Thread: Learning to code

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    If you put your mind to it, it's not that big a jump to start learning coding, too.
    Well no, but it might as well be completely pointless if for instance you're a middle-aged person who'll never make use of what you learn or take it to a level worth of... anything. No matter how much talent, dedication, or any of the various things you've been conditioned to believe about being ambitious (or "successful") you think you have.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Are you using any particular resources? I'm collecting good ones...
    Stackoverflow.com is an extremely resourceful open community.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visual Basic.

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Visual Basic.
    Is fun. It's just not syntactically similar to any other language. . NET improved it.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Is fun. It's just not syntactically similar to any other language. . NET improved it.
    That is an oxymoron, sorry.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Well no, but it might as well be completely pointless if for instance you're a middle-aged person who'll never make use of what you learn or take it to a level worth of... anything. No matter how much talent, dedication, or any of the various things you've been conditioned to believe about being ambitious (or "successful") you think you have.
    just because you're old doesn't mean it's not worth learning new things.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've begun my endeavour in coding for a little over half a year now. In future-centric areas it's just a little over useful to understand and manipulate its products. Useful knowledge is good for an individual as it can provide multiple life opportunities one can feel enjoyment and fulfilment within.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    I've begun my endeavour in coding for a little over half a year now. In future-centric areas it's just a little over useful to understand and manipulate its products. Useful knowledge is good for an individual as it can provide multiple life opportunities one can feel enjoyment and fulfilment within.
    where are you up to so far.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    where are you up to so far.
    I was learning java, though I've slipped into learning C# with Unity3D. It's more useful for my project that's trying to implement augmented reality into particular gps locations.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I was learning java, though I've slipped into learning C# with Unity3D. It's more useful for my project that's trying to implement augmented reality into particular gps locations.
    do you know basic programming constructs? i'm not a fan of dynamic memory management, so they're both out for me

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do you know basic programming constructs? i'm not a fan of dynamic memory management, so they're both out for me
    I imagine I would easily understand the constructs but not fully be able to properly apply it myself without reference help, though I've still got a lot to learn and I'm learning patches rather than a bottom up approach.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I imagine I would easily understand the constructs but not fully be able to properly apply it myself without reference help, though I've still got a lot to learn and I'm learning patches rather than a bottom up approach.
    Sounds messy. Maybe you should learn some basic stuff when you've got some spare time to get good foundations.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds messy. Maybe you should learn some basic stuff when you've got some spare time to get good foundations.
    Most certainly. There are many tutorials for me to master the basics. I'll do so at some point.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a year ago I worked my way through two LISP books that really blew my mind and changed how I think about problem solving and life in general. I'm fairly certain I could never be a codemonkey, but I was still incredibly curious about how it all worked... at a more basic/theoretical level. These books really opened my eyes I recommend it.

Here are the books if you guys are interested.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/index.html

http://deptinfo.unice.fr/~roy/sicp.pdf

That time period I actually went down quite a deep rabbit hole, I became a lot more fascinated with mathematics and logic and algorithms and what not. I don't remember why I stopped actually. I think I got too busy with school and other stuff.

TIM
    Unknown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been dabbling in coding and computers for all of my life, pretty much, but it wasn't until about a year ago that I have maintained a sustained effort to develop my programming skills.

I started out with Python. It was pretty easy to get the hang of within a few weeks. However, I didn't really do a whole lot with it. I know how the language works, but I am unfamiliar with the standard library, though I am sure if I wanted to build something with it I could figure it out.

After that, I learned C#, which was also easy to get the hang of. I tried using it to make a bot for an MMO, but that didn't work out (though I got a lot of it done). I play an MMO with a board-game style game in it that players can compete on for in-game money. Recently, I have tried applying the minimax algorithm to the game in order to beat others. I wrote a couple thousand lines of code describing the game (most of it repetitive), but I couldn't get the algorithm to work. I'm an ILE so I am pretty quick to give up on projects like this. However, i'd like to go back and get it working sometime.

Even more recently, I have been learning C++, which I find interesting for its lower-level memory management. I'd like to learn x86 in order to get even further down, and also PHP, Javascript, and SQL to develop a web game idea I had a while ago.

I like coding for sure, but some people describe a euphoria and immense satisfaction from it, which I don't really get. However, I see it as a good way to implement many of my ideas, and i'd like to continue working on it as a skill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12