Thread: Work related question for SLI

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Work related question for SLI

I have a very good work relationship with my SLI boss. I am considering jumping ship for career growth. Any opinion on whether to openly talk to the boss and see if he is willing to help find something else within the firm for me rather than loss a valuable experienced staff to another firm? I am inclined to just start searching and move on but wonder what would SLIs have done in the boss shoes?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organizations can be sadly inept when it comes to retaining good employees. Larger companies tend to be more skilled at retention. It is a good idea to have honest communication with your SLI boss about this: however, he may have little control over the prospects and outcomes.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to him about it. Don't just leave without an early notice. Explore your options.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If you have a very good relationship with the boss, I'd advise being open with him, because he'll probably end up feeling betrayed if you leave without talking to him about it and it may even burn a bridge.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all for your input.

So I had a casual career discussion with the boss about where he sees me in another two to three years at the firms, my interests, skills, potentials, etc. without mentioning I am looking. Here are some points which seems characteristic of SLIs:

1. He reiterated I am a big asset to him but he does not know where he will be in two to three years (his boss may not retire and even if he does, my boss may not be the successor) never mind where I maybe but my job is secured as long as his job is. (weak in intuition, also dealing more in the near term instead of farsighted)
    2. He was very doubtful that I will enjoy moving to another department and my best fit is where I am or wait for another colleague in the department to leave (protecting his own turf and comfort)
    3. He seemed surprise or amused that I am willing to take on more responsibility and challenge instead of enjoying life since I am experienced and can do the routine work in way less time than in the past (take it easy, why work harder than you need to)

At my first performance review several years ago he said something to the effect that I should find him an equally competent replacement if I move on (focus on how any change would effect him).

My take on the the bottom line-he is not going to do anything.

Any other thoughts?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of asking us what you didn't ask him, you could be more direct to him next time.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ORION View Post
    Here are some points which seems characteristic of SLIs:

1. He reiterated I am a big asset to him but he does not know where he will be in two to three years (his boss may not retire and even if he does, my boss may not be the successor) never mind where I maybe but my job is secured as long as his job is. (weak in intuition, also dealing more in the near term instead of farsighted)
    2. He was very doubtful that I will enjoy moving to another department and my best fit is where I am or wait for another colleague in the department to leave (protecting his own turf and comfort)
    3. He seemed surprise or amused that I am willing to take on more responsibility and challenge instead of enjoying life since I am experienced and can do the routine work in way less time than in the past (take it easy, why work harder than you need to)

At my first performance review several years ago he said something to the effect that I should find him an equally competent replacement if I move on (focus on how any change would effect him).

My take on the the bottom line-he is not going to do anything.

Any other thoughts?
    You utilize poor syntax.

Why would you beat around the bush with him and then reiterate this half-assed attempt at gathering information, critiquing his expressions of thought as being resultant of his type?

Oh, LII's are the Socionics INTj. And just like that, the world makes sense.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The larger the company the worse the retention. Big companies do not need you, remember this and do what you need to do. That is unless you're reliant on having a bridge just in case then you have no choice but to speak up and deal with the fact that your boss will probably be upset with you, and unable to provide you a reason to stay. In other words you'll have to grow a spine.