TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What you need or think you need in a job

Just curious to hear others lists...

The context of this, is I'm considering it from a functional pov as it serves me well right now.

For projects, I need to be on top of the timeline - a hard deadline can suffice, but I like it best when I was in the initial project meeting because then I fully understand the stakes and can get a mental picture that guides me in my work. It doesn't really guide me in the sense that I'm thinking about it constantly. But it orients the feelings of time, urgency/non-urgency, etc. very well so that I can feel my way through my work and completion flows out nicely, respectful of the stakes, and hitting the hard deadline. It also enables me to ask questions that can save time later. Often times I've noticed that those presenting a project haven't really thought it through. This kind of annoys me because I'm actually *good* at thinking things through when I'm functioning well. I wouldn't present something complex to someone without having thought it through. Also by being involved more initially, there are less opportunities for me to get lost in indecision where I put off approaching various people to ask them the needed questions to reduce indecision. This is largely wasteful too because it wastes my time and that of the people I have to question after the fact. I don't like nebulous projects.

No/few interruptions. I don't do well with working on something if I am constantly being interrupted. I am very good at deep focus, but I can't do it if there are interruptions. It fucks my focus up so badly that it renders me helpless and unproductive. After that my emotions threaten to crash too and I become very upset, discouraged, angry, defeated, etc. Eventually I just break down and cry.

No interruptions about little things like office supplies, trash, people's office chairs, or anything that isn't even that important in the larger scheme of things and could be sent in an email. I by default despise materialism and don't see it as important in life. I expect people to be able to independently deal with their own resources as I ask no one for help in dealing with mine unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to be questioned endlessly about things people are capable of figuring out themselves or doing themselves, especially if they are only doing it because they are lazy or just need to yap at someone. If I'm constantly interrupted with this stuff and plagued by it, it ends up trapping me in the present just reacting to people. This makes me unable to function, unless my job is *only* doing these sorts of things. However, that would not be a job I would prefer. Being trapped in the present is a terrible hell. It's like being a bird with clipped wings. I like to see my workload out ahead of me, and a constant barrage of immediate and random requests fucks up my ability to move forward in any way at all, dashing my plans.

Motion. I need to actually be moving somewhere. A sense of motion towards deadlines for instance, fills me with motivation. The absence of this fills me with discouragement and a sense of stagnation.

Unless I am managing something entirely myself (in which case this doesn't apply), I need to be able to actually finish something. I do no like projects handed down to me that never end. There are some things I might be able to regularly maintain, but I would need to be wholly responsible for them. This allows me to be constantly flowing with these things so I simply know when actions are needed and when they can wait and no one is surprising me with misc. requests. (There is some wiggle room in this, but direct experience hasn't narrowed it down yet.)

I don't like managing people unless they can be independent. If I have to spend all my time asking them to do things, holding their hand as they do it, etc. it is highly frustrating. People who can solve problems on their own without constantly needing help are much preferred. People who can learn on their own are also preferred. Really though I don't like managing people at all. I prefer equal colleagues. We can converge on our parts of the work, review where it's at, and then go back to it after having re-evaluated the scope/progression/rate.

I don't like managing people's emotions. People are sensitive often and I am too. But I don't feel able to really help people with that. A person's emotional needs are their responsibility. That said, there needs to be enough autonomy for everyone to be able to manage on their own. Being overly enslaved in a hierarchy often makes people powerless.

No customer service, unless in meetings where you work with the same person for a while. No immediate interruptions or demands by customers, unless once again it's that I'm working with one person/one small group and something has come up. I don't like catering to people and their need to have their egos stroked, or their need to get whatever they want whenever they want it like some child. Babysitting is not something I like doing with adults.

Freedom of speech. Venting of frustration, airing your actual views, cussing, saying unpopular opinions... all of this should be allowed. Of course there has to be some limit. Like I don't want to be associated with people plotting murder at work or something. I just think people need to be allowed to be human. There are also limitations regarding bigotry. I don't want to be associated with a bunch of racist assholes who just go on biasedly judging people by skin color or culture. It is stupid and wrong.

A strong leader. My favorite bosses are strong, direct, able to handle conflict, and they will give orders. Such a boss makes me feel secure, supported, protected, and stronger. If a person is a leader, s/he should be able to do these things (should be worthy of respect). S/he should be able to handle situations and people. I am not fond of the scattered visionary bosses who need help with every little tiny thing and just sputter about. I also prefer direct requests, not a bunch of tip-toeing where people only hint at what they want. I like a leader who knows what they want. And also one who can tolerate some resistance, but will kind of put me in my place if I'm wrong. I learn from such things, and don't repeat the mistake because it tends to be *very clear*. I also like when the leader has strong initiative.

Somewhat contradictory to the above: freedom to work independently. I do very well when the scope of my work is well defined and when I have control over it.

Somewhat contrary to the above, not too much responsibility. I really like people above me having the responsibility, but I assist, and in a way that helps and does not hinder their objectives.

