Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting articles thread

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journ...014.00839/full

article about divergent hemispheric reasoning strategies; reducing uncertainty (left) vs resolving inconsistency (right).
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journ...014.00839/full

article about divergent hemispheric reasoning strategies; reducing uncertainty (left) vs resolving inconsistency (right).
    Thank you for posting this find. This seems to cover a large part of a problem I'm having with someone. Like my annoyance that they constantly ignore the inconsistencies between what they say vs do, and that they jump too quickly to a conclusion, and then don't respond to feedback (mine nor others) because it doesn't fit their previous conclusion. Meanwhile they're probably annoyed that I keep bringing up the inconsistencies and asking/demanding them to pay attention to this stuff when they are already so sure they have it right.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Thank you for posting this find. This seems to cover a large part of a problem I'm having with someone. Like my annoyance that they constantly ignore the inconsistencies between what they say vs do, and that they jump too quickly to a conclusion, and then don't respond to feedback (mine nor others) because it doesn't fit their previous conclusion. Meanwhile they're probably annoyed that I keep bringing up the inconsistencies and asking/demanding them to pay attention to this stuff when they are already so sure they have it right.

no problem, Ann (: i've been studying cognitive process a bit more in depth and articles like this one in particular have been more than helpful especially since they give more complete picture of how the reasoning goes in terms of how and why hemispheric (bi)lateralization works. imo, it holds great significance since a large body of evidence mentioned in the article suggests that the natural reasoning tendencies and strategies of the hemispheres do differ and that cognitive processes in the left hemisphere tend to make inferences (and create novel visual, lexical and semantic assemblages) while those in the right hemisphere tend to detect and correct inconsistencies (detect conflict between logic and real-world knowledge) which would disprove the standard hypothesis that left brain dominants are precise analysts by default and right brain dominants-synthesists. but anyway, i'm glad it helped-- i have heaps of related articles which i can link you if you want to study the hemispheric divergence a bit more in depth (:

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss BabyDoll View Post
    no problem, Ann (: i've been studying cognitive process a bit more in depth and articles like this one in particular have been more than helpful especially since they give more complete picture of how the reasoning goes in terms of how and why hemispheric (bi)lateralization works. imo, it holds great significance since a large body of evidence mentioned in the article suggests that the natural reasoning tendencies and strategies of the hemispheres do differ and that cognitive processes in the left hemisphere tend to make inferences (and create novel visual, lexical and semantic assemblages) while those in the right hemisphere tend to detect and correct inconsistencies (detect conflict between logic and real-world knowledge) which would disprove the standard hypothesis that left brain dominants are precise analysts by default and right brain dominants-synthesists. but anyway, i'm glad it helped-- i have heaps of related articles which i can link you if you want to study the hemispheric divergence a bit more in depth (:
    Where were you 2-5 years ago??
    This stuff was totally up my alley, back then. But for the next year or two I can't let myself get distracted from more important projects. Tease.

Something I read back then said something about the right hemisphere is looking for what's wrong. It's the one that looks out for danger, and responds quickly to danger. While the left looks for what is right. I know this is super simplified, and doesn't do justice to what I had read. (I will try looking for it tomorrow.)

Anyways, that doesn't seem too far off from the article you linked to. Maybe I'll try to find it tonight.

Edited to add, thinking out loud here: not "right" but it takes a more positive stance. I'm starting to remember some more. It had to do with neurofeedback. Something about an overactive right frontal lobe constantly scanning for danger, the person feeling anxiety from it, hypervigilant. Worse if the left frontal lobe was...in one of the lower Hz zones. Something like Beta waves in the right, Alpha waves in the left. Also related to add/adhd (lower waves of Alpha/Delta while awake, with difficulty getting to or maintaining Beta waves while awake).

While having Beta + waves in left frontal lobe, with alpha/delta waves in right frontal lobe was experienced as more positive, peaceful, of feeling confidence in one's rightness.

I keep an eye out for neurofeedback machines I can afford in the hopes of being able to train the right area to relax more, and the left to increase so that i could focus better without all the anxieties.

Anyways, now that I recall it being related to that, I am soooo not going to look for the papers/notes, because then I definitely WILL get distracted and frustrated. Sorry.
    Last edited by anndelise; 10-23-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where were you 2-5 years ago??
    This stuff was totally up my alley, back then. But for the next year or two I can't let myself get distracted from more important projects. Tease.

Something I read back then said something about the right hemisphere is looking for what's wrong. It's the one that looks out for danger, and responds quickly to danger. While the left looks for what is right. I know this is super simplified, and doesn't do justice to what I had read. (I will try looking for it tomorrow.)

