Thread: People who dream a lot

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default People who dream a lot

Researchers say almost every human dreams several times at night, but the average person only remembers dreaming about half the time. And while some people remember every night's dreams, others have virtually no dream recall.
    In this study, published in the May issue of Personality and Individual Differences, researchers attempted to sort out some of the individual differences that might contribute to variation in dream recall.
    When researchers looked at personality traits that contributed to dream recall, they found people who were prone to absorption, imaginativeness, daydreaming, and fantasizing were most likely to remember their dreams.
    "There is a fundamental continuity between how people experience the world during the day and at night," says researcher David Watson, a professor of psychology at the University of Iowa, in a news release. "People who are prone to daydreaming and fantasy have less of a barrier between states of sleep and wakefulness and seem to more easily pass between them."
    https://www.webmd.com/balance/news/2...er-more-dreams

On thing to remember is:

But students who had inconsistent sleep schedules tended to report more dreams during sleep.
    I haven't put a huge amount - or much research into this, i'm aware of limitations from the outset ... However, from looking at the random thought thread, and from talking to some IEIs, I couldn't help but notice some correlation between Ni type and those having vivid, regular dreams.

Given Ni is the ability to deal with information on the basis of it's possible existence (Ne on the basis of it's hidden potential), that is, Ni is in not just in some passing way connected with imagination, given it's an inner wholeness.

Well, I just wonder if it's something to consider, that Ni types tend to recall their dreams more.

Or .... state your type, your 'imaginativeness, daydreaming, and fantasizing', and your dreami-ness ...

http://www.news-releases.uiowa.edu/2...403dreams.html

By the way - if someone recalls a dream and it sounds so far fetched maybe they made it up, maybe not so....

David Watson, a professor of psychology in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, David Watson, a professor of psychology in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said that the more bizarre a dream was the more likely his subjects were to remember it.
    So .... even if it's not socionics related, it's still interesting to see .... if you dream a lot, you are officially creative ...

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wake up suddenly in the middle of REM sleep, you'll remember your dream.

Otherwise, I never do.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Recall only works within 10 mins after waking up right after the last phase of sleep as Pookie said. You might have the most creative dream yet it gets lost due to wrong timing.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

this corresponds w/ my perception that ive started dreaming less over the years as I've become less creative. I wonder if it goes the other way - if I can train myself to dream, will I increase my creativity?

Banned
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If you wake up suddenly in the middle of REM sleep, you'll remember your dream.

Otherwise, I never do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Recall only works within 10 mins after waking up right after the last phase of sleep as Pookie said. You might have the most creative dream yet it gets lost due to wrong timing.
    These are all good points, I've looked into it a little from your responses ... no one really knows for sure as changes in REM didn't explain the full picture.

Suggestions are that the more bizarre a dream, the more it's classed as not 'non-essential' so we remember it more (ie how many things during the day do we remember, just the important parts, not those 15 minutes staring out the window on the train).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-vivid-dreams/

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    this corresponds w/ my perception that ive started dreaming less over the years as I've become less creative. I wonder if it goes the other way - if I can train myself to dream, will I increase my creativity?
    I don't know if it works like that, there's some articles which suggest lucid dreaming increases creativity, but I don't buy it so much, from what I could tell, it's forgetting that someone who takes an interest in that was likely more creative to begin with.

------

What's interesting is that https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3389337/ dream recall can decrease with age - again no one knows why for sure. Scientifically - yes, scientifically haha, a suggestion is that people become less interested in dreams as they get older, contributing to this.

As for boosting your creativity, I dunno, writers block

I've never been a great recaller of dreams myself, but never seen myself as creative, but admired creative people.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think dreaming is related to N type. Because dreams are basically eruptions from the unconscious or "psychoses" and in those cases intuition is not needed, because it is... an eruption. Everything is visible.

I have had very symbolic dreams. But in daily life I am not symbolically inclined at all. As a sensing type.

But the way people relate to their dreams is probably type related. Intuitives tend to see the meaning in the dream, but sensors look more at the concrete content.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Pretty much what Pookie and Chae said. If I wake up in the middle of a dream I will remember it, otherwise I won't. My dreams tend be really bizarre, at least when I describe them to others.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often Remember my last dream before waking up.
    Quote consistent sleep schedule.
    I dream a lot less if i am very socially Active.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Waking up during dream and higher frequency of rememberance squares with my experience because it happens to me more when I've had alcohol and wake up because of dehydration or am sleeping lightly because of stress or whatever.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

For anyone interested these are pretty simple guides. I was going to write one but not going to reinvent the wheel here and I don't want to share previous writings from my dreaming groups for personal reasons. I kept dream journals for years and pretty much mastered lucid dreaming. I had to stop partly due to exhaustion and sometimes I could no longer distinguish waking and dreaming states. I went too far down that rabbit hole and without the needed rest to balance it can lead to burn out quickly.

I still believe in what I learned about dreaming and myself in the process. I will still purposely induce lucid dreaming now and then but dream symbolism is not where I focus all my energies these days. For a long time now I understand what 90% of my dreams mean upon waking so I don't have to analyze. Rat was correct, I spent many years in groups related to the paranormal and dreaming. I even ran my own. I followed a link to this website and it was pure synchronicity that I landed here. I knew of MBTI (wasn't really that into it) and Enneagram (was really into it) already when I got here so it was not hard for me to sort the basics of socionics out and my understanding has grown by knowing who to learn it from. I also learn other stuff here too. Things related to human nature and how the same patterns I witnessed in other groups play out here. Just about everyone here has a counterpart in other groups/forums I have been involved in. Fascinating to watch the dynamics play out over and over.

I had an epic dream of this forum soon after joining and it helped me get my bearings and see the dynamics of the time. Listening to what my dreams tell me is very important.

LUCID DREAMING – THE INNER WORLD YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT

"Dreams are a reservoir of knowledge and experience, yet they are often overlooked as a vehicle for exploring reality.
    – Tibetan Teacher Tarthang Tulka

Did you know you can use your dreams to solve problems? Face and overcome your fears? And even explore the purpose of life? I didn’t, until recently. But it appears that this scientifically proven practice has existed for thousands of years, dating back to the yogis of Tibetan Buddhism who used lucid dreaming to experience the illusory nature of reality. So what exactly is lucid dreaming? It can be understood as the practice of becoming consciously aware during dreaming. Those that have experienced lucid dreams report amazingly intense feelings of exhilaration, elation and vivid feelings of freedom. A man from Minnesota for instance, described one of his lucid dreams in the following way:..."

~~~

LUCID DREAMING II – A UNIVERSE IN YOUR MIND

"This article is a continuation of my introductory article on Lucid Dreaming. Once completing the three mental exercises of sharpening awareness, critically testing reality and keeping a dream journal, lucid dreaming will be a few steps away. This article will explore the best techniques for waking up in dreams, and maintaining lucid dreams.

LUCID TECHNIQUES

I realized I was dreaming, I raised my arms and began to rise… I rose through black sky that blended to indigo, to deep purple, to lavender, to white… there was the most beautiful music I have ever heard. It seemed like voices rather than instruments. There are no words to describe the joy I felt. It was a long, slow slide to wakefulness… the euphoria lasted several days, the memory, forever.” – from Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming"

~~~

LUCID DREAMING III – THE MEANING OF LIFE IN YOUR DREAMS?

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

– Edgar Allan Poe (A Dream Within a Dream)

From private practice all the way to million dollar box office hits like Inception, Lucid Dreaming has intrigued the minds of many. But there’s more to lucid dreaming than meets the eye. It’s not simply about flying around and sipping cocktails, but can be used to better the quality of your life. From overcoming fears and developing new skills, to solving problems and discovering the meaning of your life, lucid dreaming has amazing potential.

“In your dreams!”

As mentioned in previous articles, lucid dreaming is the practice of becoming consciously aware during dreaming. So if we spend one third of our life dreaming, how can we make the best use of this time in the dream world? You’ll find some amazing possibilities below.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

Once mastering the essential practices of inducing lucid dreams, as mentioned in my previous articles, you can have the power to navigate your dreams. Lucid dreaming has been used by many people as a rehearsal for living. Using your dreams to improve your skills in real life can be effective in a number of ways:..."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    I used to have very vivid and complex dreams that I would very often remember in my teens. When I was around 14/15 I read a bunch of books on dream interpretation/lucid dreaming and liked interpretating my friends dreams. I also kept a dream journal then. I didn't feel like I really needed the books for it, tbh, but I thought they were very interesting. I used to daydream a lot at that period in my life, too.

I went through a period of about 3 or more years where I very rarely remembered my dreams, and I think it was because I wasn't going into a very deep sleep or smth. I also daydreamed less because I didn't have as much time to myself, which I think is bad for me, tbh. I need time on my own to reflect I feel like. I started taking sleeping pills and started having more vivid dreams and actually rembering them, and being altogether happier.
    Medications killed my dreams, especially sleeping pills. :/

Edit: I want to add that stuff like antidepressants were the worst as they numbed me to my inner world and outer world. When I first got into dreaming it was after reading Edgar Cayce. It quickly led me to Jung and from there I was enthralled. I felt like I had found two people who understood my inner world.

@reverie

Sorry to edit on you.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like @maniac said, writing down dreams makes them easier to remember. A while ago I decided that I was going to pay more attention to my dreams and try to glean information from my subconscious, and when I did I started actually telling myself things in my dreams, as in "pay attention to such and such, this is important" and I'd remember it. But, I didn't see anything come of the odd things my dreams told me, (often it was silly things like, "pay attention to the color purple," while purple lights flashed through my dream) so maybe my subconscious self just thought it would be funny to mess with me I gradually stopped writing them down. I do think that it's possible that dreams can be a kind of bridge to your subconscious and might start writing them down again. At any rate, my dreams did seem more vivid and memorable more often when I was keeping track of them.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie View Post
    Are you naturally a deep sleeper or a light sleeper?

I'm a very light sleeper. It sometimes takes me an hour to fall asleep and just about anything wakes me up. I've always been so jealous of people who can just lay down and go to sleep. I've just always had trouble falling and staying asleep. I like to think it's a good thing because if anyone ever broke in or something, I'm pretty sure I'd be the first awake.
    I have had problems with sleeping due to being a natural night owl. My mom says I was like this even as a toddler. I remember how hard it was for me to have to go to bed, sometimes before dark, because of school. I feel like I am in a "in between" state of sleep/wakefulness for hours sometimes. Many nights I feel I haven't slept at all even after 8 hours. I have taken sleeping pills on and off for many years but so does my mother. She also has problems with sleep. She will stay up until 2-3 am even to this day. She just didn't cut me much slack with it because she could make herself get up and go whereas I suffered with it. I think it depends on the sleeping pill too since I know ambien made dreaming so much more pleasant. I also suffered horrible nightmares most of my life but once I mastered lucid dreaming and sorted the symbolism I find many nightmares more enjoyable.

It is some of the hardcore sleeping pills that interfered. The ones that deadened me. Something like benadryl which was my go to when I couldn't get a script did not block as much so I should clarify it isn't all of them. I have tried many due to nightmares.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

We also had some passed down superstitions in my family. Like, tell your dream to someone as soon as you wake but before you go to the bathroom so they won't come true. I figured writing them was good enough if I couldn't tell someone right away. I also would wake during dreams and scribble them down with whatever was available so I would remember since it seemed to be important to me that I woke at that sequence in the dream.

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    When I first got into dreaming it was after reading Edgar Cayce. It quickly led me to Jung and from there I was enthralled. I felt like I had found two people who understood my inner world.
    possibly, as both may be base Ni types - Jung (ILI), Cayce (IEI)

a note:
    "In Russia there comes the hope of the world, not as that sometimes termed of the communistic, or Bolshevik, no; but freedom, freedom! That each man will live for his fellow man! The principle has been born. It will take years for it to be crystallised, but out of Russia comes again the hope of the world." (Edgar Cayce, 1944, No. 3976-29)

_his_ fellow man. In love people live for each other, - may relate to duals.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarper View Post
    that Ni types tend to recall their dreams more.
    Nah. That's unfounded. I'm Ni-PoLR and I can usually remember my dreams quite well. Sometimes I even remember having two dreams.
    Sometimes I tell someone about a dream (usually because they were in it) right after I wake up. Other times I don't get around to that but later in the day something will jog my memory about a dream. Like, "Those flowers - hey, so-and-so had flowers in my dream!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I don't think dreaming is related to N type. Because dreams are basically eruptions from the unconscious or "psychoses" and in those cases intuition is not needed, because it is... an eruption. Everything is visible.

I have had very symbolic dreams. But in daily life I am not symbolically inclined at all. As a sensing type.

But the way people relate to their dreams is probably type related. Intuitives tend to see the meaning in the dream, but sensors look more at the concrete content.
    Kyllä.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I dream a lot less if i am very socially Active.
    Not I. If I was chatting with someone for a while just before going to bed, I'm more likely to dream bout them.

I described several of my dreams to a friend (EII) who likes analyzing dreams, and he noticed that my dreams have a running cooperative theme. They always involve other people, even if the other people are NPCs who I don't know irl. (I didn't realize having a dream without others in it was even possible until he said that's what he has.)

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lucid dream every night. Sometimes I am already interpreting the dream as it is happening. Subconcious activity sorting itself out. Some long running themes. I would have to agree with everything the OP said.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    (I didn't realize having a dream without others in it was even possible until he said that's what he has.)
    Actually, my dreams also always involve other people. It would be pretty strange to have a dream without anyone in.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have dreams without people.

I have heard of someone who had dreams about math problems. Sounds actually very convenient approach to solve them if logic holds but maybe it gives new perspective.

How Germans do it:

German animation/comic figure detective Nick Knatterton.
    Has a dream where he dreams about a dream in which he dreams about a dream.
    Multiplies the efficiency.
    If that is not ILE logic then I don't know what is.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 12-01-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    I lucid dream every night. Sometimes I am already interpreting the dream as it is happening.
    That's interesting because I have also noticed the benefit of interpreting dreams immediately, although I do it after waking up (still half asleep). If I then imagine being the person I've seen in the dream, I can experience a strange mood change that is the consciousness that was projected into the dream character. When fully awake this kind of experiment is much harder.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very prone to daydreaming (coping mechanism).
    Frequency of dreams: variable, have remembered 4-5 dreams per night during some periods of life, others I don't recall any. It tends to be a bad sign for me to be at either extreme. Dreams show internally coherent symbolism which evolves in the long run. Strong internal shifts are accompanied by particularly vivid dreams.
    Dreams themselves are not hugely fantastical. Fantastical as used here is defined as 'having elements of fantasy literature' so magic, spells, mystical creatures, wizards etc.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    That's interesting because I have also noticed the benefit of interpreting dreams immediately, although I do it after waking up (still half asleep). If I then imagine being the person I've seen in the dream, I can experience a strange mood change that is the consciousness that was projected into the dream character. When fully awake this kind of experiment is much harder.
    You know Im at the point now where the dreams Im having are sequenced witht the 'events' (circumstances, thoughts, actions, feelings, ect.) with the events of the previous day before I fell asleep. So the last dream I had the night before all the way up to when I fell asleep 'happens' in a similar order in my dream. Almost a tape playing as it was recorded and in order. The most vivid dreams happen just before waking, in the early morning. I know that if I can have a hour and 45 min of that dream first thing in the morning, my alert mind will feel 'rested' (other parts might still be tired depending: body, spirit). I can push the limit to about 6 hr 45 min of the bare minimum amount of sleep, but know that the 'rest' portion of a nights dream come at the 7 hr asleep mark.