Thread: Introverts: solipsism and the 7th function

Default Introverts: solipsism and the 7th function

Solipsism is the idea that only the self can be known to exist. Introverts have, in my opinion, a solipsistic view of reality in terms of their 7th function.

Ni base, "I am the only potential object (Ne) that exists"
    Si base, "I am the only concrete object (Se) that exists"
    Fi base, "I am the only emotional object (Fe) that exists"
    Ti base, "I am the only thought object (Te) that exists"

The introvert's sense of self comes from the feelings that 7th function objects generate within them. They continually reinforce their identity by staying with the objects that most affect them, to the point where they cannot break the relationship without deflating their ego. Eventually, (I believe) they come to the subconscious conclusion that they ARE those objects, and losing them triggers a defensive reaction, as though they were losing a part themselves. They become blind to 7th function objects that have no internal effect on them, so completely do they filter external reality to match their inner responses.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's this one?

"I am the only hungry object that exists"
    good bye

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reactance View Post
    What's this one?

"I am the only hungry object that exists"
    Lol
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    Solipsism is the idea that only the self can be known to exist. Introverts have, in my opinion, a solipsistic view of reality in terms of their 7th function.

Ni base, "I am the only potential object (Ne) that exists"
    Si base, "I am the only concrete object (Se) that exists"
    Fi base, "I am the only emotional object (Fe) that exists"
    Ti base, "I am the only thought object (Te) that exists"

The introvert's sense of self comes from the feelings that 7th function objects generate within them. They continually reinforce their identity by staying with the objects that most affect them, to the point where they cannot break the relationship without deflating their ego. Eventually, (I believe) they come to the subconscious conclusion that they ARE those objects, and losing them triggers a defensive reaction, as though they were losing a part themselves. They become blind to 7th function objects that have no internal effect on them, so completely do they filter external reality to match their inner responses.
    That's a pitfall of introversion, I do not think that most of them fall into it without outside influence however. The introvert recharges the self by being alone with themselves, isolation isn't too big of a problem for them. They're in their own little world and they rather much like it. However, the introvert does crave outside attention and influence. It does seek "another" person that will hopefully compensate for its known weak points (i.e. they still engage in dual seeking). They will be drawn to extroverts by nature, seeing someone who can deal with constant socialization and activity as something to be admired and even desired even if they cannot really do it themselves on a consistent basis. The extrovert in turn will see the introvert's nature as likewise admirable, they know themselves and don't generally cave to the demands of social connections. It's an "inner strength" that they feel themselves drawn to because they themselves probably are wanting in that department. It's all about the dual seeking, everyone's trying to compensate for their own completely natural weaknesses and get what they want out of their own lives whilst also helping someone else to do likewise.

This assumes a general lack of psychological issues however. Broken families, psycho parents, outright hostile social environment, these will lead the introvert into the pitfall. They will become hateful of sociality, hateful of any true emotional connection with others. They will build a wall around their heart, dismissing even the most earnest attempts to "get them out of their shell" and actually interact with others honestly. This is, sadly, what the current system induces. It is aligned against introverts, it teaches that such people are "weird" or "not quite right" when nothing is further from the truth. Some people are just natural loners, but really all you have to do is give them a hug and they'll start to open up. Some people just can't handle a large circle of "friends", preferring to just have a few people around whom they are sure of in regards to who they are and how they feel about them. It's not a bad thing to be introverted, but it is bad to say such people have a problem when they don't. They really do need some time alone on occasion, just give it to them. They'll be back, they always be back unless, again, they have actual psychological issues. Which the modern world is doing its damnedest to instill in us all, both extroverts and introverts, but introverts most especially.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My take on the extroversion version of these:

Ne- "I am capable of reacting dynamically to any situation that comes up therefore I am not in need of a plan (Ni)."
    Se- "I am strong enough to deal with any external threat therefore I have no need to focus on my health or internal states (Si)
    Te- "I am capable of understanding how to use something for its intended purpose therefore I do not need to understand it's inner workings (Ti)"
    Fe- "I can properly express my own emotions and care for the emotional displays of others therefore I do not need to examine my inner feelings( Fi)."

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://forums.philosophyforums.com/t...ism-71505.html

Solipsism in 1st sense seems Pi, in 2nd seems Pe, in 3rd seems Ji. So, solipsism is mainly stationed in Pi, as this share one letter w/ Pe & Ji. Makes sense... Pi is subjective perception after all, what could be more solipsist? Also, in the MOTIV system (from similarminds), the Spartan orientation (correlates to introversion) is never explicitly called solipsistic, but is implicitly called more solipsistic. The author said sth somewhere abut the opposing attitude (materialism) being more attuned to external, material, consensus, objective, intersubjective etc reality. Intersubjectivity seems like Je to... So Pi is pure subjectivity, Pe objectivity, Ji interobjectivity, whatever that is (truth shared among objects, much as Ti categories, for instance?).

OTOH, perhaps it is more complicated then extroversion = materialism, introversion = Spartan. Gulenko says sensors are materialists, intuitives are idealists after all.
    Last edited by kopyk; 10-29-2015 at 10:52 AM.