Anyways, that doesn't seem too far off from the article you linked to. Maybe I'll try to find it tonight.

well, i'm here now if it counts lol.
    Actually it's other way around - extensive evidence suggests that the left hemisphere creates explanations when faced with uncertainty or ambiguity, and split-brain studies offer especially salient examples of the left hemisphere’s proclivity to explain. left hemisphere creates explanations when faced with unknown/sudden/unexpected situation that adequately accounts for one's behavior. Even though the explanations were wrong, they were rational and plausible, given the available evidence. When evidence is sparse or unusual, the left hemisphere may create seemingly bizarre and implausible explanations, which may develop into delusions. (why some process/ti doms can be intensely incooperative and have monolithic set of beliefs).the right hemisphere, however, places a premium on the truth, it is sensitive to conflicts between hypotheses and real-world knowledge and prompts the revision of inappropriate hypotheses and initiate the search for new ones. so basically, while the left hemisphere strives to reduce uncertainty, the right hemisphere strives to reduce inconsistencies between hypotheses and reality.
    These findings have been pretty consistent throughout neurocognitive explorations think of Piaget, Ramachandran, Gazzaniga etc..
    Ha, tease idd! (:

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added some to that post.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read what you wrote, I don't really see them as contradicting. The two ideas compliment, imo. The following is very layman-y and from iee, so...yeah.

An active Left frontal (beta hz+) would make it easier to give a rationale for something, and thus help the person feel more confident, at least more secure in their understanding of the world. They think they are right, regardless of actuallity.
    If both rt and left were equally active, then the rt would be looking out for what's wrong, creating anxiety in the person, who's left would then kick out a reason which might calm the rt down. Back and forth.
    But an overactive Rt with an underactive left would keep seeing things not fitting, things aren't right, there's something there that shouldn't be there, what is it? (Left brain:it's a tiger dummy. Rt brain: oh fuck, run!!)
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read what you wrote, I don't really see them as contradicting. The two ideas compliment, imo. The following is very layman-y and from iee, so...yeah.

An active Left frontal (beta hz+) would make it easier to give a rationale for something, and thus help the person feel more confident, at least more secure in their understanding of the world. They think they are right, regardless of actuallity.
    If both rt and left were equally active, then the rt would be looking out for what's wrong, creating anxiety in the person, who's left would then kick out a reason which might calm the rt down. Back and forth.
    But an overactive Rt with an underactive left would keep seeing things not fitting, things aren't right, there's something there that shouldn't be there, what is it?
    yes i agree with this! it's all comes down to prevalence of one and coordination of the two which creates a unique cognitive blueprint.

(Left brain:it's a tiger dummy. Rt brain: oh fuck, run!!)
    yeah

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://cbcl.mit.edu/cbcl/publication...netik-1973.pdf

a more structural approach to non-linearity of holographic models of memory

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/d.../PDF/13014.pdf

This paper examines the causality relationship between immigration, unemployment and economic growth of the host country. We employ the panel Granger causality testing approach of Konya (2006) that is based on SUR systems and Wald tests with country specific bootstrap critical values. This approach allows to test for Granger-causality on each individual panel member separately by taking into account the contemporaneous correlation across countries. Using annual data over the 1980-2005 period for 22 OECD countries, we find that, only in Portugal, unemployment negatively causes immigration, while in any country, immigration does not cause unemployment. On the other hand, our results show that, in four countries (France, Iceland, Norway and the United Kingdom), growth positively causes immigration, whereas in any country, immigration does not cause growth.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Park; 11-24-2014 at 05:46 PM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NONE of these articles are as interesting as the one I wrote in my head!!!!!

T

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do all dogs go to heaven? Pope Francis leaves pearly gates open to animals
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/do-all-d...mals-1.2145039
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In most OECD countries, the gap between rich and poor is at its highest level since 30 years. Today, the richest 10 per cent of the population in the OECD area earn 9.5 times the income of the poorest 10 per cent; in the 1980s this ratio stood at 7:1 and has been rising continuously ever since. However, the rise in overall income inequality is not (only) about surging top income shares: often, incomes at the bottom grew much slower during the prosperous years and fell during downturns, putting relative (and in some countries, absolute) income poverty on the radar of policy concerns. This paper explores whether such developments may have an impact on economic performance.

Drawing on harmonised data covering the OECD countries over the past 30 years, the econometric analysis suggests that income inequality has a negative and statistically significant impact on subsequent growth. In particular, what matters most is the gap between low income households and the rest of the population. In contrast, no evidence is found that those with high incomes pulling away from the rest of the population harms growth. The paper also evaluates the "human capital accumulation theory" finding evidence for human capital as a channel through which inequality may affect growth. Analysis based on micro data from the Adult Skills Survey (PIAAC) shows that increased income disparities depress skills development among individuals with poorer parental education background, both in terms of the quantity of education attained (e.g. years of schooling), and in terms of its quality (i.e. skill proficiency). Educational outcomes of individuals from richer backgrounds, however, are not affected by inequality.

