Thread: Te and "efficiency"

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Te and "efficiency"

I think that the ideas about Te and efficiency are frequently misunderstood. People think of "efficiency" as in having things to expend as little energy as possible, like efficient cars or efficient systems. Personally as a Te-PoLR type, I LOVE efficiency and I'm obsessed with trying to make something expend as little time or energy as possible, to make it more efficient. I think this has more to do with personality than type. Some people just don't want to bother and "go big" and don't really care about creating a lot of waste, while I'm really bothered with the idea of something going to waste.

If I understand it correctly, Te is about comparison of objects, as in people or actual objects. And it picks the one that can do its "job" better.

For example, if there's an old-fashioned bicycle and a scooter, Te picks the scooter. If there were two people that can do the same job, Te will pick the one that can do it better or faster. If they were dealing with people that appear to go nowhere, then they would not "waste their time" and suggest that they see somebody else. This has the potential of being perceived by Fe as being "cold", because there might be sentimental (subjective) values attached to the object or the person.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proficiency
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are different ways of measuring efficiency. For instance you can be efficient in terms of cost-effectiveness or efficient with time management.

For me I tend to value time efficiency the most, especially with more minor purchases. My mother will look in several different stores for like products compare all of the specifications, read customer reviews, maybe even wait a week or two to see if something goes on sale. I don't normally have the patience for all of that. I tend to buy the first thing that meets my personal specifications and I perceive as being reasonably priced. Even though my method may not be the most financially efficient, it is more time efficient. For me, saving time tends to take a larger priority because I can't get lost time back but eventually I will make more money.

With larger purchases I will take more time and cross compare more models before making a decision but I find doing too much of that tedious and I just want to get it done with.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I think that the ideas about Te and efficiency are frequently misunderstood. People think of "efficiency" as in having things to expend as little energy as possible, like efficient cars or efficient systems. Personally as a Te-PoLR type, I LOVE efficiency and I'm obsessed with trying to make something expend as little time or energy as possible, to make it more efficient. I think this has more to do with personality than type. Some people just don't want to bother and "go big" and don't really care about creating a lot of waste, while I'm really bothered with the idea of something going to waste.

If I understand it correctly, Te is about comparison of objects, as in people or actual objects. And it picks the one that can do its "job" better.

For example, if there's an old-fashioned bicycle and a scooter, Te picks the scooter. If there were two people that can do the same job, Te will pick the one that can do it better or faster. If they were dealing with people that appear to go nowhere, then they would not "waste their time" and suggest that they see somebody else. This has the potential of being perceived by Fe as being "cold", because there might be sentimental (subjective) values attached to the object or the person.
    I'm not really clear on what kind of distinction you're trying to draw here. Te is about doing whatever gets the job done better, but it is also about improving the quality of processes (more TeSi). With "going big" vs. paying attention to the details it seems like you are talking about TeSe vs. TeSi.