from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Extraversion - need for stimulation

I want to have more of a discussion on this - I know that extraverts are supposed to get their energy levels from others, from the outside..

I noticed / realized today that even when I am "studying" or doing any schoolwork, I absolutely REQUIRE music or something in the background or I feel way too unable to focus.. - counterintuitive maybe?

Do other extraverts have this same need? It's almost like a multi-tasking thing too, where I can't just do one thing at a time, particularly something boring

Do you introverts need silence to work/study/etc?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Music in particular can be really distracting to me when I'm trying to focus. My mind will automatically snap to it instead of the task at hand. If there's ever something on the tip of my tongue and music is playing, I have to physically cover my ears or stop the music to figure it through.

In any case, I wouldn't say I need external stimulus as much as I need to swap back and forth between different activities every so often. Getting stuck on one task for too long gets psychologically draining, so I allot myself the time to recharge briefly when my focus is waning.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I need silence. I work in an introverted environment with very little access to others, music or noise.
    My bf on the other hand loves being included, invited, around people even though he doesn't necessarily need to talk to them, he just like being among and about and watching or observing.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my iei bro and i walk the quiet paths together, I'm the one paying attention to where we are on the path and guiding us through it, while he just adjusts his pace/position to me. My senses expand in this kinds of environments, and I find it relaxing and energizing.

However, when we are in a crowded, loud, store, I get totally overwhelmed by it all and he or R (sei) are the ones to guide me as I cling to their arm so I don't lose contact with them. I just shut down from being overstimulated. But they both can tune it out.

When with a group of people, I become quiet and withdrawn and R(sei) watches and observes everyone. (Except when i used to go dancing. He shuts down, I get joyous shaking my booty.) ...I miss dancing.

As for doing anything that requires heavy thinking, I need peace and quiet. My mind feels so rambly and chaotic that even the slightest stimuli can dump the whole mental structure I was working with.

But for things like chores, or physical tasks, I don't mind some stimuli, but sounds are kinda irritating. (That runs in my family...grandmother, dad, me, daughter.) Still though, I prefer peace and quiet.

Like Galen, too, I can't stick with one task, and so switch around between different types of tasks. A little here, a little there.

Btw, in reinin's socionics, multitasking is related to result types. The difference between results vs process types is about level of immersion in a task. Process types are deeply immersed while doing the task; while Result types are disconnected from the process, mind observing the process and other external stuff.

But I think it's more likely a combination of interest and level of familiarity with the task.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need background noise too. Instrumental music works well (music with lyrics often gets me distracted), as well as the voices of a cafeteria etc, but sitting alone in a quiet room with a book is torture to me. I also have to have a lot of breaks, switch between tasks, take walks, talk to someone etc in order to stay focused unless I've managed to reach a flow state (which isn't very common). I actually even have this program on my computer that generates humming noises of specific frequancies, it's been a great help to me. And I'm an introvert, both socionically and in the general meaning of the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari