View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens/extraterrestrials exist?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll believe it when I see one

7 13.46%
  • I do believe in aliens

23 44.23%
  • I don't believe in aliens

2 3.85%
  • I think we have made contact with aliens, the government knows, and they aren't telling the public

7 13.46%
  • I've seen a UFO/alien

7 13.46%
  • The men in black told me I can't say anything

4 7.69%
  • I am an alien

14 26.92%
  • I think aliens could actually be gods, angels, demons in history

10 19.23%
  • Aliens could be responsible for missing link

3 5.77%
  • Aliens could be real/we haven't made contact and/or it's not intelligent

17 32.69%
  • Aliens have made contact/government isn't hiding anything

0 0%
  • Other

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe aliens exist

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not even know yet. I am trying to figure this out right now.

It is hard to decide what to believe, you know. I have been watching some videos when I have time about aliens and have also started reading some literature on the subject.

Once I have reached a conclusion I shall update yall with my thoughts.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jesus Speaks about Aliens:

Below are words of Jesus to one of my all-time favorite mystics. Apparently there are plenty of other worlds. Considering what Jesus says below, I will take on the assumption that the other worlds want little or nothing to do with us, except to watch in shock.

The following quote begins with Jesus' comment on a prophecy that is much speculated on, concerning the end times, which speaks of Babylon, and there have been many interpretations on what is meant by "Babylon". I believe Hal Lindsey's Late Great Planet Earth" said Babylon is New York City, for example:

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

"Maria, now I will take your hand to lead you to the most obscure point in John's book. The annotators of it have exhausted their capacity in many deductions to explain to themselves and to the multitudes who the 'great Babylon' is. With a human view, to which the jolts left by desired events or by events taking place were not unconnected, they have given the name of Babylon to many things.

"But how is it that they have never considered that the 'great Babylon' is the whole Earth? I would be a very small and limited God the Creator if I had created only the Earth as an inhabited world! With a beat of My will I have brought forth worlds upon worlds from nothing and cast them as luminous fine dust into the immensity of the firmament.

"The Earth, about which you are so proud and fierce, is nothing but one of the bits of fine dust rotating in unboundedness, and not the biggest one. It is certainly the most corrupt one, though. Lives upon lives are teeming in the millions of worlds which are the joy of your gaze on peaceful nights, and the perfection of God will appear to you when, with the intellectual sight of your spirits rejoined to God, you are able to see the wonders of those worlds.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

"A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to. But then I started looking at the evidence to debunk the claims and found everything that I thought was legit evidence not to be.

So although I like to think there is alien life somewhere in the universe, I'm doubtful we've ever come in direct contact with any.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no reason to not believe that life could exist somewhere else in our titanic universe. You must take in to account all possibilities. However, we probably have never had any contact with aliens, and I also doubt we ever will. The Universe is just too large of a space.

Side note: I am an alien.

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hacim View Post
    There is no reason to not believe that life could exist somewhere else in our titanic universe. You must take in to account all possibilities. However, we probably have never had any contact with aliens, and I also doubt we ever will. The Universe is just too large of a space.

Side note: I am an alien.

hiatus
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for me, of course. I am the exception.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to truly comprehend how other organic life can reach a point in evolution where they, like mankind, "discover" consciousness. Maybe in all likelihood its a rare phenomenon. In all that vastness, its difficult to truly understand the immensity of the universe.

I would lie with my back on my roof as a young boy, or on a cool summer trampoline. I would see the dark, naked horizons stretched out beyond my home that was situated on a plateau. There I would gaze up at the stars, loosing track of up and down, it would almost feel as if I was falling. No city lights touched my home as the closest town was over 100 km away. The starlight is just spectacular when you can see it as it was meant to be seen. To really see the night sky in its entirety you have to SEE it and feel, not THINK about it. There is both an intimacy and a loneliness I feel when star gazing. As a man now, I catch fewer moments where the daily world steps aside, where all mean egotism vanishes and I become nothing but pure wonder. The night sky is one place still that holds that sense of amazement for me as it did when I was a kid. Is there life out there? I like to believe so.

