Thread: Your Childhood Bedtime Stories

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Your Childhood Bedtime Stories

Ahh, nostalgia Present the books you've read yourself or that were read to you.

"Sultan Mudschi Bedtime Stories" by Erwin Moser (read to me by mom)

The most fantastical book ever. Very SP/SO.

For instance, it had stories of a mouse family driving around in a steaming teapot car. The cover story was about an oriental cat who learned to float on a pillow to escape a fox who got interested in his hookah

Spiritual
    TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I never had bedtime stories. I don't keep the books of my childhood. My parents give them to random people because they have that bad habit.

Anyway my favorite book was an activity book about gnomes with beautiful illustrations by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet. On the book appeared a Mermaid and an Unicorn, they were my favs (I can't find pics).

Another one was called A Treasury of Fairy Tales and the illustrator was Annie Claude Martin.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slugabed View Post
    Anyway my favorite book was an activity book about gnomes with beautiful illustrations by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet. On the book appeared a Mermaid and an Unicorn, they were my favs (I can't find pics).
    We had a whole series of these as big coffee table books: one on gnomes with the same illustrations, one on giants, and one on fairies

I was read to alot as a child for bedtime, until i got old enough to read for myself. series and books i remember off the top of my head...

The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe series
    The Chronicles of Prydain series
    Little house on the prairie series
    A Wrinkle in Time series
    The Borrowers series
    Danny the Champion of the World
    Fantastic Mr Fox (one of my favorites, I remember this being one of my first books to read on my own once i got old enough to read for myself)
    those little golden books
    dr seuss
    there was a set of Seseme Street books that i remember getting each month that had like cookie monster cookie dough recipes along with other seseme street type stuff done episodically
    old Mad Magazine books (reading on my own)
    I remember some of my favorites to look through were these cut away how things work/are structured inside books (I'm specifically remembering a cruise ship with little people in it in the book)

my dad was corporate level in a large nationwide printing company, so we also had lots and lots of random coffee table books, childrens books, and various encyclopedias of things that he'd get for free and bring home for us.

I'm sure more will come to me all night long after I post this...

also I had original family stories told me in serialized nightly episodes...
    Farmer Jake - stories told by my Dad (and Grandpa when they were visiting)
    A series of adventures told by my next older brother centered around adventures with a blow up blimp we had, i don't remember who went on the adventures (maybe us?) but they a pet giant spider (his hand) that crapped pizzas
    Last edited by bgbg; 08-08-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have listened podcast series on analysis of classic stories. That stuff is brutal especially the history behind them. Modern versions are much cleaner.

Sadism, rapes etc.

I had lots of them. Made new ones myself as well.
    Lots of books. We used libraries a lot and we even went to libraries of nearby municipalities. (After that I consumed all the comics quite pace after I learnt to read...)
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 08-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

my dad used to tell me about a guy who had his nose up his forehead lmao, and everyone bullied him, then one day they were chasing him down and he ran all the way to a village with people who all had their nose up their forehead aswel, and the people with their noses where they should be felt uncomfortable...

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unsuccessfull Alphamale View Post
    I have listened podcast series on analysis of classic stories. That stuff is brutal especially the history behind them. Modern versions are much cleaner.

Sadism, rapes etc.
    Agreed - compare Grimm's Fairy Tales, for instance.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the one about the ugly barnacle. There once was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly, that everyone died. The end.

Sadly, I didn't really get read bed time stories, but I did make it a point to ask the definition of one word each night, although I stopped eventually.

I did read a lot of books at night. There was a series I read that took place in the Star Wars universe that I particularly enjoyed called "Galaxy of Fear". It is quite good. The premise was that the Empire was conducting experiments on its citizens and keeping dark secrets. There were no Jedi, just a bunch of children on the run in the galaxy with their father from the Empire. They were surprisingly dark for children's books, and fit well within the Star Wars Universe. Different from Goosebumps, though. I stayed up until 2 or 3 AM reading those books. Would be neat to get a movie based on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever hear...the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)