Thread: Warp Drive

Creepy-theticalanti

Default .

Last edited by theticalanti; 02-29-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Today is an exciting time to be alive.

Computers, cell phones, airplanes, cameras, automobiles. All have been created in the past 200 years. Like all new things, each of these things was originally criticized, laughed at, and deemed "impossible". The Wright brothers in the early 1900s were told "if man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings." Still, these leaders in science refused to give up to the criticism, and they kept on devoting time to their ideas and inventions.

Today, NASA is attempting to create a warp drive for travel.

I know this may sound silly. Yes, an actual warp drive which bends space-time for the purpose of traveling faster than the speed of light.

But don't forget! The world we have today was unimaginable just 100 years ago. Just imagine, what would the world look like 100 years from now, in 2115? In this 'Age of Technology' that is dawning upon us?

In any event, 'Mysterious Universe' posted this article about Warp Drive just yesterday, 04/24/15:

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/0...-a-warp-drive/

Which ultimately concludes that NASA are going to try to recreate the Warp Drive effects in another test inside of a vaccuum, for further study.

Whether you are skeptical of the article or not, please discuss in this thread the possibilities of traveling at Warp Drive speed. (as fast as the speed of light)

Oh. Sounds interesting. I am sure it is. But I just cannot get all that excited about it, or contribute anything interesting to the discussion.

But I am excited that your post confirms to me why I was not seeing Ne in you when you first changed to ENTp (after I had accepted your own ESFj self-typing for you for so long). It is, as I had guessed, that I had been looking for my own type's brand of Ne in you and not seeing it - - That woudl be -Ne instead of your type's +Ne, as Gulenko explains here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/30-plus-minus-by-Victor-Gulenko
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this is cool. They've had the idea of using microwaves for propulsion for a while now though. They wanted to put stations in space that would convert solar energy to electrical and shoot microwaves towards a spacecraft, propelling it up out of the Earth's gravitational field, without having to rely on fuel.

But the warp drive thing, that's how all propulsion works. The matter in front is compressed, while the matter behind the craft expands. Equal and opposite reaction - this allows it to move. It's the same principle for lift in an aircraft, propulsion in a jet engine or even propeller blades. But uh, you don't travel faster than the maximum speed of light, you manipulate the spacetime, shrinking in the front of travel, expanding in the back. It's why Einstein talked about Length contraction in his relativity theory. As an object moves in a particular direction, it compresses the space in front of it, which also causes more resistance to movement. It's the reason why you'd need infinite energy to travel at the maximum speed of light. Or why a car or plane becomes less efficient when it increases speed, all other things being equal.

which, again the maximum speed of light is a relative measure. You only have a speed relative to some point. So even if you warp the space, you never measure anything moving faster than the maximum speed of light relative you; because if you did, you would both cease to exist to each other. The idea of the maximum speed of light is like saying there is a limit to how fast something can move before it disappears. It's the link between space and time and how they change with one another. Otherwise, you wouldn't be a part of it.

So yeah, the article makes no sense, but I guess it's the layman's way of saying it's theoretically possible to travel through space, quickly.

TIM
    IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to share that there seems to be a 'consciousness aspect' to superluminal travel, based on much of the entertaining work done by some of the UFO community.

In fact there is a consciousness element surrounding the UFO and ET subject in general; Einstein's spooky action, or quantum entanglement, my favorite speaker Terence McKenna had a interesting mythic/psychological bent to his view on the UFO .

Like, we can talk, about ideas that have an into more integral theory, such as 'Integral Theory' Ken Wilbur, where phenomenon arise and tetra-enact in four quadrants,

Thereby a reality is much more complex by shifting a focus to both transcend and include, constructive in a grand sense by orders of magnitude, as contrasted with making some kind of eidetic reduction;

NASA certainly raises some eyebrows here.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What I think about the article is that someone at NASA is missing Leonard Nimoy.

In the meantime I will focus on turning travelling to my next country into a reality rather than a theory, thank you.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard about it in the mainstream media...just these obscure news sites. The official Nasa site says

nothing.

Ever since the sound barrier was broken, people have turned their attention to how we can break the light speed barrier. But “Warp Drive” or any other term for faster-than-light travel still remains at the level of speculation.
    The bulk of scientific knowledge concludes that it’s impossible, especially when considering Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. There are certainly some credible concepts in scientific literature, however it’s too soon to know if they are viable.
    Science fiction writers have given us many images of interstellar travel, but traveling at the speed of light is simply imaginary at present.
    In the meantime, science moves forward. And while NASA is not pursuing interstellar flight, scientists here continue to advance ion propulsion for missions to deep space and beyond using solar electric power. This form of propulsion is the fastest and most efficient to date.
    There are many “absurd” theories that have become reality over the years of scientific research. But for the near future, warp drive remains a dream.
    If you would like to know more about the theories of interstellar flight, you should visit the Tau Zero Foundation. Marc Millis, a former NASA Glenn physicist, founded the organization to consider revolutionary advancements in propulsion.
    Past articles of warp drive found at this location have been archived.
    Nancy Smith Kilkenny, SGT Inc.
    NASA's Glenn Research Center

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of discoveries that change history happen suddenly and unexpectedly.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we will go to another planet and force our religion on to them, or we will try to enslave them. yuk.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am always in favor of anything futuristic... I'm pretty glad something like this can happen, even if it ultimately turns out to not work. There is value in working at something even if it doesn't come to fruition, just look at the period of WWII..we accomplish a lot when we dream, even if it's an evil dream designed to put weapons in action.