In our terrestrial view of things, the speed of light seems incredibly fast. But as soon as you view it against the vast distances of the universe, it's unfortunately very slow. This animation illustrates, in realtime, the journey of a photon of light emitted from the surface of the sun and traveling across a portion of the solar system, from a human perspective.
    I've taken liberties with certain things like the alignment of planets and asteroids, as well as ignoring the laws of relativity concerning what a photon actually "sees" or how time is experienced at the speed of light, but overall I've kept the size and distances of all the objects as accurate as possible. I also decided to end the animation just past Jupiter as I wanted to keep the running length below an hour.
    Last edited by wacey; 03-14-2015 at 05:17 AM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still on the fence with this one guys. Thinking about it too much really trips me out.

I just think that logically the universe is too big for there not to be other forms of life in distant places.
    There is just too much space for it to not have occurred more than once.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

given what is now known about how common planets are in our galaxy, and well, the universe, it seems highly unlikely that there aren't other worlds out there that support life... i rather suspect that once we have the means, we'll discover that life is just another common thing in the universe. so, yes, i think there are aliens.

has another species developed super advanced space travel and personally visited Earth? i find that a bit unlikely... even at the speed of light, distances in the universe are huge...

if i was a curious alien who just wanted to investigate the life on other worlds and i had advanced space travel, i'd send bots... preferably something small and harmless that the natives wouldn't notice that can send data back to me. if my society has advanced space travel, then we probably have nanotech and advanced... everything. maybe we could send small biotech.

so, do i think the earth may have been visited by alien technology, signals, whatever? sure, why not? i don't know how likely i think that is, but it seems more likely to me than the aliens coming here in physical form and managing to keep themselves a mysterious secret (or that the governments of the world are covering it up).

another thing to consider is how long the aliens have had to advance... the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. if that's a common age for planets in the milky way, then it could be that the other milky way aliens haven't advanced any further than we have. humans only came into existence about 200,000 years ago after all. only in last 100+ years have we really started coming up with more sophisticated technology.

i suppose the other question is, if there are aliens on other worlds that have developed advanced technology, why do they seem to be silent? shortly after humans developed the means, we started trying to send transmissions into space. where are the other primitive transmissions from other worlds? sending transmissions like radio waves into space seems like a n00b thing to do, so if there are other n00bs out there i'd expect similar from them.

ooh, but adding on, i do believe governments might have an interest in concealing alien transmissions from the public... although i don't think NASA would be for that, as supposedly one of NASA's values is sharing with public. and really, why bother to cover it up anyway? i don't really see an advantage.
    Last edited by marooned; 03-22-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys have been fed too much garbage by science fiction @ post above and similar

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, the show ancient aliens is so ridiculous. maybe i should go watch every episode for my own amusement. is there a mysterious cave drawing involving a circle and a stick figure? aliens. was a pharaoh unnaturally tall and obsessed with orion's belt? alien-hybrid. did humans innovate some impressive things here and there and build some massive structures indicating an obsession/interest in the stars? well, first of all, humans had to have help to build that stuff because ancient humans were so lost and unable to figure out how to do stuff, and anyone preoccupied with the stars is probably interested because their gods (the aliens) dropped by. are there bits of land the us government won't let us tread upon? it's because they're hiding aliens. (that's also why i don't let people visit me, they might find e.t. in the spare bedroom, and that i can't allow.)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. I think the entire idea assumes we know more than we do. Even so, it still interests me. I don't see anymore reason to believe in aliens contacting us than I do in interdimensional beings. Aleister Crowley and the stories associated with him are much more interesting.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    First we must establish if consciousness exists. If so, then we should establish if anything exists outside of consciousness, imo. Then only after establishing that both consciousness and things outside of consciousness do exist, we can then be positively sure that nothing exists.

