Thread: Dimensions of temporal understanding - which IE?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dimensions of temporal understanding - which IE?

After reflections by both myself and forum members on here considering my own thoughts and my posts respectively, i've been seriously considering some sort of Ni dominant. But i see conflicting speculations on what Ni really is, besides it being of a temporally-aware nature. And i feel like people have different interpretations of this time-awareness.

I've always been very interested in the historicity of everything, and have sought out the roots of something to determine it's influences on me and the things i think about it. This has led me to search out the oldest, or earliest exapmple of all my interests, i've been interested in ancient civilizations, ancient modes of thought specifically. I find the roots of something more useful than the isolated outcome i'm presently investigating, that is to say, the presence of something has no value without the historicity or roots of the thing. This also applies to the origins of life, or my own thoughts. I think about how i've thought to determine how i really think today, i search for trends in my thinking. I've always been overwhelmingly mental and closed off in my head, so much that my parents had trouble communicating with me when it didn't concern my current, focused interest. I have a melancholicity concering the past, while it endlessly fascinates me, i also feel familiar and at home in it.

Besides my obvious ''type me'' attitude in this post, what do you people think of the different understandings of time, considering the different IE's?

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ni dom is more about transcending the time axis, its sort of like being able to take time out of the equation but accounting for it at the same time; which is really weird, but think of it like the opposite of polr, which is like instead of failing to consider the temporal element they view the world through it as a lens, which means they're not really into "history" per se, its more like every single thing they do is loaded with a shitload of assumptions reaching forward and backward through time. Si base is kind of like this: notice it gets called "memory" a lot in MBTI, but the difference is the assumptions in Si are based on actual things that happened where with Ni is more like almost pure imagination. The thing is everyone makes these imaginitive associations they just don't realize they're doing this. these associations are the actual backdrop of the psyche: by paying direct attention to the psychic backdrop underlying human cognition Ni dominants are sort of uniquely able to see what other people are being subconsciously driven by. The problem is they have a really hard time expressing it, but they can see it operating. Paying attention to the psychic background rather than what people are actually saying/doing gives them a very archetypal view of the world where people take the position of symbols and mythical figures. the crazy web of assumptions that everyone carries around with them is what the Ni dom is sort of looking at directly and its what makes everyone into a more or less stereotype. the thing is just like Te dom doesn't make you objectively correct Ni dom doesn't mean you're any better either (notice Ni doms and Te doms don't tend to get along even mirror relations between LII and ILI are weird, I don't think this is a coincidence,) So there's a dreamy disconnected quality to it, because its not grounded in physical reality. i.e. the web may work but maybe it doesn't maybe its pure idiosyncracy, and yet it "catches" anyone they run into in it. I see this a lot with IEI women interacting with people and causing drama because of how people get caught in their web sort of inadvertantly. hamlet might go after people intentionally but with IEI it feels like both sides are the victims. its pretty lol sometimes. with ILI, well I feel like ILI probably has the most horific internal imagery a human being can experience, sort of like a psychotic machine, but they're used to it. I feel like truly shocking an ILI is probably impossible, because part of transcending the time axis is they're already thought up the worst possible stuff a mind can come up with, so anyone else is like an amateur

think of whatever the opposite of buzz lightyears (LSE) puerile heroics is

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, in addition to transcending the time-axis, it also results in some sort of conscious meta-cognition that reaches both themselves and others? Does this inherently give other people 'character' or 'archetypes' as you describe it? I definitely feel a connection with that description, but i may be misunderstanding you - the culmination of what has happened and what will be to understand the motivations and drives, the essence of something in it's process.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah totally, that's what I think it is, but there's the worlds greatest irony there where the meta cognition loses sight of regular cognition they sort of like exist 10 feet off the ground which carries its own set of liabilities so its no pure superpower

there's sort of this idea where its like you have to climb one set of things to get to the next level; here the cognition is meta, but its like they didnt climb the thing properly so much as invert the entire structure and view it from the other side. so meta in this case doesn't entail mastery of the substructure, hency the floaty quality. but its really in the final analysis a matter of perspective, they could say the same thing about normies or whatever, like theyve got no understanding of their own base... in fact thats probably precisely what theyd say

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By your description, especially the 'inverted' approach to understanding others, i identify. I'm still really unsure, especially because the analysis of meta-cognitive tendencies is in itself metacognitive lol, and can skewer your perception of how you 'really' think. But i've spent more time thinking about my thinking that the thing i'm supposedly thinking about...

I can especially feel a need to just 'let go' and feel myself in the world, unfiltered and present.

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well considering how much the media has pushed that message on everyone its probably universal to some degree at this point

im waiting for the day I hear "stay in your room and think more to yourself".. although really meditation becoming something of a fad might amount to this