Thread: Question for so-lasts

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Oh it was straight up lying but the alternative seemed way worse at the time. I only had a couple close friends and the idea of my mom going to their houses to tell their parents what lousy people they were and that they were raising miscreants was horrifying. Not only did I want to make my mom admit that I was never going to be the perfect child, I also wanted to keep my close friends who did accept me as I was.

Edit: This was pretty much during my preteens, btw.
    I recently set up an SLE with his dual *feeling proud*
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Friendship is very important to me. I have deep ones and a handfull who will never betray me and I have never betrayed anyone so that isn't going to happen. My personal values are to be a companion to someone so that we are both not alone because people are not meant to be alone and help motivate someone to find or have a purpose to their lives. In my opinion, people grow apart because they allow it.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 09-11-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

things not having to do with the social instinct factor into sociability (i.e. introversion). what social lasters have in common is their weak sense for the way that people/events in the environment connect to one another socially, and that's where the social instinct comes in.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I don't have friends mostly because I'm not good with keeping up with people. I'm not even sure how to go about maintaining friendships at this point, tbh. It's not that I hate people (well, I tend to avoid people who I don't already know), but I just don't see it as top priority or whatever. Unless someone else takes the initiative, my friendships generally fade away slowly.
    Same. I don't make much effort to keep up with people and eventually notice we've completely lost touch. I thought this was true for all introverts, but maybe it isn't.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    Same. I don't make much effort to keep up with people and eventually notice we've completely lost touch. I thought this was true for all introverts, but maybe it isn't.
    -

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squark View Post
    It was like that for me until I decided that was no good. Though I am selective about who I want to try and keep in touch with.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    It was like that for me until I decided that was no good. Though I am selective about who I want to try and keep in touch with.
    Why is it no good though? I rarely talk to people outside my current sphere of mutual influence including some family members. If I am in ongoing communication with someone it is usually serving a purpose for both of us. Sometimes it is emotional and sometimes information or energy exchange. I do not want to feel like I have to force myself to communicate when there is no reason to. Sure I will randomly send a friend a message of support if it comes to my attention they are going through something but in general I do not keep up with anyone I am not interested in sharing an experience with right now. People outgrow each other all the time and I don't think anyone should feel bad about being in a different place. I don't want stagnant relationships built on expectations. Not saying you do but some do guilt others for not maintaining long term bonds. Not saying you are. I have said I still feel as much love and caring for most people I was close to in my past but when I try to talk to them now sometimes it just feels awkward or like work because we no longer share personal interests. so then it sort of naturally fades away again.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Why is it no good though? I rarely talk to people outside my current sphere of mutual influence including some family members. If I am in ongoing communication with someone it is usually serving a purpose for both of us. Sometimes it is emotional and sometimes information or energy exchange. I do not want to feel like I have to force myself to communicate when there is no reason to. Sure I will randomly send a friend a message of support if it comes to my attention they are going through something but in general I do not keep up with anyone I am not interested in sharing an experience with right now. People outgrow each other all the time and I don't think anyone should feel bad about being in a different place. I don't want stagnant relationships built on expectations. Not saying you do but some do guilt others for not maintaining long term bonds. Not saying you are. I have said I still feel as much love and caring for most people I was close to in my past but when I try to talk to them now sometimes it just feels awkward or like work because we no longer share personal interests. so then it sort of naturally fades away again.
    Why, well if I have made a great connection with someone I shouldn't just let it fade away as long as it still works for both of us. Nothing I said implied anything about stagnant relations. I'm simply very prone to focus on tasks and goals instead of people so if I did not do this conscious focus on people, I would not at all have a chance to share anything with anyone. I can't expect anyone to always take up the task of contacting me while I'm never doing it myself. I have too many faded away relations from the past already. Btw I'm like you with that I'm still just as interested in them as before even without keeping up the contact regularly enough but I just find that way of living no longer satisfies me.

I do know that from most connections you cannot expect that the connection will stay strong and with you forever, maybe not from any connection whatsoever - that would be sad though and I don't really want that to be true -, what I find satisfying or even exhilarating about this world though is that one can always be on the hunt seeking..

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Hey you little so-lasts..

So I've been wondering.. just how little importance/value do you place on friendship groups/circles/organizations.. etc? What does being so-last truly look like/manifest in for you? I have a close friend who is sp/sx and it's almost terrifying to me how he genuinely doesn't need friendships outside of girls he dates.. He has zero interest in making same-sex friends because to him he doesn't see the point.. it's actually kind of repulsive to me because I don't relate to it at all.. We're really only good friends cause we used to date! LOL

I'm just wondering if this is also due to introversion and how an extraverted so-last would come across? How do you guys survive... hahaha
    i'm extremely introverted and definitely a loner. in the past, friends i've made are usually due to being thrust into each other's company. some people in this thread mentioned that they don't keep up with friends well, which contributes to being a loner. that applies to me, but i'm not sure it's the main explanation. it takes a lot of "energy" for me to be social, and i get drained easily. really, having to interact with people at work 40 hours a week exhausts me, and i just long to be alone. the only time i seem to really have time for people is for close immediate family and if someone enters my life romantically, i flip entirely, and am able to spend all my time with that person. but i think it's because i merge with them, and somehow this doesn't drain my "energy." so, perhaps i am kind of like the friend you mention, but it's not necessarily because i don't need friends. it's mainly that with work in my life and all of those horrible superficial interactions, i just need so badly to be alone, safe from people "violating" me. i feel hugely violated and exposed (in a misrepresented way) and tortured really at work, and it takes the rest of my time to recover. after a day of work, i just shut myself up in my apartment for safety. sometimes i cry and shake. sometimes i just want to kill myself after a day of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    As one of the few remaining Elite True Sx/Sps on here
    oh dear. i hope you're not being serious...

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Reposting this from the enneagram workshop notes. It sounds like quite a few responses are falling into the pit of literal interpretation of how the instincts were named e.g. "SO/Social" = social extraversion = lots of friends / hanging out in groups etc., which is not the case
    well, some of us are legitimate loners... probably a lot of us. i personally seem to change my stack depending on interpretations (mine) rather frequently.

i'll keep the things in the rest of your quote i particularly relate to--or perhaps, don't relate to, in some cases.

~ acceptance, interested in who others really are [acknowledgement of others]
    ~ awareness of the other -- compared with sx awareness of the energy between two people, soc brings awareness of the other as themselves, as a person in their own right -- and of how one's self and the other are affecting each other
    i'm not interested in most people, but when i am interested in someone i go digging until i find their core/soul. i generally see others as individual, independent beings in their own right. i think that it's important to never forget that, because losing sight of it has resulted in some of the most terrible atrocities humans have committed against one another. i've always (as long as i remember) had an awareness of this. oppression of another on the grounds of a supposed "group" they are reduced to has long been something that bothers me, and something i fear. i don't like reducing individuals to characteristics of any "group" because that denies them their humanity. still, i live most of my life with myself and ignore most people, unable to take any interest in them. when i am interested, my interest becomes pretty intense and obsessive. i want to see *everything* inside them.

~ soc brings a certain humility because of the sense of interdependence. less overestimating the relative importance of one individual self
    this oddly seems to contradict the previous thing... but i don't really feel interdependent. in fact, i view being interdependent as something dangerous. i don't really believe anyone will bail me out. i kind of know i'm on my own and that no one will save me, despite my fantasies when i was in my twenties. i think the world is largely cruel. i also resent people who have a sense of interdependence. i see them as threats trying to sap what little strength i have from me. i hate them for wanting to take and for giving nothing. if i could, i would run far away from these sorts of people with their goddamn sense of "community." this isn't to say, i don't have any inclinations towards "community." i'm just rather touchy about this. usually the people that go on and on about "helping each other out" just want others to burn away their light in service. i despise people like that. not only do i see them as weak (both in character and in nature) but i see them as unethical.

~ cited a study in which the biggest factor for longevity was friendship
    i really like long-term friendships. but i'm not good at maintaining them, even though i remember everyone. if i'm with someone romantically (or otherwise devoted) i never want to end the friendship part of it. even if we stop keeping up, they remain in my mind and i will think of them, as though they are there.

~ bonds between species (e.g. humans and pets) are examples of soc instinct
    i'm incredibly interested in other species and finding the "person" inside of an individual i meet of another species. it's the most fascinating sort of "digging" for me. i long to connect with that which is "alien" and so i will search a lot. i'm fascinated by just about every animal i meet. i don't really grow bored of this. i want to read their minds and their hearts (their "souls"). i want to understand. i want to answer questions about what unites and separates "us." it's a deep well with no bottom.

~ one way of looking at all the major spiritual teachings are as an expansion of the soc instinct; ultimately, including all life within the soc instinct's movement toward win-win
    i'm really fond of win-wins and naturally look for that kind of solution. i can compromise rather well, although this is largely because i don't really know what i want most of the time. it's so difficult for me to make a decision sometimes that a compromise actually allows for an actual decision and course of action. so it's actually pretty selfish in a way. but i also know that there are so many ways to solve every problem, and i'm good at thinking of all the ways (which contributes to my difficulty making decisions), and so there are ways to solve a problem that benefit all parties more often than not. and that's rather ideal, and makes everything else easier (the consequences).

SOC areas:

~ reading people and adapting behavior
    i am fairly adept (i think) at reading people if i actually try to. usually i'm so self-absorbed i don't notice others. but if i pay attention, i'm a good reader. i also do readily adapt my behavior without really trying or thinking about it. (not knowing what i even want makes it fairly easy. however, i also do it when i know that it's not what i want in work situations because i feel i have no power and no choice. and that hurts a lot--having to adapt against my own nature.)

➙ sp wants other stuff to adapt to the self; soc is willing to adapt self in light of others' needs
    as an example, suppose you feel the room is too hot and you see a thermostat on the wall. sp just turns down the thermostat, but soc gauges others' temperature - if everyone else in the room is dressed lightly, soc does not turn down the thermostat.
    hmm. i actually don't really want either of these. i *hate* having to adapt my own nature and hurt myself for other's needs. i do it at work because i don't want to fall to living on the streets, which i wouldn't be able to survive. i don't value their needs generally and think most of them are pathetic wasteful self-entitled little shits. being higher up on a hierarchy does not earn my respect. i expect a real leader and think social hierarchies are stupid and often wrong. however, if i actually care about someone, it isn't difficult to sacrifice my small needs. i don't need a lot. i'm not high maintenance.

~ contribution and participation.
    ➙we're wired to contribute. regardless of stack, self-esteem suffers when we feel we have nothing to contribute or what we contribute isn't wanted or doesn't matter.
    ➙ valuing each others' contributions falls in the soc area as well.
    i hate participation and have always been rather contrary. nothing annoys me more than conformity.

When soc is the blind spot:
    ~ opportunities to be with others are seen in terms of "what will it cost me". Can be a feeling of not caring, of being excessively selfish.
    ~ talking to self, may be really talking to self even when ostensibly talking to others, interrupting
    ~ always a feeling of not having made one's contribution even when one actually is contributing[/I]
    bah. now i'm back to wanting so last in my stacking.

eta: wow, this is all quite hateful and ugly.
    Last edited by marooned; 09-14-2015 at 03:21 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    well, some of us are legitimate loners... probably a lot of us. i personally seem to change my stack depending on interpretations (mine) rather frequently.
    Like which sort of interpretations are so different ?

To me each of the instincts is a certain attitude and awareness, being rather clearly different from each other.

This is all internal so I do find it hard to type other people's stackings unless I do have a *lot* of experience about them that I can go by. Or deep interview, that - *if* it can be actually established, which is where the caveat is as well - always works

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

"Sp/Sx - Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to connect in a broader sense with the world, of a sense of security or in groups or of the need to seek it, or even of the need to foster approval, support, and understanding of themselves within groups they are connected with, often causing misunderstandings with allies, supporters, friends, and family members."

"Sx/Sp - Likely to neglect their desire to maintain physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle for the sake of their primary concern of seeking intense connections and experiences, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to connect in a broader sense with the world, of a sense of security or in groups or of the need to seek it, or even of the need to foster approval, support, and understanding of themselves within groups they are connected with, often causing misunderstandings with allies, supporters, friends, and family members."

"So/Sp - Likely to neglect their desire to maintain physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle for the sake of their primary concern of building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to stimulate the mind or emotions, of a sense of deep excitement or enthusiasm, of a need for intimate experiences, of the need for the unfamiliar. May fall into routines and, despite social connection, may feel a strange disconnection even from spouses, friends, and family."

"Sp/So - Likely to neglect their desire to build their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others for the sake of their primary concern of maintaining physical saftey, comfort, and an orderly lifestyle, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the need to stimulate the mind or emotions, of a sense of deep excitement or enthusiasm, of a need for intimate experiences, of the need for the unfamiliar. May fall into routines and, despite social connection, may feel a strange disconnection even from spouses, friends, and family."

