Thread: YOU KNOW WHAT SATURDAY IS (type the twelfth Doctor)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default YOU KNOW WHAT SATURDAY IS (type the twelfth Doctor)

This Saturday Series 8 (Or Season 34 depending on how you look at it) starts! Here are a couple of trailers (obviously there are some minor spoilers in them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trCFBuDqvII
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Obviously it's too soon to tell, but this Doctor seems more Fi focused than the past few did, talking about doing something about past mistakes and "am I a good man" and so forth.

AND OMG AT WHO'S PLAYING HIS RIVAL THIS SEASON!!!
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It's quite amazing how ever since David Tennant left I kept thinking they couldn't improve or match him but in each case they seem to have managed it. It seems Peter Capaldi will be something completely removed from his Malcolm Tucker role which is possibly a relief - and so will not just be an easy shoe-in lightweight doctor.

The rival...is that the role played by Michelle Gomez? She's totally crazy and should be very good at a role like that

...hopefully I will start to really like Jenna Coleman as his companion / assistant / helper...I'm still missing the Amelia Pond stuff.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    It's quite amazing how ever since David Tennant left I kept thinking they couldn't improve or match him but in each case they seem to have managed it. It seems Peter Capaldi will be something completely removed from his Malcolm Tucker role which is possibly a relief - and so will not just be an easy shoe-in lightweight doctor.
    Yeah! <3

The rival...is that the role played by Michelle Gomez? She's totally crazy and should be very good at a role like that
    Nope.

This guy plays the new Master!

...hopefully I will start to really like Jenna Coleman as his companion / assistant / helper...I'm still missing the Amelia Pond stuff.
    Yeah. I've never heard anyone say they're a huge Clara fan. If she had followed Martha (who I feel is underrated, btw) she would have had a much better shot at meeting with fan admiration, but the Ponds are a very tough act to follow. Also, I've never really been impressed with the chemistry between her and 11. I'm curious to see if it'll be better with 12, but I'm reluctant to believe it will. We'll see.

When are they going to make his companion a crazy little Asian girl? Loud with an accent, impulsive, funny... I wanna see it. Maybe not with 12 though.
    Last edited by Joy; 08-20-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Oh wow! The person who plays his 'rival' is an awesome actor! That will be great to see!

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I've never heard anyone say they're a huge Clara fan. If she had followed Martha (who I feel is underrated, btw) she would have had a much better shot at meeting with fan admiration, but the Ponds are a very tough act to follow. Also, I've never really been impressed with the chemistry between her and 11. I'm curious to see if it'll be better with 12, but I'm reluctant to believe it will. We'll see.

When are they going to make his companion a crazy little Asian girl? Loud with an accent, impulsive, funny... I wanna see it. Maybe not with 12 though.
    I read that this is Clara's last series, so hopefully we'll get a great companion next time around.

And yay, so excited for Series 8!!! 3 days to go!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I reckon Clara's character could quite easily be salvaged and improved but if it's her last series, then what is done is done

I would like there to be more use of characters and scenarios like Madame Vestra - I mean with more emphasis on historic times rather than the more spacey-wacey side.

I think I've only seen about recent advert for DW on TV - I knew it was coming but quite astonished that the Americans are getting it at the same time. Things are far better co-ordinated nowadays!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They want people watch it on BBC America instead of just downloading it.

I also always thought it would be cool to have companions from other planets or other times. That would be harder to write though.

My top wish for the show is that they'd run several series at once. There's no reason the 12th, 20th, and 37th doctors, for example, couldn't have shows running all at the same time. However, I could see it bombing if not done well, plus it commits the writers to certain things. (Though Moffat could get out of any continuity issue I think.)
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

yeah, no reason in theory, but it'd be very confusing for most people too. They could do it as a one-off possibly, but then it would mean that the future reincarnations would either be very short-lived or rely on the actors taking part in years to come (although they didn't have that problem with the First Doctor recently ). I think people would just prefer to see previous doctors that they liked appearing again like they did before.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Doctors
    1st Doctor: ESI-Se
    2nd Doctor: SLE-Se
    3rd Doctor: LSE-Si
    4th Doctor: IEE-Ne
    5th Doctor: SLI-Te
    6th Doctor: ILE
    7th Doctor: LSI-Se
    9th Doctor: IEI-Fe
    10th Doctor: IEE-Fi
    11th Doctor: SEI
    12th Doctor:

Companions
    Rose: SLE-Se
    Jack: ESE-Fe
    Martha: EIE-Fe
    Donna: ESE
    River Song:
    Amy: ILE?
    Rory: EII?

Other
    Rose's Mom: LII-Ne
    Mickey:
    Donna's Grandpa:

The types that aren't in bold are still uncertain.
    All suggestions will be considered.
    I don't have TV, so I don't know when I'll get a good look at the next one.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the 9th doctor (not sure about his type), loved the 10th (IEE) and hated the 11th. Matt Smith was an emofag, with all my respects to both emos and homosexuals. Hated him and his companions, specially the self-centered narcissistic Amy Pond. 11th seemed EIE to me due to his unnatural emotionality (excessive, histrionic). I think Amy was something around SEI-Fe (although I could be biased). Best companion was Rose (SEE-Fi).

Capaldi V.I. as a LII (Ne subt, specifically) and so he behaves. Even as Malcolm Tucker, which superficially seems more gamma-ish, he was more like an energetic and neurotic LII (E1, maybe?) than a true LIE (no Se implies no real intimidating skills; right, General Soprano?). I suspect his doctor will also be LII (or at least will have a LII aura), due to the actor. I'm not sure if I would like the result (because a "LII" doctor could be too serious for the character, nothing against LIIs themselves), but no Matt and no Amy is always good.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking Ti ego so far. He's a bit like... an edgy ILE. He spent a good chunk of time adjusting to his new body though. We'll see.
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I thought that episode took a very long time to start...ended very well though. Too early for me to have any thoughts on type (it is difficult enough even after more than one series, although they generally seem to have a large part of the actor's own personality).

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen S08E05 yet, but I really like S08E04!

I'm not a fan of how the writers keep messing with the timeline on what seems like a whim, but other than that I thought it was really good.

I was actually thinking ILI for Twelve, but Clara seems Fe dominant so probably not. Well, I guess EIE and ILI could work. I think @Subteigh makes a very good point about the difficulty in typing Doctors even when we have much more to go on. Part of that is because of contradictory behavior. And then there's the thing about how fictional characters aren't actually people and therefore don't actually process information, so they obviously don't really have types. But anyways. Twelve seems introverted and either logical or a super cranky ESI.
    SEE

Creepy-bg

yeah. for me, that was one of the best ones ever of the new series (episode 4).
    Last edited by bg; 09-21-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not know his type yet - he is too busy IMO trying to find himself before I have a go!

Creepy-bg

@Joy

I don't feel like they messed with his timeline on a whim in that one, it was an important episode for developing/showing the relationship between Clara and the Doctor.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This Doctor shows very clear examples of positivist and yet his role as the Caretaker / Professor / Space Dad combined with the constant referral to the Endless Sorrow of his thoughts even compared to the recent few Doctors perhaps gives a IJ and/or a feel at times. (he seems a lot more introvertedly reflective than the more recent ones).

It seems like a similar problem with all the past attempts this forum had at typing the character of House, although I think in the case of the Doctor, the wins out. SEI for Clara as has previously been suggested seems like it could work...Danny seems like he could be ESI although purely in terms of demeanour (i.e. rather than speech) the actor seems similar to Capaldi.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Personality

Capaldi has said that his Doctor is "more alien than he's been in a while." He has stated that unlike his previous two incarnations who cared about humans and tried to understand them, this incarnation "doesn’t quite understand human beings or really care very much about their approval.” Jenna Coleman said of this Doctor, "He’s more removed, you can't quite access him in the same way", referring to the way you could with the more friendly accessible previous incarnation.[30] Capaldi also specifically requested that the Doctor will not flirt with his companion the way his previous incarnation did.[27] He has also been described as a "total adrenaline junkie". Steven Moffat has said of this Doctor, "He's a much fiercer, madder, less reliable Doctor".[31] "He’s not as immediately approachable and he’s not necessarily looking for your approval, when he says ‘Wait here, I’ll be back’, you’re not absolutely convinced... what he’s not doing is reassuring you very much.”[32] Mark Gatiss said that Capaldi's Doctor was "sort of Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and even Christopher Eccleston style...it’s someone who’s not immediately going to be your best friend and can be quite abrupt and rude.”[33] Moffat added to this analysis of the character by saying, “He has a tremendous ability with throwaway humor and a lot of it is around the fact that sometimes he is terribly rude. I think kids will think he is the rude Doctor [...] You might want to cuddle him but he really will resist.”[34] It has been said that part of the Doctor's personality will share “a certain acid wit” of Malcolm Tucker, the role Peter Capaldi is most famous for, "specifically the attitude, the wisecracks and the energy...he can be edgy, volatile and dangerous".[35][36][37] Capaldi has stated that all of the previous actors who had played the doctor were channeled in his portrayal[38] and that his particular influences were Hartnell, Pertwee and Davison.[36] He has been described as an "older, fiercer, trickier Doctor".[39]

In spite of his darker personality, Capaldi has said that the Doctor is still, "funny, joyful, passionate, emphatic, and fearless." While Jenna Coleman added that this time, the Doctor is more "enigmatic, mysterious, complex, worn, and unmannered," when compared to his immediate two predecessors. Steven Moffat joked that he's, "more Scottish than last time."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Doctor shows very clear examples of positivist and yet his role as the Caretaker / Professor / Space Dad combined with the constant referral to the Endless Sorrow of his thoughts even compared to the recent few Doctors perhaps gives a IJ and/or a feel at times. (he seems a lot more introvertedly reflective than the more recent ones).

It seems like a similar problem with all the past attempts this forum had at typing the character of House, although I think in the case of the Doctor, the wins out. SEI for Clara as has previously been suggested seems like it could work...Danny seems like he could be ESI although purely in terms of demeanour (i.e. rather than speech) the actor seems similar to Capaldi.
    I have no idea at this point. It's possible that I just can't properly process this atm. (exhausted from packing to move)

I think Clara seems more ESE though?
    SEE

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, um...

I think the 12th doctor is like a negativist yet extroverted and irrational NT type (which doesn't exist IRL!!), capaldi seems IEE.

clara and jenna coleman are both ESE i think.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not really a negativist though. A pessimist, yes.
    SEE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ok, ESE works too (I think with a character who started off on her own, then became the Doctor's protector, then a school teacher who is basically only ever seen interacting with two people (and even then, never in any real depth), it is difficult to get a strong impression like that but the most recent episode\s may well point in that direction).

(I'm actually quite liking Clara as a character now, although this may partly be because Episode 6 was particularly awesome and because I'm already forgetting how great the Amy (and Rory) episodes were).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't think I normally notice if acting has been bad, but for that last episode of the series...it did seem noticeable, especially with 1) Clara and 2) Danny

I thought that episode tried way too hard to mash many things together for the maximum wallop, which normally, the show is extremely capable of doing well. The most irritating thing was the one-time-only time-travel element of Andy's bracelet...utterly illogical that it exists...and even taking into account the possibility that someone in the Nethersphere helped him work out what it was, it seemed pretty cheap.

The two time lords were both awesome though...especially nice touch was the Mistress smirking when she mentioned Glasgow...both actors grew up in Glasgow (Michelle Gomez was actually born in Ayr not Glasgow, but she went to secondary school in Glasgow as well as the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama there...Capaldi did not, he went to the Glasgow School of Art! Moffat also went to university in Glasgow.

...the episode also had Clara referring to the Doctor having a degree...much earlier episodes had him mentioning that he study medicine in Glasgow...

Creepy-bg

I don't think I normally notice if acting has been bad, but for that last episode of the series...it did seem noticeable, especially with 1) Clara and 2) Danny

I thought that episode tried way too hard to mash many things together for the maximum wallop, which normally, the show is extremely capable of doing well. The most irritating thing was the one-time-only time-travel element of Andy's bracelet...utterly illogical that it exists...and even taking into account the possibility that someone in the Nethersphere helped him work out what it was, it seemed pretty cheap.

The two time lords were both awesome though...especially nice touch was the Mistress smirking when she mentioned Glasgow...both actors grew up in Glasgow (Michelle Gomez was actually born in Ayr not Glasgow, but she went to secondary school in Glasgow as well as the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama there...Capaldi did not, he went to the Glasgow School of Art! Moffat also went to university in Glasgow.

...the episode also had Clara referring to the Doctor having a degree...much earlier episodes had him mentioning that he study medicine in Glasgow...
    I kind of groaned a bit inside at the end of last weeks episode. like, oh god, they're using the sex change regeneration gimmick . But she played the role absolutely brilliantly in this final episode. the "I'm nuts!" thing might have been a bit much, but somehow it did fit/call back to Simm's manic Master. I was totally sold on Missy as the new master by the end.

i just realized that Danny died before he and Clara could have a kid, so... the time traveling son rescued from being trapped at the end of the universe from that earlier episode?

FIX YOUR DAMN SHOW MOFFAT!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    I kind of groaned a bit inside at the end of last weeks episode. like, oh god, they're using the sex change regeneration gimmick . But she played the role absolutely brilliantly in this final episode. the "I'm nuts!" thing might have been a bit much, but somehow it did fit/call back to Simm's manic Master. I was totally sold on Missy as the new master by the end.

i just realized that Danny died before he and Clara could have a kid, so... the time traveling son rescued from being trapped at the end of the universe from that earlier episode?

FIX YOUR DAMN SHOW MOFFAT!
    there's already been conjecture that Clara is pregnant, and this is an extra reason for her not continuing with being the Doctor's "Helper". I think that would be a little lame because of the lack of depth of Clara and Danny's characters...I guess it would help keep the show forever optimistic + family-orientated though!

I thought Missy's manic grins and sparkling eyes were reminiscent of Delgado's Master also, which was very good. (...her character is also somewhat like the character Sue White that she played in the comedy Green Wing also...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked Missy, hated absolutely everything else about the episode. I don't even care if Clara's pregnant. I want her gone.
    Last edited by Joy; 11-20-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    SEE

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I KNOW WHAT SATURDAY IS

It's Caturday.