I can however deal with contradictions from a leader. I can be a fairly contradictory person myself. I don't need like a constant clear set of rules and precedents and so on. I prefer guidelines.

Ethical significance and alignment with ideals. I need to feel that my work is important and need it to be in line with my ideals. I need to feel like I can own it really and that it is something I would be working on anyway if given the choice.

Some flexibility in schedule. I don't like being locked down. I work best in spurts.

Creativity of some sort... I do not yet know.

Problem-solving of <the right kind>. I tend to be very good at diagnosing and figuring out what is wrong. I also am good at solving mysteries <to a certain degree>. I am also good at investigating and evaluating. When confronted with <the right kind of> problems, they motivate me in and of themselves. I can fix things. But to do this, I can't constantly be bogged down with little things.

An enclosed space. Working in open spaces is the fucking pits. Especially when surrounded by people who want to tell you about everything they are doing. "Now I am printing. Then I will close this program. Now I need a..." Like, thanks for sharing? Can I do my work or do you need someone to observe you at every moment?

Somewhat contrary to the above, freedom to talk with coworkers even if the conversation wanders into non-work-related realms. This is needed for building good relationships imo and it's just human.

Freedom of self-expression. I feel best in environments where people can be themselves, even if it's "weird" or "unconventional" by some people's standards.

Something that is intellectually stimulating enough. <need to specify>

Some freedom of methods/tactics. There are often many ways to do one thing. Some ways end up seeming to work better than others.

Almost no mailing. I will mail anything I need to mail myself. But I don't want to have to constantly be shipping and receiving shit. I tend to put off packaging and unpacking things. It feels like it bogs me down. I have enough to get myself to mail my own stuff though because it's part of a larger plan.

No system of delegating the shittiest parts of our jobs down the line. The work of everyone should be well divided. There will always be a small proportion of "little things" and it tends to work better imo if people address their share rather than passing it all through some complex bureaucracy. For instance, I can fill out my own travel form. Like I'm the one who wants to be reimbursed and who knows exactly what I'm doing. I don't like servants.

Enough pay to not be economically restricted to paycheck-to-paycheck living.

Room for growth. And something where I can learn new things, not be trapped in a repetitive routine.

I actually think I would like some travel.

Not too many details. <need to specify what kinds>

No/very little directing people about where to find things. I am not very good at this. And when I'm new in a place I tend to scope it out and figure out where stuff is on my own because it saves loads of time later. I don't care much for logistics.

No need for the best aesthetics or furniture. Who fucking cares? It seems stupid to constantly be replacing chairs and furniture. I don't need my surrounding to be pretty either. I prefer to spend as little time as possible on materialistic crap.

That said, good computers and technology. Being slowed down by your computer sucks and makes things very difficult.

Very little immediacy. Like if someone just emailed me 10 minutes ago, don't expect me to be constantly reading every email in real time. I don't need to be questioned about an email immediately. "About this unimportant, not time-sensitive topic *refers to recently sent email* now this additionally unimportant thing has occurred. I thought I would just tell you in person." Ugh.

this all seems quite hateful and anti-other humans. i have such a hateful streak. but i just don't feel like anyone ever aids me, but instead smothers, overwhelms and takes from me. so i feel like i need things to keep them back because i fear them all and how they will take what little i have in terms of myself. i can't hold myself together and they want even more--even as i'm breaking. i can only manage relations with a few. autonomy and individuality are important.

also ps. this list came after years of working in office environments and observing what i like and dislike. i think that it could possibly be Si related. perhaps intuitives would not generate such "functional" lists. but on the other hand, i also seem to be saying: handle your own sensing needs (Si/Se). i can barely deal with mine, and yours + mine is too much.
    Last edited by marooned; 10-14-2016 at 07:08 PM.

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Love the question There we go:

- proper rate of utilization that suits me
    - elements of risk and difficulty
    - creativity plays a huge role
    - getting a sufficient amount of money is important but so are ethics, my work doesn't actively hurt someone else
    - everyone is dedicated and proactive (or acts like that when encouraged)
    - tasks are distributed well, everyone does what matches their skill and passion
    - being with people that share my mentality
    - stimulation (I'm SX first, there has to be excitement)
    - my work should inspire and empower
    - there is opportunity for pioneering and producing visionary values
    - I want to supervise, plan and decide.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something with wheels, like a funny chair or something that spins. Not a stupid supervisor. Hm, money and freedom etc.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mainly need a flexible work schedule in my job, I can't stand the 9-5 work schedule, they are like a nightmare to me. I also need a job that allows me to work independently. Does such a job even exist in this world though?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

adequate bosses

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I need to do something intellectually stimulating and meaningful.

I need to feel like I'm making a positive difference somehow and recognized for that.

I need to feel competent at what I do and feel a sense of accomplishment. Ideally I'd like to be recognized for the knowledge and competence I bring.

Maybe it sounds a little narcissistic, but I want to feel like an indispensable employee- the kind of person that would be difficult to find a suitable replacement.

It's weird because I took an interest inventory and scored investigative on the top with social second. I often do feel drawn to the types of work that will positively impact other peoples' lives. But I'm an introvert who needs to work mostly alone, where I can deeply immerse myself in a task of interest, uninterrupted. I guess you could say, the kind of work that does positive things for people but without the constant people contact. If I have people contact, it's assisting or advising others one-on-one.

I need a manager who will give me clear expectations of what good and poor work performance is, so that when I get my performance evaluation, there are no unpleasant surprises. However, I hate having too many specific rules shoved down my throat and I can't stand to be micromanaged or constantly observed. So give me clear expectations but the method I use to achieve it is very flexible. Basically, I just want to be left alone and trusted that I will do a good job.

I do want my manager to be readily available though in case there are problems I can't solve or unsure how to proceed. I also want occasional and timely feedback. A balance of praise and constructive criticism.

I want variety in my work tasks so that I'm not doing the exact same thing repeatedly. But I don't want so much change either that I would have trouble keeping up.

I need lots of opportunities for growth and personal development.

Oddly enough, I don't mind an office setting, provided I like the work I'm doing.

I like the opportunity for travel but don't require it. Working at home is highly appealing to me.

Financial security is a must. A decent living wage. Health care benefits sure are nice. Don't want to risk going broke because of some unforeseen medical condition. A job I know I could keep if I wanted to, because I hate job hunting with a passion.

Harmonious relationships with my boss and coworkers is a must. Even if I will be working alone much of the time, because you still are going to be interacting with people. I'll even go one step further and wish for something where I never had to interact with any difficult personalities. Which is why I'm not well suited to customer service.

I cannot do things that would compromise my integrity or ethics. I'm also sometimes too honest for my own good. I would make a terrible salesperson, especially of products that are questionable quality. I cannot work for companies that put profit above the people.

Physically comfortable work conditions are a must. No military basic training or having to work outside in adverse weather conditions. I do like working outdoors, but only when the weather is nice.

I need to be treated fairly. Ideally a workplace with no to minimal hierarchy. Everyone has an equal say and value even if we do have different job titles.

A job that will give me adequate amount of leisure time. I take pride in my work but I don't want to be married to my job either.

I want some flexibility in my work hours but also have some guarantee that I would get a given amount of work hours for financial security reasons.

All in all the job itself isn't important. I can't even say I have a dream job. I place far more value on the work conditions such as those listed above.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ability to do it, and the ease of forcing myself to enjoy it.

And the absence of snakes who try to personally undermine me just because of my naturally cringey personality. I wouldn't survive that kind of scenario.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I need a quiet relatively calm environment so that I can work
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

- Nice and empathetic colleagues
    - Creating or solving something
    - Would like it to be related to art in some way (music, digital art, fx makeup, vfx artist, actor, the person who 'sets the scene' in movies etc...)
    - At least one attractive guy colleague
    - Colleagues that take things seriously and enjoy what they are doing. Hate doing what I love and the people I work with hate it and don't even try to make it the best.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Money

People to at least be indifferent to each other. Not too hateful. Manipulation over aggression.

The job not being too far away from where I live. I hate commuting or traveling far for a job blah. Waste an hour of my precious life just to drive there... and an hour back. That's too much.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 10-22-2016 at 07:20 AM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

what chips said.. but the most important things..

challenging and/or novel problem to solve
    ability to define own problems
    respect and inattention to hierarchy on a personal level
    non-slave level pay

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally:
    a way to help people or society
    good pay
    get along with coworkers and boss
    organized and fair management (ideally relaxed and not strict)

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to be my own boss, I don't need to boss others around, but I must not be bossed around by others. Trading in hours for wages is crazy talk. My time's worth more than minimum wage. I need to be able to pay my bills and buy food without frantically checking my bank balance everyday. I don't want to think, "Wow. Did the shampoo and conditioner from fucking Walmart seriously cost me one hour of today's work? This is bullshit! Did I really just spend an entire hour of hard, back breaking labor for fucking soap that's gonna give me cancer anyway because it was made for poor people?" See what I'm saying? What I really want in a job is to feel like I'm out of the rat race. I'm not there yet since I got a "real" job in retail, I miss dancing so much tho because it was flexible and I had no boss and rude customers could just kiss my ass and I could tell them that. You can't say "Fuck you you rude ass mother fucker" or, "nothing's for free here. Bye" to some entitled customer at a store. It isn't socially acceptable to put rotten customers right in their place for some reason LOL. But anyway back to what I was saying, I need a life when I have a job. I can't trade my life in for a stupid job, well I would trade in my life to do something I was passionate about like hair or music, those two would be my dream jobs, cutting hair or performing on stage. Basically, my ego can't handle having someone with a name tag that's somehow more special than my name tag make a fool of me for 10 hours a day. It's humiliating and degrading. And most people tell you "that's just life kid" well that's just YOUR life, not mine, jokes on you not me. I am not a rat in a race. Alright I'm done with this soap box. I suck at normal jobs and I want awesome jobs.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really just a paycheck. Its not supposed to be fun, fulfillment is found elsewhere.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.