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/200...-variants.html

SOCIAL

Primary concern:
    building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

Primary focus:
    the status, approval, and admirability of theirself and of others in the minds of any number of different groups; "subtle" power structures and politics; knowing what is going on in the world; a contextual intelligence that allows them to see both their efforts and their broader context in the world

Primary ambition:
    interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others; to touch base with others to feel safe, alive, and energized; may include pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, appreciation, and the security of being a part of something bigger than themselves

Primary stresses:
    being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided

:coping methods: (unhealthy)
    antisocial behavior, detesting or resenting society at large, displaying poorly developed social skills, fear and distrust of society, resentfulness at having had to change to gain approval causes a stubbornness against doing what is necessary to get along with people, social resentment and avoidance as is skewed by the secondary instinct

Last edited by Aylen; 09-15-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lim View Post
    i wonder for what purpose so-blindspot people use the so instinct if they (have) to use it. or what is important to consider another person a friend?
    It is 'used' to alleviate the draw of the primary instinct, ime, for example I like listening to neutral newscasts because they draw me out and shift my attention away from being vortexed in constant subjective emotional evaluations, and at least temporarily provide a feeling of being connected with what's happening out there external to my experiences. The even emotional energy of sx-lasts seems attractive and relaxing if only for a short while. Friendship considerations - that would be too subjective, but since the first instinct is used in evaluatory manner, the primary considerations would be something like how consonant you are with their internal emotional landscape to which sx-firsts are very tuned, and so on.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOCIAL

Primary concern:
    building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and a security of place with others via interaction with people in a broader sense (through family, group, subculture, mainstream culture, community, nation, world)

Primary focus:
    the status, approval, and admirability of theirself and of others in the minds of any number of different groups; "subtle" power structures and politics; knowing what is going on in the world; a contextual intelligence that allows them to see both their efforts and their broader context in the world

Primary ambition:
    interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others; to touch base with others to feel safe, alive, and energized; may include pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, appreciation, and the security of being a part of something bigger than themselves

Primary stresses:
    being able to adjust to others and be acceptable; others' reactions to them, whether they are being accepted or not; may include intimacy, which is tended to be avoided

:coping methods: (unhealthy)
    antisocial behavior, detesting or resenting society at large, displaying poorly developed social skills, fear and distrust of society, resentfulness at having had to change to gain approval causes a stubbornness against doing what is necessary to get along with people, social resentment and avoidance as is skewed by the secondary instinct

1. I read these and kinda feel bad for the people who are so fixated on the approval/disapproval of others. But then maybe they don't see it as necessarily a bad thing, and it does help them with being social warriors.

2. Some of the So description sounds like the Image types, how to differentiate?

3. One of the issues I have with enneagram type 6 descriptions is when half of it describes an So-6 as opposed to straight 6. Grrr. Any idea why the sites/describers keep doing that?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    1. I read these and kinda feel bad for the people who are so fixated on the approval/disapproval of others. But then maybe they don't see it as necessarily a bad thing, and it does help them with being social warriors.
    I don't think it is necessarily about "approval" per se (as in "please like what I do/who I am"), but rather an assessment of how and where on fits into a social context because those are constantly changing and shifting. For example, if you do work that is for the benefit of people, it can be difficult to assess its impact without feedback. So the feedback is appreciated because it helps to figure out how you and what you do affect social dynamics, not (only) because it strokes the ego. So firsts structure their lives around being part of a group, so they have to be concerned with how they fit in there.

I feel like so gets an unfortunate reputation of being a slave to social approval. You could flip and say it's sad not to care enough about the social context you yourself affect to give a damn about how people are affected by it (because you don't care about their feedback).

I am speaking in general terms, your post was just a starting point.
    Last edited by Kim; 09-15-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post

2. Some of the So description sounds like the Image types, how to differentiate?

3. One of the issues I have with enneagram type 6 descriptions is when half of it describes an So-6 as opposed to straight 6. Grrr. Any idea why the sites/describers keep doing that?
    I don't feel bad for the social first people except those with social anxiety. They do a lot of things I am grateful for since I do not have to deal with it. Plus everyone has their place in society and without them there would have not been as much social change so quickly. You can tell that many of them thrive when they feel they are a part of something greater than themselves.

I think that is why my mom loved volunteering for her church so much, not to mention the recognition she got for it. She still has me pay her church dues even though she hasn't gone to church in years. I think she likes seeing her name in the newsletter but I have never asked her about it. I know she got upset with me for asking if I should skip it one year. I imagine it can be tricky to fully satisfy the instinct if you have anxiety and that is where it might look like antisocial behavior to others even when it isn't.

I found this article while thinking about your post and also a post in another thread. I guess a lot of stuff out there is kind of personal interpretations from various sites that didn't involve the process of observing, typing and categorizing other real people. I go with what actually feels right to me and some stuff seems so off. Probably 'cause I can't relate to it myself or other people whose instincts I am sure of.

I guess this might answer your question about why some of the general descriptions seem like they were written about a specific variant. I notice people are more inclined to write a description based on their own E type and instincts. I do it and I notice people can react to it if it doesn't align with what they believe. That is why I joke about making disclaimers now. I like to understand why someone sees things in a very different way from me and usually not afraid to ask if I feel they will make an effort to respond to questions.

What is your view of the Instinctual Variants

(or so-called “subtypes”)?

The idea of the three Instinctual Variants, or “subtypes,” came from Oscar Ichazo who named the 27 combinations of Enneagram types and Instincts, although there is an earlier basis for them in the teachings of Gurdjieff. According to Gurdjieff, the Instinctive (or “gut” center) was really a composite of three centers that he called “the instinctive center,” “the moving center,” and “the sexual center.” These correspond to Ichazo’s “self-preservation,” “social,” and “sexual” centers respectively. The idea here is that the personality is built on, and therefore tends to interfere most with, one of these three centers. We are currently studying the ways in which distortions of each of these centers effects the personality. There is a short discussion of the Instinctual Variants as we call them (because they are not truly “subtypes”—but rather, independent variables) in the new edition of Personality Types (1996), and much more in The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Bantam, 1999).

We feel that the basic idea of the Instinctual Variants is solid and significant, although most of the material that has been taught in this regard needs a great deal more study and clarification. In our view, much of the short descriptions surrounding the Instinctual Variants has been muddled, and the titles traditionally used with them have often been misleading. Further, there is a lack of equity in the descriptions of the Variants: some are presented as much more neurotic than others, and this is not the case. In our language, there has been a lack of awareness of parity of Levels of Development.

We feel that when the three Variants are properly understood in their own right—without reference to Enneagram type—then the way in which type affects the Variants becomes more clear and compelling. Too often people try first to understand the Instincts in their mixture with Enneagram types. Others have used Ichazo’s nicknames for the 27 combinations of Enneagram type and Instincts and tried to make them “fit” with what they know of the types. While some of these names are illuminating, others are less so. For example, the term for the Social Seven, “The Defender,” and for the Sexual Four, “Reckless, Dauntless” are misleading and have even led to mistyping. We have found it more useful to apply the type’s passion to the Instinct, ponder the connections, and then ask people about their experience. For instance, what does envy in self-preservation look like? What does gluttony in the Social Instinct look like, and what would that have to do with being a “defender”?

Nevertheless, we can discern significant differences within the same type that are caused by the personality’s predilection for a particular Variant over the other two. We feel that the Instinctual Variants are especially significant with regard to relationship issues. We might also add that, in our view, people have all three Instincts operative: one Instinct is uppermost and we tend to rely on it excessively. A second also makes its influence felt, and the third Instinct is least developed and creates “blind spots” in our personality. Ultimately, many factors—wings, Levels of Development, acting out in stress and security, Integration and Disintegration—and more—are crucial for a complete understanding of our personality structures and hence, for giving us the tools to do our Inner Work.

Self Preservation: The focus here is easy to understand from the name. People of this Instinctual type are preoccupied with basic survival needs as they translate in our contemporary society. Thus, Self-Preservation types are concerned with money, food, housing, health, physical safety and comfort. Being safe and physically comfortable are priorities. These people are quick to notice any problems in a room such as poor lighting or uncomfortable chairs, or to be dissatisfied with the room temperature. They often have issues connected with food and drink, either overdoing it or having strict dietary requirements. In the healthy to average Levels, of the three Instinctual types, they are the most practical in the sense of taking care of basic life necessities—paying bills, maintaining the home and workplace, acquiring useful skills, and so forth. When these types deteriorate, they tend to distort the instinct to the degree that they are poor at taking care of themselves. Unhealthy Self-Preservation types eat and sleep poorly or become obsessed with health issues. They often have difficulty handling money and may act out in deliberately self-destructive ways. In a nutshell, Self-Preservation types are focused on enhancing their personal security and physical comfort.

Social: This subtype is focused on their interactions with other people and with the sense of value or esteem they derive from their participation in collective activities. These include work, family, hobbies, clubs—basically any arena in which Social types can interact with others for some shared purpose. The instinct underlying this behavior was an important one in human survival. Human beings on their own are rather weak, vulnerable creatures, and easily fall prey to a frequently hostile environment. By learning to live and work together, our ancestors created the safety necessary for human beings not only to survive, but to thrive. Within that social instinct, however, are many other implicit imperatives, and primary among them is the understanding of “place” within a hierarchical social structure. This is as true for dogs and gorillas as it is for human beings. Thus, the desire for attention, recognition, honor, success, fame, leadership, appreciation, and the safety of belonging can all be seen as manifestations of the Social instinct. Social types like to know what is going on around them, and want to make some kind of contribution to the human enterprise. There is often an interest in the events and activities of one’s own culture, or sometimes, of another culture. In general, Social types enjoy interacting with people, but they avoid intimacy. In their imbalanced, unhealthy forms, these types can become profoundly antisocial, detesting people and resenting their society, or having poorly developed social skills. In a nutshell, Social types are focused on interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of “place” with others.

Sexual: Many people originally identify themselves as this type, perhaps confusing the idea of a Sexual Instinctual type with being a “sexy” person. Of course, “sexiness” is in the eye of the beholder, and there are plenty of “sexy” people in all three of the Instinctual types. Furthermore, lest one think this type more “glamorous” than the other two, one would do well to remember that the instinct can become distorted in the type, leading to the area of life causing the greatest problems. In healthy to average Sexual types, there is a desire for intensity of experience—not just sexual experience, but having a similar “charge.” This intensity could be found in a great conversation or an exciting movie. Much has been said about this type preferring “one-on-one” relationships versus the Social type’s preference for “larger groups,” but a quick poll of one’s acquaintances will reveal that almost all people prefer communicating one on one than in a group. The question is more one of the intensity of contact, and the strength of the desire for intimacy. Sexual types are the “intimacy junkies” of the Instinctual types, often neglecting pressing obligations or even basic “maintenance” if they are swept up in someone or something that has captivated them. This gives a wide-ranging, exploratory approach to life, but also a lack of focus on one’s own priorities. In their neurotic forms, this type can manifest with a wandering lack of focus, sexual promiscuity and acting out, or just the opposite, in a fearful, dysfunctional attitude toward sex and intimacy. Sexual types, however, will be intense, even about their avoidances. In a nutshell, Sexual types are focused on having intense, intimate interactions and experiences with others and with the environment to give them a powerful sense of “aliveness.”

- See more at: https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/e....FGdgdurW.dpuf

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't think it is necessarily about "approval" per se (as in "please like what I do/who I am"), but rather an assessment of how and where on fits into a social context because those are constantly changing and shifting. For example, if you do work that is for the benefit of people, it can be difficult to assess its impact without feedback. So the feedback is appreciated because it helps to figure out how it affects social dynamics, not (only) because it strokes the ego. So firsts structure their lives around being part of a group, so they have to be concerned with how they fit in there.
    That makes sense.

I feel like so gets an unfortunate reputation of being a slave to social approval. You could flip and say it's sad not to care enough about the social context you yourself affect to give a damn of how people are affected by it (because you don't care about their feedback).
    I'm sure So-people feel a similar way to me when I read comments by Sp-lasts about Sp, heh. The thought of...'but that's part of what I LIKE about it!'
    Funnily when Sx lasts comment about Sx I've more of a nod of agreement that yeah, it's a pretty intense stacking which brings a host of problems on its own.

[edited to add: i think approval/disapproval might have been the wrong phrase for me to use in the previous post, I wasn't imagining the seeking of approval. I had actually imagined So it to be more like a sensitivity to when others disapprove, and maybe a sense of self-satisfaction when others happen to voice approval. Like, I just had a conversation with my mom. She mentioned that she stopped reading my facebook newsfeed because some of my posts made her upset. I'm pretty sure those would be the posts in support of same-sex marriage and criticisms of using religion to make it illegal. She's a very religious person, and her religion put in millions of dollars to prevent legalizing same-sex marriage. Anyways, the example is that she'd be sensitive to the criticisms and disapprovals in my posts, even if not directed straight at her, while for me, I was able to shrug off her disapproval of my posts. I didn't intend to hurt her, but I'm not going to alter myself to suit other people's feelings/wants/expectations of me, even from those I love.]
    Last edited by anndelise; 09-15-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Hopefully the last edit.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've went on about myself more. i know that some people reading this will think these responses match so-first and other will think so-last, or even so-second...

SO dominant or secondary - being included is important, focus on finding one's place in the world, neglect of other things in favor of group contributions (e.g. a workaholic), need to be plugged into something, danger of being overly accommodating. On the high side, social subtypes are the most likely to sacrifice their narrow interests in service of that which is larger than themselves.
    One thing that might apply to me in this is the danger of being overly accommodating, which really only happens at work because it’s an unspoken job requirement that I be accommodating, and I never know exactly how accommodating or not accommodating I’m expected to be, but generally feel most people are somewhat displeased with my “socialness.” I honestly struggle in the realm of interpersonal interaction, and my focus/talents just have never been in this area. This is why I need to basically change my job situation. For years I could be okay by zoning out in my own world, but my current job and other changes have led me to stop doing this (in fact, to not be *able* to do this). It’s mainly that I’ve decided to stop ignoring the outside world entirely in favor of living in my own because I’m not progressing, and somehow all of my fantasies have finished playing out at the same time. I mainly need to be allowed to be myself, and most simple jobs don’t let me be myself. I’m tired of it at this point. I’m tired of the social expectations of others. You could say this is so-first due to an intense awareness of expectations, or you could say it is so-last due to not ever really being able to figure out the complex ins and outs of those expectations (only that interpersonal interaction is a messy puzzle that I can never solve and really have no interest in solving, but that i'm paranoid about because i don't actually "get it"). I’m also referring only to artificial work environments in this—work relationships are seldom “real” relationships, though it seems some people at work seem to think they are, going on in their artificial ways.

I’ve never really needed to be included (and I’m counting my childhood in this too), and I’m far too lazy to fall into a workaholic pattern. If I am intensely interested in something, I suppose maybe there’s a slight possibility because I enjoy solving mysteries, and sometimes I don’t want to stop until I have. If I can get enough momentum going I might keep going because it’s exhilarating and I love intense stimulation. But somehow I still don’t think I could ever become a workaholic. Surely the pattern would have emerged by now. I don’t like sacrificing my interests, which is one of my issues with jobs I’ve been in. Part of not being allowed to be myself involves not being allowed to pursue my own interests and agenda.

They extend themselves toward others and often have a sort of generosity with their time and energy.
    I’m really stingy with my time and energy, and I’ve been growing more so over the years. I can easily fill my solitary time and I’m happy to spend *all* my time that way in introvert activities.

On the down side however, social subtypes are the most prone to feelings of social shame; as they are the most acutely aware of the opinions of others, they suffer the most when they feel a sense of social rejection. In less balanced personalities, this can lead to a need to conform to the standards of the group in order to achieve acceptance. Social subtypes can sometimes fail to focus on the needs of the self as they are searching for their identity in terms of the larger whole.
    I experience a lot of shame, but it’s not necessarily social shame. It’s personal and based on my own ideas of my identity and what I accept/don’t accept as well as my ideal and the things I dislike. I’ve been this way most of my life. It’s a slow process of trying to build an identity that is both mine and that I actually like and that fits my ideals (although, ahem, my ideals shift around a lot too... really it's like chasing your own tail). I do, however, compare myself to others and will notice pieces of other’s personality that I envy. That said, if someone I'm close to rejects me for my flaws, confirming the horror I already see there, I will feel intensely ashamed. You can also morally/ethically shame me, which is perhaps the only constructive shame here, as I'll be likely to try to improve after that (assuming I agree).

SO-firsts want to know what’s going on with other people as a way to uncover the hierarchy - talk is currency, discourse and gossip are welcome. Exploring - Are we on the same team? Who can I trust? Healthy expression—how can this help everyone? Unhealthy expression—what’s in it for me? Is this worth my while?
    I do think about who I can trust on a personal level. Often people overly focused on “the hierarchy” are people I feel I can’t trust, especially when they really like the hierarchy and are all about their “social status.” It’s kind of hypocritical because I do have my own inner sense of elitism or wanting to be special/unique (a shining star) and that kind of attitude can contribute to social status. But for me, it’s not really about social status. I wish for independence from social systems, or rather for loose social systems that take a back seat to individual self-expression, desire, and pursuits. This is why I think the corporate world is often the killer of people’s souls—seeking uniformity, conformity, and boringness.

SO blind spot - finds it hard to concern self with another’s agenda, dismissive. When the social instinct is least developed, the individual is going to find it difficult to see why it is important to form social connections or to cultivate multiple relationships. This, in turn, can lead to a certain amount of social isolation. As we all must find a niche in the larger whole, those whose social instinct is least developed, can find it difficult to negotiate the needs of the social realm which make this possible. They may feel that connecting socially will cost them something and consider interactions to be draining. They may find interdependence difficult and dependence on others barely tolerable, and thus attempt to attain a type of independence and self-sufficiency which is not possible for human beings. This “false independence” can lead to unnecessary suffering and impoverishment of experience. They would rather act as a lone force, lone wolves, I'm-on-my-own attitude, feeling that they don't need others and others don't need them. Fear of being emotionally crippled, being unable to connect with many people, self-conscious of being socially ungracious. It’s hard to take in the gifts and generosity of others. Projected fear - if I ignore others, they will ignore me. There’s an expectation of humiliation. A desire not to impose self on people in fear of not being wanted or being klutzy.
    most of this applies to me quite a lot, *except* in really close relationships where I kind of like to merge my agenda…

soc/sx
    Motivation: to create lasting connections with those they are interested in - the "best friend." This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is [/b]usually uncomfortable in group settings.[/b] They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant. They are often attuned to pop culture and the latest trends.
    I can’t help but think this misses the mark. If I’m really close to someone, no matter how long apart, they remain in my mind as an intense presence. My issue is that I’ll want more actual contact when it may not be available. This will cause me suffering, but also their presence in my mind is something I actually kind of enjoy, so it’s strange. If they feel the same as me, then this probably wouldn’t cause terrible suffering to me. It’s when they do not, that it becomes really terrible to deal with. I guess there are really two things here:

1. Intimate relationships/close family/really close friends (usually romantic feelings were involved before). I don’t really have too many issues maintaining *these* relationships. They are the gold of existence.

2. People who were close friends and moved away. These are the relationships I completely fail to maintain. I still think of these people often though. But I just don’t really have the energy to work on relationships where we don’t even live in the same place.

1 & 2 account for all of my relationships—I have very few. I also am not active in trying to get more relationships. Most of mine were started by the other person, or arrived out of circumstance. There is only one that I made efforts to start because of my feeling of that person being someone I already knew, and needed to connect with again.

• Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
    • Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
    • Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
    • Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
    • Blind spot: Likely to neglect their desire to seek intense connections and experiences for the sake of their primary concern of building their sense of personal value, accomplishment, and security of place with others, in average-healthy levels. May not have an awareness of the body's need for food or sleep, or of the need to accumulate wealth for reasons of security, or of the need to manage time or resources to establish an orderly lifestyle.
    this is all very off. For one I’m not a bright, smiley, intense expression person. This who thing is describing someone quite different from me. I also don’t see any point at all in using relationships with others to “improve my position.” It seems alien and ridiculous. And I’ve met people who do this (despite my somewhat hateful sounding words, I’m thinking of people I liked), I’ve seen it in action, and I know it isn’t me. I think so/sx needs to be ruled out for me *if* this description is actually, um, what it is.

soc/sp
    Motivation: to attain status within their chosen sphere - the "social climber."
    This type is often the most comfortable in group settings, but tends to be a bit formal and awkward in one to one relations. This is the natural political type, affiliating themselves with groups or theories which best defend their social and material interests. They may lack warmth and individual identity and this could lead to problems in forming meaningful relationships outside of a shared social interest. They know what they like, but often find it difficult to get deeply excited or enthusiastic about anything.
    oh dear. Another massive miss. I’m not going to bother addressing the rest of this. I’ve met people who do this too and noted our differences.

sp/soc
    Motivation: to attain a position of material and societal security.
    I think perhaps my “motivation” is to attain independence where I can pursue my interests, identity and self-expression in peace. However there *is* in fact a “social piece,” that being my interest in other species and my concern for the future of life. There is a part of me that longs to actually be doing something I care about. The only way to accomplish this is if that something also is something I’m interested in, where I can be myself on my terms. It’s the ideal of human freedom.

This type is generally private and reserved, and especially serious and practical minded in their focus to gain material security and in making useful connections that support their goals. When they do form a connection, loyalty is very important to them and they will not hesitate to end a relationship on grounds of disloyalty.
    I haven’t been able to form/use connections to support my goals and I’ve noticed some people are particularly good at that. I also have created a rather unsecure life for myself in a lot of ways… the only security I’ve managed in my personal life is solitude and well, not starving on the streets.

This type may lack a certain degree of interpersonal warmth which can give the impression of coldness or disinterest in others, even a sense of selfishness.
    I’m warm and affectionate with people I’m close to, and animals. Everyone else, I’m more cold and distant.

May be drawn to groups that attract like minded individuals, as in business clubs or volunteer organizations where a shared professional culture can facilitate social bonds. They tend to live conservatively and dress in an inconspicuously appropriate fashion befitting their status in life. May have a characteristically blunt and direct style of communication that can take others some getting used to.

They are particularly strong in matters of commitment and sacrifice, and enjoy being the benefactors in assisting society's practical needs.
    well, not really. Once again, I’m lazy. My self-sacrificing streak comes out in romantic relationships the most. Otherwise, I’m selfish. You’re not going to ever find me being an energized advocate for something who keeps pushing and pushing and pushing. I can manage a few forum posts, but actually *living* this way would be exhausting. I’ve ended up in service jobs due to being bad at dealing with the job world, and I don’t feel motivated at all in them. I’m just exhausted all the time and want to drown myself. Also this *isn’t* antisocial. Everyone has the right really, imo, to be themselves and pursue their interests (why would this not be something everyone would want?). My failing is making my lifestyle into one that easily allowed for that, something which I will hopefully start fixing. One reason I was able to do this for so long is because I can maintain a strong fantasy world in my mind—the place where I *really* live. But it’s come to a crossroads, where it’s not working for me anymore.

sigh. one thing that is true of me is seeking independence from social requirements and expectations to pursue my own agenda. this is usually part of sp/sx. if you fail to gain independence does that make you sp/so? if you are aware of social pressures trying to mold you into something you're not, does that make you sp/so?

@Myst, well, using the social instinct as an example... there are often several things that seem to be involved.

do you have an interest (even a passing one) in certain social issues? if so, social first!
    do you have an awareness of certain social issues? if so, social first!
    do you not use social networking? if not, social last! (unless of course you are "unhealthy," then social first!)
    do you feel put upon by others and find interactions draining in social situations? (if so, social last, unless of course "unhealthy," then social first!)
    do you like animals and other lifeforms? if so, social first!

mainly (and i know this is quite simplified and exaggerated), you can in fact find a way to fit anyone into social last or social first, depending on how you decide to juggle the myriad considerations, which is probably more based on your inner sense which may well be drawing off of your own ego and biases. (not you in particular, @Myst)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mainly (and i know this is quite simplified and exaggerated), you can in fact find a way to fit anyone into social last or social first, depending on how you decide to juggle the myriad considerations, which is probably more based on your inner sense which may well be drawing off of your own ego and biases.
    Agreed. Sometimes I see typings based off of even the slightest hint of an instinct then that must mean that instinct is in higher position. Worse is when there,s so much evidence for the other two, but someone's bias is showing in their typing of someone else.

I guess, for me, I sort of see them as every person deals with these three instincts, some more than others. But if push came to shove and an instinct came into conflict with another one, which onewould take higher priority? Which drive would be stronger?
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

i've went on about myself more. i know that some people reading this will think these responses match so-first and other will think so-last, or even so-second...
    I didn't notice your so/sx in TIM until this thread. I thought you were sp/sx 945.

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't notice your so/sx in TIM until this thread. I thought you were sp/sx 945.
    oh i may be going back to sp/sx very soon... i just haven't switched it yet.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Seems soc-last alright to me.

sigh. one thing that is true of me is seeking independence from social requirements and expectations to pursue my own agenda. this is usually part of sp/sx. if you fail to gain independence does that make you sp/so? if you are aware of social pressures trying to mold you into something you're not, does that make you sp/so?

No.

@Myst, well, using the social instinct as an example... there are often several things that seem to be involved.

do you have an interest (even a passing one) in certain social issues? if so, social first!
    do you have an awareness of certain social issues? if so, social first!
    do you not use social networking? if not, social last! (unless of course you are "unhealthy," then social first!)
    do you feel put upon by others and find interactions draining in social situations? (if so, social last, unless of course "unhealthy," then social first!)
    do you like animals and other lifeforms? if so, social first!
    1. Not on my own, other people can draw me into it a bit for a short time with their enthusiasm. I still feel a bit removed and essentially an outsider though even then. The enthusiasm I can take on if the person is important to me, as for the belief in the social issue, I can perhaps consider it too, if it makes sense to me, otoh, deep interest in the social issue *on its own* - nope, will not work. Only if it aligns with other things, some of which I've listed here.
    2. Not on its own merit. If it affects me that's when I will get aware of something.
    3. No I don't.
    4. 1) Yes 2) For a short while the process of the interacting is energizing for the sake of the energy exchange itself then it starts to be draining if it goes on while I figure out that I do not find the person interesting enough. If they remain interesting then good
    5. Not particularly.

I've always been like this my whole life independently of how healthy I was in periods of my life so I find it's much more sensible to assume soc-last instead of a constantly deeply unhealthy soc-first.

Now, the variations on instinct definitions to me seem fine, not too conflicting, where I find it becomes a problem is when people try to correlate them with subjective vibes. That's where it all goes terribly wrong. This is true of enneatypes and sociotypes and information elements as well. The only time I -still tentatively- consider vibes is when it matches an entire known stacking & enneatype tritype & sociotype, all together. And the vibe I get then can still be conflated with factors that lie outside these theories. (The same issue with VI.)

mainly (and i know this is quite simplified and exaggerated), you can in fact find a way to fit anyone into social last or social first, depending on how you decide to juggle the myriad considerations, which is probably more based on your inner sense which may well be drawing off of your own ego and biases. (not you in particular, @Myst)
    Nope, if you can actually find a way to do it then you've entered the land of intellectually dishonest non-falsifiable theorizing.
    Last edited by Myst; 09-17-2015 at 05:26 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't think it is necessarily about "approval" per se (as in "please like what I do/who I am"), but rather an assessment of how and where on fits into a social context because those are constantly changing and shifting. For example, if you do work that is for the benefit of people, it can be difficult to assess its impact without feedback. So the feedback is appreciated because it helps to figure out how you and what you do affect social dynamics, not (only) because it strokes the ego. So firsts structure their lives around being part of a group, so they have to be concerned with how they fit in there.

I feel like so gets an unfortunate reputation of being a slave to social approval. You could flip and say it's sad not to care enough about the social context you yourself affect to give a damn about how people are affected by it (because you don't care about their feedback).

I am speaking in general terms, your post was just a starting point.
    I like that distinction you made between plain social approval seeking and nuanced assessment of social factors.

I don't see why any instinct needs to get a bad reputation, tho', I agree you could totally flip it, I've been told that so many times, about not caring about the social context, and it was of course given as negative feedback, not positive.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has all been incredibly, incredibly interesting to read. Yay me for making this thread. I definitely understand so-lasts more now -- I find it absolutely hilarious how someone mentioned not having facebook and not liking animals (more so the idea of pets) as being indicative of so-last. It's so true! I know an sp/sx and an sx/sp and they are both the same in that regard.

I have been wondering if I am not actually so/sx vs sx/so lately. At my healthiest (currently) psychologically, I tend to branch out a LOT into groups, into gaining a position of repute, power, influence, etc. But then again, I am doing this because I am secure sx-wise (deep relationships are much more important to me overall than larger groups)

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Sometimes I feel I was more like an sx/so when I was younger but then again I never had a good grasp on social dynamics or how to bring about any kind of social change or awareness. I rebelled against restrictions on my personal freedom more than anything and that was the source of most of my conflicts with authority.
    To this day I have very little awareness of politics or even what the current issues are. I know nothing about what is going on with celebrities, or who is getting with who. or who broke up. It is not that I don't like hearing about some of this stuff now and then but I do not seek it out on my own. People with so first or so second are really helpful with this stuff. They can also keep me current on fashion which I do like, especially shoes. Music is something I do keep pretty current with but I love a lot of older stuff like from the 90s.

Even when part of a group I feel like it is "the group" and I am on the periphery of it. I will make a couple good friends but never feel really a part of the group as a whole but I am actually fine with that. I like to see myself as an observer and it gives me a broader perspective. It was in my very early 20s, when I lived in NYC, where I met friends who were very socially aware and cultured. They told me how to make changes in how I spoke and acted around others so I didn't come off as uneducated and trashy. It hurt at the time but I also took it to heart. They knew I was intelligent but said I didn't present myself that way. That really shocked me into paying attention to how I was presenting myself but I have been very self-conscious since then. Always questioning how I am coming off to others.

I often think that anything I post will be misunderstood and I find myself deleting a lot of things. I have been here for awhile now but I still feel like a lot of you are "the group" and I am just some outsider who posts random things that have meaning to me but others think they are irrelevant or innapropriate. I will sometimes feel very connected to someone's posts and want to say, "me too!" but with some people I stop myself before responding and will just "like" their post instead. It is easier since responding can lead to discussions and I am not always sure if I want to have a full discussion in public.

It doesn't matter how many friend invites I get on FB because I always feel people there just add me by reputation and know nothing about me. I can tell when I offend someone because it is usually right after a post I make where I express myself without restriction that they remove me.

The friend's list here is a bit different than there though. I don't add a lot of people but when I do it is because I enjoy reading their posts. It just so happens that when someone here adds me, it is also someone who's posts I enjoy reading, so it works out. In that way it is different than FB.

YWIMW

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will sometimes feel very connected to someone's posts and want to say, "me too!" but with some people I stop myself before responding and will just "like" their post instead. It is easier since responding can lead to discussions and I am not always sure if I want to have a full discussion in public.
    Me too, heh. I actually find a lot of your enneagram posts relate-able in that way.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I just really don't care what other people do or how I relate to them on the ground-level, in the end. Certain things are completely absent from my perspective because I just don't participate in the social moving and bending type of stuff. It's a pain in the ass and I don't care.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well for what it's worth Aylen AND Squark - I resonate with both of you. Come be part of MY group

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

@Aylen I relate to so much of your post there. Tho' I doubt you were ever sx/so

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    @Aylen I relate to so much of your post there. Tho' I doubt you were ever sx/so

I don't think I am sx/so either. I had an insight while mixing up my nootropics today. I think my Fe can come off as social but that wasn't the insight. In enneagram I can identify with 459 more than any other tritype and in that order.

The 4 is my core type and sexual is my first instinct. I have asked people, who know me irl, and all of them agree with this. I have read some sx/so stuff that fit too but it felt lacking.

I feel my self-pres is in my 5 and my social is in my 9. They all work together and when I am overwhelmed in areas that sx 4 tend to focus on, I can shift right into 5 and focus only on my own solitary and "intellectual" pursuits and being left alone. I can become like a sp/sx 5 for a period of time. It is a coping mechanism.

When I am coming out of, I'll call it 5 sp mode, I go into so/sx/so 9 for a VERY brief period before returning to my usual 4 sx/sp way of expression. It is a cycle I have noticed but never put a label on before. This feels right for now but I may change my mind if there are further developments.

Instincts – Self Preservation, Social, Sexual.These three instincts are built into our bestial nature, which resides at an unconscious level helping to ensure our survival, both of ourselves and our species. From the perspective of the enneagram, we want to know how these drives appear and function, both within personality and as distinct patterns, as defined by each instinct alone or the alignment of two or three (stacking).

Sexuals attract others without really trying. They also repel others in the same way, like an anti-pheromone. This works like a screening function in the mating process. People typically have a strong reaction one way or another towards Sx’s, and vice versa.

Self Pres people instinctively avoid certain foods and environments, and are likewise drawn to those things that nourish and sustain them. Sp’s have a strong reaction against things that threaten to harm their comfort or health.

Social is driven towards gaining protection and empowerment within larger entities.
    Soc’s typically react strongly against things which would jeopardize or displace their position or reputation.
    The instinct is always trying to work for our survival, whether we know it or not. Personality can only get in the way. Animals, as more or less fully instinctual beings, don’t have this problem. But integrating our personality with instinct requires that each side of ourselves is fully aware of the other side. Otherwise we are automated, automatic, and on autopilot.

Sexual/Self-pres

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

Self-pres/Sexual

This subtype, like the self-pres/social, is more typical of the depictions of type Five. The self-preservational instinct accentuates the self-contained, withdrawing tendencies of the Five. Fives of this subtype love their time alone with a passion, and pursue it more actively even than the other subtype of self-pres Five, although with the sexual instinct second, they often want to find time for intimates as well. On the down side, they have more disdain for people and little use for the social aspects of life. They want to be left alone or they want to share their inner world with their intimates. The intensity of the sexual instinct is reserved for their intimates and even there it is sporadic. The self-pres energy gives this subtype a solid foundation and some degree of practicality.

These Fives are conflicted when it comes to experiencing and expressing emotions. They usually default to emotional repression and to detached intellectual analysis. This is a dynamic common to all Fives, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, the balance of these forces is pretty precarious and it seems as though the scales are being constantly adjusted one way or another. As the social instinct is the least developed, the social arena gets the drier more intellectual approach almost by default.

Social/Sexual

This subtype is “everyone’s friend.” The social/sexual energy combines with the Nine’s merging tendency and conflict avoidance to create a subtype that is very charming and uses humor quite extensively to engage with the people in their lives. On the down side, they can be frustrating because they can easily lose focus when it comes to their life priorities. With the self-pres instinct last in the stacking, they have a hard time tending to their own needs. They drift, and tend to use their charm to get a lot of their self-pres needs met by the people in their lives. When the Eight wing is dominant, they sometimes even develop a sense of entitlement, though they are just as likely to return help to those they charm into helping them.

In relationships, this subtype can suffer from some of the same problems as the other social subtype. They usually fall into a relationship in which the partner pushes them to “do more” with their lives. This can be positive for both parties, but often ends up causing resentment to build for both partners.

https://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/

Thanks, I think your post sparked the insight.

YWIMW

TIM
    Extrovert and Happy.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Hey you little so-lasts..

So I've been wondering.. just how little importance/value do you place on friendship groups/circles/organizations.. etc? What does being so-last truly look like/manifest in for you? I have a close friend who is sp/sx and it's almost terrifying to me how he genuinely doesn't need friendships outside of girls he dates.. He has zero interest in making same-sex friends because to him he doesn't see the point.. it's actually kind of repulsive to me because I don't relate to it at all.. We're really only good friends cause we used to date! LOL

I'm just wondering if this is also due to introversion and how an extraverted so-last would come across? How do you guys survive... hahaha
    Well... uhhhmm... it's hard to answer. It's one of those things anybody can copy, you know? You say you don't have facebook, you say you're shy and introverted, then you see other people already amping it up to claim they're outright autistic. It's something with the U.S. culture nowadays that I'd call the "exhaustion of the entertainment." You see it in indie music videos, you see it in the "lumberjack hipsters"... nobody is really owning up their extroversion, their sociality. And most of all, nobody takes online friendships, online socialization as de facto instances of being social!

I'm a 6 (too) so I do think one close friends circle is not enough. But I guess I have to admit being guilty about not really trying hard... or being picky... or I dunno. I just have these strong reactions when it comes to people. There are a few beautiful moments that I cherish in my memory. When I was in a state of flow with people, with a group out there on the green, playing. I actually had a social childhood and I really miss those moments. I've never wanted to be an outcast, a rebel, whatnot. I've never wanted to be stuck-up, cold or snotty. I really want to find my people. People used to be heaven, we have pictures in the photo album with all the kids from the apartments invited to my birthday party. I remember us huddling together when watching a film or playing a video game on my first computer. It really was something. I don't know what's with these days. No more fire at the camp site. No more warmth, no more love. What has happened here, people?? Why does everyone have to be so damn special, so damn cynical?? On their smartphones all the time. Millenial asswipes.
    No, I want love, I want friends, I want safety... it's just that it's becoming harder and harder to imagine what it was like, how good it really was. I want the green, I want the laughter, I want the innocence and hope for the future.
    Except for impaired empathy, an ordinary guy who's looking for down-to-earth, loving, loyal friends and a geeky, warm, voluptuous girlfriend!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have zero respect for organizations and group culture. Like people who want to be part of the community and shit. Join the school board. Just dumb shit. It is also power seeking. It makes them feel important and they want to influence the community, which makes them my natural enemy.

I noticed a lot of people feel bigger in a group. I feel smaller. I feel it takes away from me. I want to be big and have room to fit my bigness. I swear that some people get off on being small. On being dissolved in the morass. They crave it. They jerk off that the universe is so big and we are insignificant. Think about that. They find joy in their insignificance. In their smallness. A bunch of small people do not add up to a great person.

I despise people who think they speak for anyone but them self. The arrogance to claim you speak for so many. Take the Me Too movement for example. The leader or founder is often cited as some authority figure on an issue that countless people have experienced. They anoint themselves as some kind of moral authority. These people become big through small people they stand on.
    "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it, and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12