Yes, there is a world that exists outside of a conscious observer. Logic illuminates this. Humans would not logically exists without a long process of evolution of organisms. Those organisms may or may not have had a consciousness like people do, yet they are there in the first place. To be there, they must exists, and have had to exists for a very very long time.

Other examples include the size of the universe, which is shown to be expanding (although no one yet knows how because dark matter can not be observed at this time). The universe is expanding as demonstrated by redshift and other methods of astronomy. Because the universe is expanding, and is logically doing so regardless of human's consciousness observing it, this means it is in fact real outside of observable reality.

If you are referring to the quantum mechanics trick, where photons become waves or particles depending on wether or not they are observed, then you would need to know that the conclusion of this experiment is not that there is no reality, that there is no particles and waves unless observed. The conclusion of that experiment simply shows that the observer changes the photon into a wave or particle when observed, not controlling wether it is real or not in the first place.

Other example include Shroedinger's Cat. Is the cat alive or dead, unless it can be observed to be either or, it remains either or. That experiment is just an exercise in the unknown. The reality is that the cat has either died or not. Human beings are only statistically about half correct when predicting the unknown. What the Cat shows people is not that the two realities exists simultaneously. The experiment only shows the limitations of human beings who can only make educated guess on one outcome over another. Educated guesses really are what is a defining feature of what separates man from animals, because people are so good at predicting the future. Our minds have evolved this far to be very good at prediction, because people can imagine a future. The cat shows the limits of the imagination, yet cannot at this time say something about the nature of reality.

Many ancient religions talk about consciousness existing and have many things to say about the matter. Buddhism is my favourite because it describes consciousness as being "the one". A combination of consequences, or seeds in a persons past, combined with traumatic events and perhaps supplemented with hallucinogenic drugs such as psilocybin, can help show a person the true nature of consciousness.

That's a whole another can of worms though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Foolish Virgin by Thomas Dixon:
    Death suddenly and noiselessly appearing from the darkness could not have been more uncanny. He had wondered vaguely while the quarrel with his wife was progressing, what had become of his mother. As the fight had reached its height, he had forgotten her.
    She looked at him, blinking her eyes and trying to smile.
    "Where the devil have you been, old gal?" he asked nervously.
    "Nowhere,"she answered evasively.
    "You've been mighty quiet on the trip anyhow. I see you've brought something back from nowhere."

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya well, I don't see you trying to say much of anything either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is actually directed at the OP question. Ironically.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rust View Post
    That is actually directed at the OP question. Ironically.
    Where is the irony?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2:24 : WHHHAT? AN INTERFERENCE PATTERN!

hehe

TIM
    ILI-NI / LII-?
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing what we know about the universe, It would seem extremely possible that there is other forms of life out there somewhere, be it a single cell organism or something more complex. Due to the amount of planets we know fall within the 'sweet-spot' from their sun. And if you are inclined to agree with multi-verse theory, then you already believe in them to an extent. I'm pretty sure those tiny creatures referred to as 'water-bears' or Tardigrades, are actually not originally from 'earth'.. well, it's quite plausible that they aren't.
    Take all these strings
    They call my veins
    Wrap them around
    Every fucking thing

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Bump. I started a new thread for this concept, but as of at least yesterday, 04/24/15, NASA is experimenting with creating the effects of an actual Warp Drive - bending space/time to travel at the speed of light. I started a thread about it here: Warp Drive. I wanted to bump this thread about aliens too, because if we can actually create Warp Drive in the near future, perhaps exploring distant planets and universes will be much closer than we actually think. Maybe not something 'hundreds of years from now', but maybe something we can observe in our lifetimes.
    Dude, has a true (not compensatory) antigravity principle been discovered and used so far? Nope. Time machine? Nope. They seemed so close in those moments of sci exaltation - Einstein's era, the 60s, the 80s. Same with warp travel, it may simply be an imaginary possibility. A unicorn. The issue may be as pointless to wank about as the perspective of having some Mary Rose loot burried under my house.