It follows that policies to reduce income inequalities should not only be pursued to improve social outcomes but also to sustain long-term growth. Redistribution policies via taxes and transfers are a key tool to ensure the benefits of growth are more broadly distributed and the results suggest they need not be expected to undermine growth. But it is also important to promote equality of opportunity in access to and quality of education. This implies a focus on families with children and youths – as this is when decisions about human capital accumulation are made -- promoting employment for disadvantaged groups through active labour market policies, childcare supports and in-work benefits.
    http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-...ive-02#page=19

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06452212003983
    article about clinical disorders expressing impulsive behaviour and the pivotal contribution made by dopamine/serotonin systems in the aetiology and treatment of behavioural syndromes expressing impulsive symptoms.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This one needs more public:

http://flavorwire.com/204165/artist-insults

The 30 Harshest Artist-on-Artist Insults In History

2. Salvador Dalí on Piet Mondrian:
    “Completely idiotic critics have for several years used the name of Piet Mondrian as though he represented the sum mum of all spiritual activity. They quote him in every connection. Piet for architecture, Piet for poetry, Piet for mysticism, Piet for philosophy, Piet’s whites, Piet’s yellows, Piet, Piet, Piet… Well, I Salvador, will tell you this, that Piet with one ‘i’ less would have been nothing but pet, which is the French word for fart.”
    19. J. Alden Weir on the French Impressionists:
    “I never in my life saw more horrible things. They do not observe drawing nor form but give you an impression of what they call nature. It was worse than the Chamber of Horrors.”

Last edited by Amber; 01-14-2015 at 08:38 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

In this article we shall try to unravel the true nature of our senses and the relationship between them and our own self. To do this we shall take a closer look at the way they work – both biologically and psychologically. Lets start with some considerations on what they are, how they interact with the mind and so on, and then look into each of the senses – there are more than five! By touching on strange phenomena related to each senses such as illusions, sensory leakage and some tweaks that can be made through technology, we seek to present a detailed panorama on the wonderful world of senses.

Senses are complex structures belonging to the nervous system, whose job is to provide the much-needed data for perception. Traditionally it is believed that there are five senses – smell, touch, taste, hearing and sight; while others list chronoperception (the perception and experience of the passage of time) and nocioperception (the perception of damage in our tissues that result in pain) as entirely valid senses.

http://fractalenlightenment.com/3064...-of-our-senses

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

After a total of 15 daily sessions, the participants in the study showed highly significant gains in attention- their scores on the WISC-3 freedom from distractibility scales improved by 81%.

The study drew the definitive conclusion that "the subjects did benefit from the 15 sessions of neurotherapy." In contrast, none of the 10 control group subjects showed significant changes in any measurement.

Another fascinating study actually compared the use of brainwave stimulation against the use of Ritalin.10 In this research, one group of students received brainwave stimulation for 4 weeks. The other group had their IQ tested while not taking medication, and then began taking Ritalin as prescribed for the 4 week period.

The IQ tests from after the treatment were compared with those from before. The result was that the students who received brain stimulation demonstrated greater improvement, compared to the students on Ritalin, in all 5 of the IQ tests!
    http://www.transparentcorp.com/resea....php?c=1908038

YWIMW

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://www.colombotelegraph.com/ind...t-young-women/

My initial tendency was to regard this as “gossip,” but then some of the biographies confirmed it as fact, but also hurriedly dismissed it as something that we all apparently should accept as the eccentricities of “great” men! That’s not a logical argument for me and so I began to dig into archives for more information till a complete picture emerged. And that picture upset me. I saw Gandhi as a classic example of a sexual predator — a man who uses his position of power to manipulate and sexually exploit the people he directly controls.
    Last edited by Amber; 02-28-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1273504.html

How To Write Love Poems That Don't Suck

I once responded to a girlfriend’s love poem by critiquing its imagery. That relationship didn’t last long. After all, who was I to ignore Oscar Wilde’s bromide, “All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling”?
    (...)
    To talk about this particular challenge, we invited four poets to discuss the art of the love poem, all of them poets who reinvent the subject not as lace and violets but as a shattered display window, “an ache and a kink,” “the black pulse of dominoes,” or “a bird/trapped in the terminal”—anything but what we’ve come to expect.
    Last edited by Amber; 03-02-2015 at 12:29 AM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://hbr.org/2012/03/a-study-in-leadership-women-do

We’ve all heard the claims, the theories, and the speculation about the ways leadership styles vary between women and men. Our latest survey data puts some hard numbers into the mix.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.psr.jku.at/PSR2003/12_08Wag.pdf

People in Action and Social Representation:A Comment on Jaan Valsiner’s (2003)“Theory of Enablement”

I agree elsewhere (Wagner, 1997) with Valsiner (2003) on the issue that in social practice individuals rarely believe and act without implicitly or explicitly consulting the available social and cultural wisdom, that is, the shared knowledge and belief systems of the group they belong to. This pool of explicit knowledge, i.e. cultural models, social representations and other cultural tools, delimit a kind of rationality which is defined by the consensus of a respective group. It embraces all collective everyday knowledge about real or imaginary things, which can be the object of social discourse in a social unit.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/a...art-slide-show

Forget Eve Ensler and Naomi Wolf: When it comes to the vagina as a subject, art was there first. We snatch some examples from history to survey the persistence of pussy in art through the ages.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast