submit. I have seen this in practice and it is cool to observe.

I was thinking about how Ne would be to not need to wander in the mind to grab any idea to be present and not attach to ideas.

For Fi it could be about acceptance of different and suspending judgement completely.

what do you think?

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think knowing when to restrain a function or to use it is more a sign of the creative function, the base tends not to conisder restraining itself.

It's not so much about being "sophisticated" , dare I say your delta values are showing here, Guillaine. It's more about knowing when to stop using the creative so as to not hinder the program of the base.

creatives are can restrain themselves from acting, or hold back - and this is important - if it furthers their program of order/ethcis - but not for the sake of "submitting". But base are not likely to restrain themselves and are more impuslive.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

People can hone their cognitive abilities throughout their lifetimes but once the brain has fully matured, it's processing preferences are (the firmware is) likely set in concrete and it would require physical brain damage to alter them. The brain may be plastic but the ego needs stability.....

a.k.a. I/O

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This goes outside the scope of socionics. There are people who use base function almost all the time but they are neurotic. They "become their type" and the bigger personality is invisible. Its frustrating to be with such a person. Healthy people use it for different tasks but not all the time. The individual is more than his type.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avebury View Post
    I think knowing when to restrain a function or to use it is more a sign of the creative function, the base tends not to conisder restraining itself.

It's not so much about being "sophisticated" , dare I say your delta values are showing here, Guillaine. It's more about knowing when to stop using the creative so as to not hinder the program of the base.

creatives are can restrain themselves from acting, or hold back - and this is important - if it furthers their program of order/ethcis - but not for the sake of "submitting". But base are not likely to restrain themselves and are more impuslive.
    I was referring to an SE base- estp. albeit H. Not only restrain but choose the perfect moment and way to withdraw, and graciously

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaine View Post
    Do you think that at a sophisticated level of use of IEs people should be able to use it to it's opposite effect, almost to control the use of it so well as to withhold using it when inappropriate?

I was thinking of Se for example and how I think a really good level of use of Se the person will know when and how to surrender, let go of power and submit. I have seen this in practice and it is cool to observe.

I was thinking about how Ne would be to not need to wander in the mind to grab any idea to be present and not attach to ideas.

For Fi it could be about acceptance of different and suspending judgement completely.

what do you think?
    It depends on what kind of opposite you're talking about. Se ego types do tend to know better about picking your battles and when it is better not to fight. The creative function does tend to be more flexible, and this case may have an element of Ni as well.

I'm not sure I agree with your other examples. Fi includes the opposites of "moving towards" / "moving away". Ti includes the opposites of complexity/simplicity. Etc.
    Last edited by Exodus; 10-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guillaine View Post
    I was thinking of Se for example and how I think a really good level of use of Se the person will know when and how to surrender, let go of power and submit.
    The understanding of how and where it's better to use a function is not its opposite, but being an expert in it.
    For example, Se types evaluate good own _and other's_ potentials related to Se and hence "will know when and how to surrender (in Se related situations)" better than other types. People are crazy and not effective in weak, but not strong regions.