Technology often evolves the way some of us expected, if the political and economical context allows. Just in this case (technology), humans find workarounds to abstract issues. But when we talk about fundamental principles, the laws of nature, I'd say: get the hell down to *real* physics to find out whether such possibilities are real, or whether our current models are flawed, before taking wormholes for granted and think as far as using those principles to find aliens in a short time.

And fuck NASA. In my opinion they release loads of half-scientific entertainment bullshit to get financed for issues you would probably not give a shit about, if you agreed with in the first place. Go study physics yourself and become a scientist. And don't let purposes corrupt your directions, sometimes the untravelled areas are only way we can move forward through. At the end of the day, wishful thinking is of no use, anyway.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post

Would be so amazing though, to encounter another species that is conscious of its own consciousness and reaches out across the empty universe to find other life.
    I think I had lunch with a guy in this category last Thursday. Might have been an ESTP.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Sorry to burst your pessimist bubble, but the *real* physics does indeed say warp drive is a real possibility. I'm not going to waste time to explain anything to you, as I posted links in my Warp Drive thread already. You can look them up if you want, if you're able to wrap your brain around the idea and change your thinking. Or you can continue to be pessimist and stubborn in your views. Your choice.

And you're simply incorrect to say 'wishful thinking is of no use'. You've fallen into one of the pessimist cycles that doesn't see or understand how our world can change, especially over 50-60 years. You have to have wishful thinking to see and envision and DESIGN your future, even before nobody else sees it.
    I'm with you on most of this, but it is good to keep in mind that there are two classes of impossible things.

The first is the class of things that really are impossible, like violating the laws of Statistical Mechanics, now mostly known as Thermodynamics. When Einstein looked at the foundations of Thermodynamics, he said that his own theory of Relativity will most likely be superseded, but Statistical Mechanics will never fall.

The second category is the class of things that are not impossible, but are simply very unlikely. This class contains things like "A Million monkeys on a million typewriters, reproducing the works of Shakespeare". Do the math and you will find that, while it is not impossible, it will not happen in the lifetime of the Universe.

The trick is to decide into which category, or a third, extraterrestrial life falls.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    And as to the 5 that picked, 'I've seen a UFO/Alien', where are your sighting stories?

P.S.

If you are going to lie, please at least make it interesting and creative, like Bob Lazar. haha.
    the first and most significant time was when I was wandering through the rockies at 3am... basically I ended up catching sight of this floating pentagram of light blue lights, shortly before I stumbled on a trail leading to nowhere called hide trail. the effect was just extremely vivid and surreal, and I was expecting it somewhat.

the second time I was meth'd out on a greyhound somewhere in the midwest, so I can't be as sure, but basically I saw holographic entities and ships (yes lol) in this weird kind of interchange, with these seeming flying saucers interspersed throughout.

the only other times, which I'm convinced were government projects, I'd see an orb of light moving along, only to stop and grow strongly in intensity, then zip off in some other direction.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man y'all. I am still torn. I dont know if I will ever reach a solid
    decision on this one but tentatively yeah, aliens exist.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Man y'all. I am still torn. I dont know if I will ever reach a solid
    decision on this one but tentatively yeah, aliens exist.
    yeah but define alien. it's pretty sure that there will be some worms or fish on other planets, but apes or people is a different story. Though i like how the keppler mission is finding planets in the right habital zone. We can even see through the blocking of their sunlight wether methane gasses exists on those planets and have proof for living species. So in the near future we will at least know somewhat more.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    yeah but define alien. it's pretty sure that there will be some worms or fish on other planets, but apes or people is a different story. Though i like how the keppler mission is finding planets in the right habital zone. We can even see through the blocking of their sunlight wether methane gasses exists on those planets and have proof for living species. So in the near future we will at least know somewhat more.
    My idea of aliens includes worms and fishes that come from other planets.
    IE; anything that has a brain and lives on another planet imo is an alien.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't know @Jarno, i think it's a bigger leap from non-life to life than from worms/fish to apes/humans. a fish is already a fairly complex animal.

really apes/humans is just favoring the brain and its size/complexity over other features. humans aren't the only animals on earth that this trend has occurred with.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    My idea of aliens includes worms and fishes that come from other planets.
    IE; anything that has a brain and lives on another planet imo is an alien.
    ah oke, i remember stephen hawking once say that small life forms will likely exist but intelligent life form will be rare. it was just his hunch.

anyway i think in our lifetime we will witness some indicator of life on another planet. at least i hope so.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Only on Mondays (that's only because I hope that they will kidnap me from work).
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright yall. Putting faith in my feelings and FINALLY reaching a conclusion:
    My gut instinct says there has to be aliens. Space is literally infinite. Somewhere
    that is not here also has life. There is too much space for this not to have happened
    more than once.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Im a little bit clairvoyant so obviously my feelings about aliens are right. No discussion needed.

This is why I have so much anxiety over this topic. I dont want there to be aliens but I also feel that
    there are aliens and it creates this dilemma internally.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another interesting thought i once had, but i'm not sure if it's correct:

the sun is currently around 3 billion years old, but the universe is 13 billion years old. so we came into existence 10 bilion years later then when the whole universe started.

So if there were aliens in the beginning of the universe, which would be logical if life is easy to start, then they are already 10 billion years ahead of us. Can you imagine how fucking far advanced we would be if we had 10 billion years the time to evolve and explore? So if the aliens exists they are already in some kind of God modus, and have already knowledge of our existence.

Please comment, if my reasoning is off somewhere cause i've Always found it an interesting thought.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it's impossible to know if Aliens exist. If you don't know the precise mechanisms of life and can't reproduce it, you can't really predict the likelihood of aliens existing. Life could be so difficult to construct that this is a once in a universe thing.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    another interesting thought i once had, but i'm not sure if it's correct:

the sun is currently around 3 billion years old, but the universe is 13 billion years old. so we came into existence 10 bilion years later then when the whole universe started.

So if there were aliens in the beginning of the universe, which would be logical if life is easy to start, then they are already 10 billion years ahead of us. Can you imagine how fucking far advanced we would be if we had 10 billion years the time to evolve and explore? So if the aliens exists they are already in some kind of God modus, and have already knowledge of our existence.

Please comment, if my reasoning is off somewhere cause i've Always found it an interesting thought.
    yeah, assuming the universe is infinite (and still expanding?) it could be possible that there is some "god-like" (by our standards) intelligent life form out there that has been evolving for billions of years - which would also make them a very hardy kind of life form that has managed not to go extinct for a very long time. but even if this life form exists, they may as well not know or care about our existence. we haven't been around very long, for one thing - only ~200,000 years (a tiny % the age of the universe, assuming 13.8 billion years). and i think it's very much an egocentric, human quality to assume others would want to go out of their way to contact us. considering the vast entirety of the universe, are we really that special? we may as well be a very primitive & uninteresting form of life.

another thing: humans are really a weak kind of life form, not equipped to handle extreme environments. we're physically frail, have evolved to survive in very specific conditions, only able to handle a very limited range of atmospheric pressure, air content, temperature, etc. and we need a continual supply of food/water to live or we die pretty quickly. considering that human actions are bringing on the sixth mass extinction (through deforestation, pollution, climate change, etc.), we may be sentencing our own species to death. any hope for our long-term survival will have to involve our ability to produce ever-more efficient and life-saving technology (which we're not entirely bad at, really.)

anyway, i guess what i'm saying is that our existence probably isn't very special nor long-lived. perhaps not enough for us to make contact with other potential life forms while we're still around. cockroaches and tardigrades will outlive us, just watch

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's conceivable that we may be living inside a computer simulation, in which case the non-existence of aliens is a serious consideration in spite of the scale of our universe [due to the artificial parameters of the system], as is the possibility of what would effectively amount to a creator god or gods programming the simulation from outside. (If we're living in one, I hope it's a more exciting simulation than that).
    Last edited by xerx; 06-23-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so... are there microbes in the water of europa... we can hedge our bets. i don't know if i can bet. but god i want there to be microbes there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast