Thread: Type opinions/problem solving analysis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type opinions/problem solving analysis

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Think about a problem you faced resently. Work, personal, interpersonal, etc.
    Now answer the following questions for that problem.
    Problem:
    What was the problem you faced?
    According to you, what were the basic issues?
    Action:
    What did you do to resolve the problem?
    What actions did you take?
    Results:
    What observable results were there?
    Changes in Behavior? Numbers? Other?

Which parts were easy for you?
    Which parts were difficult for you?
    Which parts were you confident in?
    Which parts were you unsure about or less confident in?

Note: If you want to, answer for an additional 1-2 problems you've dealt with.
    Different enough to the normal questionnaire that I'll try it.

Problem 1:
    New timetables were posted for the bus I take to school last week. The bus leaves every hour in each direction and two buses run in the morning, at midday and in the afternoon when most people use them but for the second half of December and first half of January there won't be two buses, presumably because fewer people use them during those dates. This is a problem because it will decrease the likelihood of getting a good seat meaning next to a window so there's something more interesting than your knees or the back of the seat in front of you to look at and higher chance of getting the whole seat to yourself.

Normally I don't use the closest bus stop because the second bus starts one stop further along the route so that's where I go. (I don't go to the first stop because that would take 25 min or so extra and is not worth it, this stop is maybe 3-8 min extra depending on whether I use the bike or walk.)

(This all sort of just happened over the past year, I started out just going to the closest bus stop, then started looking for faster ways to get there, then noticed the second bus thing and realised I could get a better seat if I went to the other bus stop etc.)

So, what I'll do to solve this problem is use the stop that's closer which means getting on earlier in the route and so there will be fewer people on the bus and I'll be more likely to get a good seat. (In reality all I thought when I saw the new timetable was that I'll use the other bus stop but this is trying to explain the reason for it.)

Problem 2:
    Recurring problem at work that I actually thought about this summer since I'd not been there for a year and still ended up being the person doing this.

Saturday morning, you show up and see in the dayplanner that someone's called in sick and that the night staff hasn't tried calling anyone in. This most likely means we'll be understaffed, possibly all weekend but at least that shift since few people are willing to pick up the phone knowing they'll have to work on their weekend off. If no one's done so already I get all schedules out, get the phone and list of phone numbers and try to get someone to start calling people while I start looking at everyone's schedules. I'll be looking at those to find which one can most easily be portioned out and where to fit the work, if there's anything that absolutely can't be moved to a different timeslot etc. Usually someone starts helping me and we can be done in 5-10 minutes and everyone only gets slightly more work and will still be done in time for lunch without having to rush too much.

People at work think I'm good at this sort of thing but I'm not sure if I actually am or if it's just that I actually do something instead of sitting around fretting and asking what we're going to do, or grumbling about how we don't actually start until 7:15 and how we're working for free (nevermind the fact that if we wait that long we'll be running even *more* late than we already are and might not finish in time for lunch + will have to rush like crazy to do everything that needs to be done in the morning and I care more about keeping stress as low as possible and getting my full half hour lunch break than starting 15 min earlier without getting paid).

Problem 3:
    I wanted to make tomato sauce but was out of garlic. If I made it normally and just left out the garlic as it wouldn't taste right so I looked through the cupboards and fridge for ideas. Problem was solved when I spotted the carrots because they would add some sweetness and make it different enough that I wouldn't miss the garlic but could still have tomato sauce.

---

Any of it useful? (Or have an opinion anyway?)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about information elements for the bus one, other than Pi being included.

I find it interesting that your criteria for a good seat seems to be one that lets you look out the window at other things, as well as the usual less crowded more personal space criteria. Also that saving time spent traveling between home and school meant you would be willing to walk further to save time.

For myself, regarding buses, If I can walk somewhere, even if it takes longer, then I will prefer to walk. Plus, walking means I can take different ways to get there, depending on my mood of the moment. If where I am going is too far, then I will walk along the bus route until I reach a stop that is around the time that the bus is due to arrive. More walking than necessary, but I find walking relaxing. Nowadays, because of my back, I have to bus it to places. But I just take the one close to me due to convenience and more likelihood of my back lasting longer before the pain kicks in.

Seating on the bus has of course been window preference. But not because I look at what's out there, but because the inside seats have people brushing against and bumping you as they walk past or stand there. Inside seats feel significantly more crowded. Window seat gives the illusion of more space. Plus, that is at least one side of me that I don't have to worry about being in someone's way. So I can relax more. However, nowadays, because of my back, I try to get one of the front seats for the elderly/disabled. This allows me more space so I don't have to scrunch up my shoulders/body to make more room for someone else, and so again, my back can last longer before pain kicks in.

I usually have something I am mentally working on, with maybe a paper and pencil for jotting down notes. Can't do notes on a crowded bus or when sharing a seat, but I can still mentally work it out. Usually I close my eyes to try to tune out the noises and the sense of being crowded as I am working out whatever.

Do you attend to the environment outside of the bus?

Today is a busy day for me, so I will get to the others later.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about information elements for the bus one, other than Pi being included.

I find it interesting that your criteria for a good seat seems to be one that lets you look out the window at other things, as well as the usual less crowded more personal space criteria. Also that saving time spent traveling between home and school meant you would be willing to walk further to save time.

For myself, regarding buses, If I can walk somewhere, even if it takes longer, then I will prefer to walk. Plus, walking means I can take different ways to get there, depending on my mood of the moment. If where I am going is too far, then I will walk along the bus route until I reach a stop that is around the time that the bus is due to arrive. More walking than necessary, but I find walking relaxing. Nowadays, because of my back, I have to bus it to places. But I just take the one close to me due to convenience and more likelihood of my back lasting longer before the pain kicks in.

Seating on the bus has of course been window preference. But not because I look at what's out there, but because the inside seats have people brushing against and bumping you as they walk past or stand there. Inside seats feel significantly more crowded. Window seat gives the illusion of more space. Plus, that is at least one side of me that I don't have to worry about being in someone's way. So I can relax more. However, nowadays, because of my back, I try to get one of the front seats for the elderly/disabled. This allows me more space so I don't have to scrunch up my shoulders/body to make more room for someone else, and so again, my back can last longer before pain kicks in.

I usually have something I am mentally working on, with maybe a paper and pencil for jotting down notes. Can't do notes on a crowded bus or when sharing a seat, but I can still mentally work it out. Usually I close my eyes to try to tune out the noises and the sense of being crowded as I am working out whatever.

Do you attend to the environment outside of the bus?

Today is a busy day for me, so I will get to the others later.
    I look at the landscape/environment outside of the bus and/or think about nothing in particular, I find it fairly relaxing maybe especially because of the longish uninterrupted stretch between towns with no stops. On the way home I'll sometimes sit with people from class if we're taking the same bus and chat for a bit. Very rarely read something for school but I prefer just relaxing. If I can't sit by the window I'll sometimes close my eyes trying to feel less crowded in but I don't sleep like some people do, I'd be worried about not waking up on time (they don't always call the stops, of course it's possible I'd wake up when the bus actually stopped but who knows).

If you feel like it/have the time I'm curious about what makes you think Pi is involved.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I often worry about missing a bus stop, too. It's easier for me to just take the same bus route so I don't have to think about where I am compared to my stop. Then things become kind of habitual/ingrained....subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Zola View Post
    If you feel like it/have the time I'm curious about what makes you think Pi is involved.
    Well, Ni because so much was information about timing. Si because of the seat considerations.
    There were definite Dynamic relationships being considered. But, this doesn't necessarily mean ego.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem 2 is interesting in that this is something you seem to consider is needed, and take the initiation to do, which others tend to ignore or not try to solve.

Rearranging the schedules and needs for the day/weekend is another Dynamic Relationship oriented activity. I would say heavy focus on Ni + Te. But still with an orientation to Si/Fi...in regards to trying to keep stress levels low.
    Again, though, this doesn't necessarily mean ego elements.

Problem 3 is another Si (taste) + Fi (your own preference) related problem.
    If you had spoken of a culinary rule of which item goes with what...it would probably have been more Ti than Fi.

If I was hard pressed to give a type opinion based on these 3 problems, I would say probably Delta/Gamma. Possibly..only a hazy one, not enough info..but possibly an Fi base or a Pi base. Lol...so basically a Delta/Gamma field orientation.

Thank you so much, Zola, for testing these questions for me.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was hard pressed to give a type opinion based on these 3 problems, I would say probably Delta/Gamma. Possibly..only a hazy one, not enough info..but possibly an Fi base or a Pi base. Lol...so basically a Delta/Gamma field orientation.
    Well, that narrows it down, hahah.

Thank you so much, Zola, for testing these questions for me.
    No problem, was interesting reading your reasoning.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else have an opinion? (Based on anything, not just this.)