Thread: Cognitive functions

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cognitive functions

What would you suggest as the best way to determine cognitive functions? What is the best way to determine the type based on functions?
    The first I started with cognitive functions tests, but they didn't really gave me a result, that would suggest directly any type. I continued with reading some short descriptions and relating them to types and their behavioral patterns and after that I got myself into reading Jung's, Lenore Thomson's and Dario Nardi's descriptions. After reading all of this I pretty well understand how the functions work in theory and I can spot the differences, correlations, but I fail to apply this theory clearly on myself. I can see myself using many different functions in situations and it's hard for me to determine which one are more dominant and which are inferior.
    Do you have any types how to spot and classify the functions?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    What would you suggest as the best way to determine cognitive functions? What is the best way to determine the type based on functions?
    The first I started with cognitive functions tests, but they didn't really gave me a result, that would suggest directly any type. I continued with reading some short descriptions and relating them to types and their behavioral patterns and after that I got myself into reading Jung's, Lenore Thomson's and Dario Nardi's descriptions. After reading all of this I pretty well understand how the functions work in theory and I can spot the differences, correlations, but I fail to apply this theory clearly on myself. I can see myself using many different functions in situations and it's hard for me to determine which one are more dominant and which are inferior.
    Do you have any types how to spot and classify the functions?
    Just try reflecting on situations that have happened and think about what you said and why you said it. Think about what makes you feel uncomfortable when you are interacting with people to help you recognize potential unvalued functions. Quadra values were initially a big mystery to me but I have gradually evolved into using them and find them to be very helpful. Once I have the quadra, then the temperament - IP,IJ, EP, EJ, can help narrow things down further. It is very easy to spot some valued functions in people, others not so much. I do a lot of typing based on my ability to recognize Si, for example.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Just try reflecting on situations that have happened and think about what you said and why you said it. Think about what makes you feel uncomfortable when you are interacting with people to help you recognize potential unvalued functions. Quadra values were initially a big mystery to me but I have gradually evolved into using them and find them to be very helpful. Once I have the quadra, then the temperament - IP,IJ, EP, EJ, can help narrow things down further. It is very easy to spot some valued functions in people, others not so much. I do a lot of typing based on my ability to recognize Si, for example.
    I it find easy to spot Si too, the same for Fi, these two functions come somehow naturally to me to understand them and see them in others as well as on myself. I can clearly see my Si usage, but yet the Si makes me feel uncomfortable and that creates a type contradiction. I've tried to think about my past behavior, mostly my childhood to use it as a tool to determine my dominant function (I assum, that the dominant function is the 1st one developed during childhood), but again as I said I could apply different functions on one situation.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    I it find easy to spot Si too, the same for Fi, these two functions come somehow naturally to me to understand them and see them in others as well as on myself. I can clearly see my Si usage, but yet the Si makes me feel uncomfortable and that creates a type contradiction. I've tried to think about my past behavior, mostly my childhood to use it as a tool to determine my dominant function (I assum, that the dominant function is the 1st one developed during childhood), but again as I said I could apply different functions on one situation.
    I had wondered if my discomfort about Si was because perhaps it was a suggestive function and I didn't want pressure on it (Delta Infantile.) But I feel smothered when I am surrounded by Deltas, not content. Also I feel immature and like I need to keep my slightly reckless thoughts to myself. Because I had so many Deltas in my life it became easy to see that I was not that kind of NF. The Beta stereotypes didn't help either. I had trouble at first thinking Beta was a fit for me. I also tried typing myself based on my childhood, but looking to see how I work with people was much more helpful. There are some good subtype descriptions on Wikisocion that you might look at to see if you recognize yourself. http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...e=IEE_subtypes
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    I had wondered if my discomfort about Si was because perhaps it was a suggestive function and I didn't want pressure on it (Delta Infantile.) But I feel smothered when I am surrounded by Deltas, not content. Also I feel immature and like I need to keep my slightly reckless thoughts to myself. Because I had so many Deltas in my life it became easy to see that I was not that kind of NF. The Beta stereotypes didn't help either. I had trouble at first thinking Beta was a fit for me. I also tried typing myself based on my childhood, but looking to see how I work with people was much more helpful. There are some good subtype descriptions on Wikisocion that you might look at to see if you recognize yourself. http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...e=IEE_subtypes
    Thank you for this, I thought I am Fi subtype, because I tend to be more introverted, but after reading this I am pretty sure about intuitive subtype.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for Jung's cognitive functions, then this doesn't belong in a Socionics subforum; concerning the IM elements, there are some decent sites like http://socionics.us that would likely be helpful to you.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.