Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Psychology of Liberalism and Conservatism

  1. #1
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Psychology of Liberalism and Conservatism



    Worth watching imo.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  2. #2
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Complete bollocls. Doesn't really work they way it is spoken in those vids.

  4. #4
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Liberals have a 2 foundation morality.

    Conservatives have a 5 foundation morality.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Trying to equate voting democrat as liberal and voting republican as conservative, and therefore democrats are open minded, score high on openness and the reverse for republicans, therefore be a cool kid like him. That being the case, I don't buy this, someone can be low on openness but want a welfare state, open minded because they want little state control and more freedom, so it works both ways. Reminded me of something I heard before, that republicans formed to combat slavery, and abolish it

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...publican_Party

    Which sounds pretty open minded and progressive to me.

  6. #6
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Trying to equate voting democrat as liberal and voting republican as conservative, and therefore democrats are open minded, score high on openness and the reverse for republicans, therefore be a cool kid like him. That being the case, I don't buy this, someone can be low on openness but want a welfare state, open minded because they want little state control and more freedom, so it works both ways.
    Someone high on the openness dimension but not wanting a welfare state would be low on the "care" dimension and would be a Libertarian. Haidt talks about Libertarians elsewhere.

    There are doubtless other combinations of the dimensions, but Liberal and Conservative are the two big ones.
    Last edited by xerx; 05-20-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: removed a slightly misleading factoid
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fair enough, I didn't watch all the video, just enough to get the impression to myself something didn't add up. Thanks for the info.

  8. #8
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    np.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  9. #9
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the original TED video, the guy certainly spends a lot of time stroking liberalism (you know, the open minded, intelligent, artistic, creative and uber cool) and demonizing conservatism (you know, the close minded, drab, accountant-like, dumb and unartistic side) to, in the end, arrive at the fact that tribalism = bad.

    I had to LOL at the irony, honestly.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    On the original TED video, the guy certainly spends a lot of time stroking liberalism (you know, the open minded, intelligent, artistic, creative and uber cool) and demonizing conservatism (you know, the close minded, drab, accountant-like, dumb and unartistic side) to, in the end, arrive at the fact that tribalism = bad.

    I had to LOL at the irony, honestly.
    It was at this point I got bored, and i'm not even American, heh.

  11. #11
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    On the original TED video, the guy certainly spends a lot of time stroking liberalism (you know, the open minded, intelligent, artistic, creative and uber cool) and demonizing conservatism (you know, the close minded, drab, accountant-like, dumb and unartistic side) to, in the end, arrive at the fact that tribalism = bad.

    I had to LOL at the irony, honestly.
    No? he doesn't. He very clearly and unambiguously argues that both are necessary, and even uses a (somewhat tacky) Yin-Yang analogy to make this point.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  12. #12
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    No? he doesn't. He very clearly and unambiguously argues that both are necessary, and even uses a (somewhat tacky) Yin-Yang analogy to make this point.
    Right, after consuming 15+ minutes out of 19 taking a very, very slanted view at things, completely using his own bias filters and misunderstanding of liberal/conservative, then completely ignoring a TON of very interesting data from their moral tests since they would defy the point he's been making.

    Like I said, his overall conclusion is "tribalism = bad" which is why the end result is "both are necessary". The irony is the 75-80% of his presentation is total, unadulterated tribalism... and his viewpoint, IMO, is greatly hindered by tribalism.

  13. #13
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  14. #14
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    Right, after consuming 15+ minutes out of 19 taking a very, very slanted view at things, completely using his own bias filters and misunderstanding of liberal/conservative, then completely ignoring a TON of very interesting data from their moral tests since they would defy the point he's been making.

    Like I said, his overall conclusion is "tribalism = bad" which is why the end result is "both are necessary". The irony is the 75-80% of his presentation is total, unadulterated tribalism... and his viewpoint, IMO, is greatly hindered by tribalism.
    I'm not sure we saw the same presentation. He went out of his way to show the limitations of Liberalism.

    At 0:00 - 10:30 he just introduces the subject matter and the dimensions.

    At 10:30 - 11:30 he uses Hieronymous' Bosh's painting as an analogy for why lack of authority or tradition lead to negative social consequences.

    At 11:30 - 13:20 he refers to an empirical study that showed how [Conservatively] punishing offenders can lead to social harmony and avert a tragedy of the commons. He even hints at the importance of religion and the belief in God to the pursual of that end.

    At 13:20 - 14:00 he suggests that Conservative ideology (i.e. using all the moral dimensions) was the primary causal factor of civilization and says that civilization could not have come about using only the two Liberal dimensions.

    At 14:20+ he talks about the importance of both Liberalism and Conservatism.

    (Times aren't exact).

    He made jokes at the expense of both ideologies iirc.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca.
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This guy is obviously a close-minded hypocrite. And his ideas are fucking delusional. What a wanna-be. He won't eat at Applebee's? I mean, come on, I guess he's open-minded enough not to. All that openness just amazes me... openness to being deluded is what I call it.

    I'll be eating at Chez Pierre for dinner myself tonight, maybe Applebee's tomorrow night.

  16. #16
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    He made jokes at the expense of both ideologies iirc.
    You see it that way by applying your own filters/biases versus sticking to what is objective vs. what is interpreted.

    For example, you didn't mention the conflict on how one moment he defines liberalism being open to new experiences, then explains comically how they would never eat at Applebees, etc. etc.

    The very definitions he uses are total fluid prejudice and already designed to force a given ideology.

    The entire presentation IS from a very devout, slanted, left viewpoint. The analysis of the data is also taking only a liberal standpoint. The conclusion is rife with such hypocrisy and filters a lot of information as it takes this stance.

    The end result is very ironic since it is a display of tribalism that concludes that eliminating tribalism is the first step to actually improving the world.

  17. #17
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    You see it that way by applying your own filters/biases versus sticking to what is objective vs. what is interpreted.

    For example, you didn't mention the conflict on how one moment he defines liberalism being open to new experiences, then explains comically how they would never eat at Applebees, etc. etc.
    I don't see a contradiction here, though. He meant that Applebees is a bland and formulaic restaurant chain. That is, as contrasted with some independent cafe run by hippies with its own unique atmosphere. It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) you're taking "openness to experience" to mean a kind nihlism or indifference about choice, which it most certainly isn't.

    The very definitions he uses are total fluid prejudice and already designed to force a given ideology.

    The entire presentation IS from a very devout, slanted, left viewpoint. The analysis of the data is also taking only a liberal standpoint. The conclusion is rife with such hypocrisy and filters a lot of information as it takes this stance.

    The end result is very ironic since it is a display of tribalism that concludes that eliminating tribalism is the first step to actually improving the world.
    You're going to have to flesh out your argument with some examples, so I can understand the source of your complaint. So far all I've heard is vague accusations about how he's a liberal (which he openly is), which doesn't make him a hypcrite. How is a conclusion that promotes rapprochement in any way tribalistic?
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca.
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I don't see a contradiction here, though. He meant that Applebees is a bland and formulaic restaurant chain. That is, as contrasted with some independent cafe run by hippies with its own unique atmosphere. It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) you're taking "openness to experience" to mean a kind nihlism or indifference about choice, which it most certainly isn't.
    DERP.

    1) How do you know what he meant as stated above? He didn't explain it further. I take it to mean he (and apparently no one he KNOWS which is what he referred to and SAID himself), would eat at Applebee's. Anything else is your interpretation of.... go by what he said, not what you think he might've meant lol. You are taking a mere sentence and applying subjective meaning to it that exists only in your mind.
    2) So you think being close-minded to eating at Applebee's = open-mindedness, or "openness to new experiences"? It doesn't, it means the opposite. Seems your main problem is that you fail to take ideas and apply them to life situations, to see hypocrisies and probably much-other, that exist in reality.

    The truth here is that individuals mostly work from a combination of open and close-mindedness. Most people probably lie somewhere in the middle-ground. I find people with his ideas to be more on an extreme ground, and I'm more on a moderate ground. I'll eat at either, and the food might be good at both. Closed/open to new experiences is much more complicated than this guy refers to, and it's probably never been measured on large scale. In my case, if I don't eat at a restaurant, it's because of the quality of the food or service. I don't decide not to eat at a restaurant based on whether I think it's a "bland formulaic chain" or an "independent cafe". I'm open to both experiences.

    If you're buying this guy's bullshit, then something went wrong somewhere.....
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-20-2013 at 01:29 AM.

  19. #19
    Tyrant with a side of bacon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I didn't give vague accusations at all but very succinct and clear examples.

    Also, the fact that you made it through the first 15 minutes of this video without dozens of "Whoah, wait a minute.. what?" moments does not give me a lot of confidence that pointing out these things will be a very constructive process...

    Without any kind of objective facts, the video fairly immediately construes liberals are being more open minded, more open to new experiences, more artistic/creative, more wanting to change the world for the better, more active towards the weaker end of our society, etc. etc. etc. If you cannot pause on these and accept them so readily and at face value, it already illustrates that the objective has already left the building.

    Many of these things are forms of the tribalistic lie that many liberals and conservatives perpetuate and are willing to swallow without alternatively questioning and raising issue with. ARE liberals more artisitc? Where are the facts or studies to prove this? And how many are the "correlation = causation" logical fallacies that liberals may pride themselves out of the same breathe how scientific they may be? Truth and objective truth requires correlation if it's to be accepted as a logical, scientific result. Hell, if you use random, non-scientific studies, you can prove the total opposite such as how conservative are much more open to new experiences giving how many new industries and technologies they risked to finance and invest to create, or how conservatives care more about the weak and poverty stricken based on how they statistically give to charities several fold more than liberals, etc .etc.

    But all these statistics still do not objectively create such bold leaps of (il)logic.

    The Applebees reference is just the first of many moments that should lead to head-scratching how "open to new experiences" is quickly followed up with "would never eat at Applebees" .. the video is rife with similar and an open mind will see them all. A not-so-open mind should at the minimum question the very brash and polarizing statements made. Such illustrations are always pure tribalism displays.

    What is also fascinating is how political leaning tribalism always does rely almost entirely on a deeply polarized viewpoint of the opposition/opposite tribe. In the case of conservatives, it's a pot smoking, acid taking, unemployed, welfare recipient protester hippie liberal. In the case of liberals, it's a bible-thumping, confederate flag waving, Nascar-going church leader conservative. When such discussions can do so while eliminating the need for these and instead represent mainstream people, we'll have real progress.

  20. #20
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    DERP.

    1) How do you know what he meant? He didn't explain it further. I take it to mean he (and apparently no one he KNOWS which is what he referred to and SAID himself), would eat at Applebee's. Anything else is your interpretation of.... go by what he said, not what you think he might've meant lol.
    2) So you think being close-minded to eating at Applebee's = open-mindedness, or "openness to new experiences"? It doesn't, it means the opposite. Seems your main problem is that you fail to take ideas and apply them to life situations, to see hypocrisies and probably much-other, that exist in reality.
    If you actually bothered to watch, he explains it just before:

    High openness => desire for different things and new experiences.
    Low openness => desire for the familiar and dependable.

    I'm sorry if it's a huge intellectual leap for you, but Applebees (or any chain-restaurant) is formulaic by definition. If you walk into one Applebees you've pretty much walked into all of them. Eating there again and again wouldn't gain an individual relatively new experiences, even if the menu was a little different from time to time. I suspect there is also the fact that most corporate advertising projects a reliable "family-first" image.

    If you're buying this guy's bullshit, then something went wrong somewhere.....
    Actually, I'll withhold judgment till I can examine the empirical data; I just find the subject matter provocative. I'm more worried about your jumping to conclusions from behind your brain fog of idiocy.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca.
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    If you actually bothered to watch, he explains it just before:

    High openness => desire for different things and new experiences.
    Low openness => desire for the familiar and dependable.
    If you read, I was apparently talking about your subjective interpretation of the Applebee's comment, which is further explained in the sentence after. I wasn't speaking of the definition of "openness to new experiences".
    Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I'm sorry if it's a huge intellectual leap for you, but Applebees (or any chain-restaurant) is formulaic by definition. If you walk into one Applebees you've pretty much walked into all of them. Eating there again and again wouldn't gain an individual relatively new experiences, even if the menu was a little different from time to time. I suspect there is also the fact that most corporate advertising projects a reliable "family-first" image.
    From my own highly-subjective interpretation, which is what you are going by for yourself, all the "hippie cafes" around here are formulaic as well, that I've eaten at. I live about 5 minutes from Berkeley. Regardless of whether you eat at Applebee's or Berkeley Bowl, the menu doesn't change too much, nor does the atmosphere, the crowd, or anything else for that matter. Applebee's has new items on the menu actually more often than Berkeley Bowl. I'm open enough to new experiences to eat at both. So if I "desire a different thing and a new experience" in completion, I really couldn't eat at either, because I've eaten at a shitload of both. Which is my point.... you are too subjectively defining the things he says..... The real difference is in the advertising.... Applebee's projects a different image and draws in a different crowd. Advertising doesn't mean truth. There's nothing any less formulaic about Berkeley Bowl than there is about Applebee's. It just caters to a different crowd. If you're talking chain restaurants, yes, there are also "independent cafes" here who turn into larger chains, so then, does an "independent cafe" become "formulaic", and if I eat there, does that mean I can't be a part of the in-crowd this guy is discussing? I mean, where are your lines, mr. open to new experiences. Just because there is more than one of a restaurant and it uses the same "formula" in each, doesn't mean it won't give me any less of a new experience than an independently-owned operation which is also mostly the same when I visit, nor does it mean that it's "bland".

    If you go into the independently-owned hippie cafes around here, you will find a similar-minded crowd, similar menu, similar atmosphere. So in that way, it's just-as, if not more formulaic at times than a chain-based family restaurant. A hippie cafe is a hippie cafe is a hippie cafe.

    It's more complicated than you want to believe it is. You seem to want easy answers, and ways of defining yourself. If anything, you are predictable and I'm not.

    So, I rest my point, that determining I won't eat at Applebee's is more close-minded than deciding I will, which makes me less close-minded on that point. Applebee's is not any more familiar to me than Berkeley Bowl, nor is it any more dependable, in fact, less dependable overall. Nor will Applebee's offer me any more or less of a new experience than eating at Berkeley Bowl. So eating at Applebee's for me is not any more or less of an "open to new experiences" thing than eating at a hippie cafe. You are obviously more liberal than I am. So it's bullshit and entirely subjective, when you take into consideration how complicated it actually is.

    In fact, I am the one constantly scoping for new restaurants, new places, new bars, and new experiences, and I'm less liberal than you are, and less likely to go along with the status-quo, apparently. Open your mind a bit, silly.
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-20-2013 at 02:16 AM.

  22. #22
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Liberal Americans have low standards. Except for 'organic' food. Who would have thought?

  23. #23
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    I didn't give vague accusations at all but very succinct and clear examples.
    No you didn't. Not until this post.

    Also, the fact that you made it through the first 15 minutes of this video without dozens of "Whoah, wait a minute.. what?" moments does not give me a lot of confidence that pointing out these things will be a very constructive process...

    Without any kind of objective facts, the video fairly immediately construes liberals are being more open minded, more open to new experiences, more artistic/creative, more wanting to change the world for the better, more active towards the weaker end of our society, etc. etc. etc. If you cannot pause on these and accept them so readily and at face value, it already illustrates that the objective has already left the building.

    Many of these things are forms of the tribalistic lie that many liberals and conservatives perpetuate and are willing to swallow without alternatively questioning and raising issue with. ARE liberals more artisitc? Where are the facts or studies to prove this? And how many are the "correlation = causation" logical fallacies that liberals may pride themselves out of the same breathe how scientific they may be? Truth and objective truth requires correlation if it's to be accepted as a logical, scientific result. Hell, if you use random, non-scientific studies, you can prove the total opposite such as how conservative are much more open to new experiences giving how many new industries and technologies they risked to finance and invest to create, or how conservatives care more about the weak and poverty stricken based on how they statistically give to charities several fold more than liberals, etc .etc.

    But all these statistics still do not objectively create such bold leaps of (il)logic.

    The Applebees reference is just the first of many moments that should lead to head-scratching how "open to new experiences" is quickly followed up with "would never eat at Applebees" .. the video is rife with similar and an open mind will see them all. A not-so-open mind should at the minimum question the very brash and polarizing statements made. Such illustrations are always pure tribalism displays.

    What is also fascinating is how political leaning tribalism always does rely almost entirely on a deeply polarized viewpoint of the opposition/opposite tribe. In the case of conservatives, it's a pot smoking, acid taking, unemployed, welfare recipient protester hippie liberal. In the case of liberals, it's a bible-thumping, confederate flag waving, Nascar-going church leader conservative. When such discussions can do so while eliminating the need for these and instead represent mainstream people, we'll have real progress.
    Uhm, He didn't arbitrarily define openness as "liberal" or "conservative". He gave the dimensions very concrete definitions* (such as low openness = desire for familiar surroundings) and conducted a statistical study asking self-described liberals or conservatives to identify the dimensions that best describe them.

    According to his statistical data, liberals, on average, self-identified very highly with a few dimensions (such as care, fairness/equality) and low with everything else. Conservatives, on average, identified highly with all of them.

    Since we're dealing with averages, there is nothing that says a self-identified conservative couldn't be a statistical anomaly and have the same preferences as a liberal. There is also nothing that suggests a conservative couldn't have normal conservative preferences, but with one or two anomalies such as scoring high on the care dimension.


    * at least as concrete as you usually get on most of these types of surveys.
    Last edited by xerx; 05-20-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  24. #24
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    If you read, I was apparently talking about your subjective interpretation of the Applebee's comment, which is further explained in the sentence after. I wasn't speaking of the definition of "openness to new experiences".


    From my own highly-subjective interpretation, which is what you are going by for yourself, all the "hippie cafes" around here are formulaic as well, that I've eaten at. I live about 5 minutes from Berkeley. Regardless of whether you eat at Applebee's or Berkeley Bowl, the menu doesn't change too much, nor does the atmosphere, the crowd, or anything else for that matter. Applebee's has new items on the menu actually more often than Berkeley Bowl. I'm open enough to new experiences to eat at both. So if I "desire a different thing and a new experience" in completion, I really couldn't eat at either, because I've eaten at a shitload of both. Which is my point.... you are too subjectively defining the things he says..... The real difference is in the advertising.... Applebee's projects a different image and draws in a different crowd. Advertising doesn't mean truth. There's nothing any less formulaic about Berkeley Bowl than there is about Applebee's. It just caters to a different crowd. If you're talking chain restaurants, yes, there are also "independent cafes" here who turn into larger chains, so then, does an "independent cafe" become "formulaic", and if I eat there, does that mean I can't be a part of the in-crowd this guy is discussing? I mean, where are your lines, mr. open to new experiences.

    If you go into the independently-owned hippie cafes around here, you will find a similar-minded crowd, similar menu, similar atmosphere. So in that way, it's just-as, if not more formulaic at times than a chain-based family restaurant. A hippie cafe is a hippie cafe is a hippie cafe.

    It's more complicated than you want to believe it is. You seem to want easy answers, and ways of defining yourself.
    Holy shit, the guy was just making a joke. