Thread: My thoughts on "hypocrisy"

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My thoughts on "hypocrisy"

Often I hear people accuse one another of hypocrisy when those people have acted against what they preach. If I'd hear a junkie tell me that I shouldn't do meth, I'd rather think that I should value it's opinion more than, say, the sentimental warnings of a neurotic mother. Just because you did X, doesn't mean that you can't tell someone not to do X.

That is all.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Often I hear people accuse one another of hypocrisy when those people have acted against what they preach. If I'd hear a junkie tell me that I shouldn't do meth, I'd rather think that I should value it's opinion more than, say, the sentimental warnings of a neurotic mother. Just because you did X, doesn't mean that you can't tell someone not to do X.

That is all.
    I fully agree and I've considered making this same post many times with the same illustration. Obviously there are people who are just being shitty about it, but many times i think that the "hypocrite" shouldn't be dismissed as they are speaking from experience or from inside whatever current trap they are warning against.

also, it feels to me like a thought terminating excersize to dismiss advice or whatever because the person giving it isn't following their own advice. that doesn't make the advice invalid.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hypocritical to call someone out on their hypocrisy. We're all hypocrites, so it's easy and lazy to uphold it as one's only pet peeve.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I always seen hypocrisy as telling other people not to do stuff whilst not realising/being prepared to accept the destructive influence that behaviour in themselves has, or even admitting externally that they are.

A junkie telling me not to do meth sounds more like someone speaking from experience, ie look what happened to me, do you want this?

Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have.[1] Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

The junky isn't pretending not to be one, nor is s(he) lying.

And:

Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Often I hear people accuse one another of hypocrisy when those people have acted against what they preach.
    Welcome to the16types.info.

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have.[1] Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.[1]
    Yup, like the tales of honour I hear on this site, where there is none to begin with.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hypocrisy exists in all things because all things are in contradiction- the development of nature is only possible through contradiction.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Villain View Post
    Hypocrisy exists in all things because all things are in contradiction- the development of nature is only possible through contradiction.
    Motion is a contradiction and it is not hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Absurd; 05-23-2013 at 11:22 PM.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go ahead and do meth, Aqua. Have fun with it.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Have you done meth yourself?

Why do you ask?
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Go ahead and do meth, Aqua. Have fun with it.
    I will now that I have your acceptance.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I believe Aqua would be concerned about the hypocrisy of your statement. If you had done meth, it seems like he would be more likely to listen to you.
    I looked at that "Faces of Meth" gallery on CBS.com. That will suffice.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Motion is a contradiction and it is not hypocrisy.
    True. Rather, hypocrisy simply denotes contradiction in social relations.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Villain View Post
    True. Rather, hypocrisy simply denotes contradiction in social relations.
    You would have to prove(?) it happens internally as opposed to the external influence. All in all you're talking about laws here, laws that pertain to objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    I looked at that "Faces of Meth" gallery on CBS.com. That will suffice.

Live more, scapegrace.
    Last edited by Absurd; 05-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hypocrisy definition already exists, not sure why some are trying to reinvent wheel.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Hypocrisy definition already exists, not sure why some are trying to reinvent wheel.
    It's remarkable how people will redefine language to suit their goals.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    You would have to prove(?) it happens internally as opposed to the external influence. All in all you're talking about laws here, laws that pertain to objects.

Live more, scapegrace.

I don't need to "live more." I live vicariously through pictures of junkies.