Thread: Forum Etiquette

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    You'll notice I didn't demand that he answer me after he declined. I simply told him what I thought of his declining and then wrote him off for that particular exchange. The response you quoted, as you may notice, was directed at Malna, who tried to offer me a different interpretation of his actions.
    As long as you know.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    As long as you know.
    Of course. I can't force anyone to do what I want, and his behavior didn't break any rules.

(I do have a topic-relevant post coming.)
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see added to the Forum Rules a mention of no racist statements, sexist statements, ageist statements, or blatant statements against religion.
    The problem I have with this kind of hard and fast rule is that people may joke about these topics without actually being prejudiced against the idea or people group. If the joke is sufficiently offensive, and enough people complain about it, then sure, moderate the offender. Concerning "blatant statements against religion", people have their opinions on religion, and some are more extreme than others. Someone talking about how all religion is a sham, an illogical crutch, etc... whatever. I may find their stance offensive, but it doesn't hurt the forum as a whole. If someone is using a target's religion (or age, type, gender, etc) as an insult against them, it should be addressed, but that falls under the rule we have against personal attacks.

I haven't found myself on the wrong end of a moderator's ruling, nor have I noticed any inconsistencies that I can think of, so I don't have too many issues with the rules as they stand (though "be nice" is horribly vague). One thing I'd like to see observed more often is this one:

4.2 Please send a Private Message if you have your concerns about the ability of the Forum Staff to sort things out.
    I've seen too many threads where the sole intent is to bitch about a decision the mods made when they could simply PM the offending mod or go up the chain of command if they feel it's necessary.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I've seen too many threads where the sole intent is to bitch about a decision the mods made when they could simply PM the offending mod or go up the chain of command if they feel it's necessary.
    You don't create a fair community by hiding complaints and allowing arbitrary decisions to go unchallenged. Considering that forums mods are picked most usually because they like one another and the owner then this rule is the hiding place of people who are partial, who play favourites and who are nepotists.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    You don't create a fair community by hiding complaints and allowing arbitrary decisions to go unchallenged. Considering that forums mods are picked most usually because they like one another and the owner then this rule is the hiding place of people who are partial, who play favourites and who are nepotists.
    Oh, right. This is one of your pet issues. Can't say I'm particularly interested in more of the same.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like every potential rule fails to completely eliminate the possibility of someone circumventing the point of the rule.

I guess if I wanted anything out of this forum, it would be that peoples' anonymity remain in tact if they choose to make it so. That includes moderation staff not sharing personal info about forum members with each other.

While the Golden Rule is an ideal principle to follow, it's impossible to fairly enforce; if that's going to be the standard, we may as well have no moderators to manage etiquette.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I know you would. It doesn't seem as though my opinion is received well here, so it doesn't matter anyway. I don't feel like expanding on my post. It is what it is.
    I would like to see you pull a djarendee. Come on, you know you want to.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...2748-Delete-me

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I guess if I wanted anything out of this forum, it would be that peoples' anonymity remain in tact if they choose to make it so. That includes moderation staff not sharing personal info about forum members with each other.

Your feelings and personal gossipy info is what actually makes other people like you though, it's much easier to relate to somebody's loss than their gain.

I guess that's my sad fact. Etiquette isn't real. You say 'Have a nice day!' to the customers leaving when you obviously don't care what kind of day they're have because you don't even know them. It would take lots of time for you to actually care, and the recipient of your polite gesture might appreciate the gesture but they know deep down you also don't really give a shit.

The reverse is also true. Women can get involved with the bad boys because even if they do lots of hurtful and antisocial things they sense that they're doing it because they really care/acting out because they themselves were abused, and so they will make excuses for them when they do all kinds of fucked up shady shit. Yes, many of them will do the right thing when said bad boy takes it too far- but still the point remains: I think most people don't want etiquette. They want love. Dangerous, unsafe, but orgasmically powerful... love. And love brings conflict.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post

Your feelings and personal gossipy info is what actually makes other people like you though, it's much easier to relate to somebody's loss than their gain.

I guess that's my sad fact. Etiquette isn't real. You say 'Have a nice day!' to the customers leaving when you obviously don't care what kind of day they're have because you don't even know them. It would take lots of time for you to actually care, and the recipient of your polite gesture might appreciate the gesture but they know deep down you also don't really give a shit.

The reverse is also true. Women can get involved with the bad boys because even if they do lots of hurtful and antisocial things they sense that they're doing it because they really care/acting out because they themselves were abused, and so they will make excuses for them when they do all kinds of fucked up shady shit. Yes, many of them will do the right thing when said bad boy takes it too far- but still the point remains: I think most people don't want etiquette. They want love. Dangerous, unsafe, but orgasmically powerful... love. And love brings conflict.
    Etiquette is real. Even if you say "Have a nice day!", it, at the very least, means that you acknowledge them. You may not actually care about their day, but there's still something there.

Okay, it gives others material for forming opinions about you. So what's your point? That has nothing to do with rules of disclosure.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12