Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Those of Weak Voice

I have numerous theories about how this condition arises aside from being related to type, although many of them may stem from the root cause of the type. I imagine it is related to PoLR or weak although I've not made any strong record. Gender may play a role in how noticeable it is.

I would think that lack of practice talking is a key part of this - especially before 2 years of age, but then also somewhat significantly before 5 years of age. Perhaps having parents who have a different accent to the neighbourhood has an influence (I can't say this was true in my case, as I suspect my accent is still distinctly regional).

I wonder if having very particular, formal ways of speaking has an effect?

Another thing is having a habit of being very tight-lipped and almost gnawing at yourself ( which is how I am) - I always have a great fear of being overheard which also means I perhaps talk quieter than I should. I find that it is very important for me to try and make sure that a person is watching my lips (perhaps also combined with my hand gesture and general manner) otherwise they may not pick up what I say. Watching the lips must be a very important part of comprehending what people say - or at least, this is especially true in some instances.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 04:03 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My voice is very "airy" and warbles at times (see videos here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-Socionics-WTF) and I am fairly certain I am -seeking. Sometimes I feel like I choke and stumble on words when I talk too fast, get embarrassed and go quiet. I took a public speaking class in high school and my teacher made me talk as loud as I could during one of the exercises, then kept pushing me to go louder but I just wasn't physically capable of it. In my case I think it is due to a lifelong thyroid problem more than anything to do with my childhood, as I was a know-it-all punk as a kid and made sure people heard what I had to say.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 04:03 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posture - slouchers, folding in, all will have a negative impact on your voice quality.

Lack of opening mouth - tendency to keep lips unmoving will cause mumbling and you'll lack clarity

shallow breathing - not breathing with your diaphragm or tendency to hold your breath will cause you to sound breathy

anxiety- will cause your shoulders to rise up to your ears and cause your voice to sound higher pitch

these are all physical reasons why your voice would sound weak. Applying this to type it probably is more common to find this trait in personality types who have developed these habits bc of their more reserved introverted personality which will also lead to tight muscles in diaphragm, chest, shoulders, which constrict cpvocal quality .

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Anyone else have a tendency to mumble?
    very much so I think...

possibly this problem is increased when I've been loss in thought for a very long time and someone speaks to me and I then reply without considering what I'm doing (e.g. who I'm talking to, the distance across which I'm speaking etc.)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i used to have a problem with people telling me to speak up when i was feeling shy. i remember it being an issue when it came to public speaking. but later on i overcame it. so i'm not sure its really type related since its relatively easy to change by just reminding yourself to talk more loudly. my delta NF friend (lately i'm leaning IEE for her) gets excited and speaks way too loudly about any topic and has to be reminded to keep it down so that the entire convenience store or whatever doesn't hear about her sex life. my IEI boyfriend always speaks quietly and hushes me sometimes because for him its a matter of courtesy to others. my LSI dad has always been super loud and people who don't know him get upset and think he is yelling at them but its just his voice lol. my SLI ex drove me nuts by mumbling really fast all the time like boomhauer and then getting mad when i always asked "what?" not sure if i see any strong correlations but i guess a general trend of ESxx = loud INxx = quiet might be sorta truthy.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

My throat chakra is weak right now but it has not always been that way. I am aware that I speak too softy sometimes and stumble on my words. I am working on it. I speak with more confidence around people I trust.

http://cauldronsandcupcakes.com/2012...throat-chakra/

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

talking in a different voice helps me i know it may sound ridiculous i was fooling around when i discover the magic but its just that... magic for me anyways

its not just a different voice it an entirely new dialect depending on who i think im talking to i use different words aswell

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the opposite problem. I have a very loud voice, it carries far and strongly. I tend to "whisper" to people and it will still be heard across the room. This is good when speaking to groups, not so much when gossipping about someone in the same general area.

It does carry into the rest of my personality, in the sense that it's nearly impossible for me to be invisible, even though shy, i have a profound and noticable effect on my environment.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had issues with speaking loudly when younger, but gradually began growing out of it as I got older. There are still times when it's difficult for me to speak loudly, depending on my environment and the subject - for instance, I will speak more clearly in a smaller group than in a larger group; it's also easier for me to read material written by others, than it is for me to read my own written material. Essentially:

Large group, reading my own written material: you probably won't hear much, if I can even manage to step in front of the group to begin with.
    Large group, reading others' words: more likely to hear me, but still some obvious tension.
    Small group, reading my own material: clear communication, with obvious tension.
    Small group, reading others' words: clear communication and minimal to no tension.

I'm also not much of a verbal communicator, preferring written format unless it's something that would be quicker if done verbally (work or financial business, for example).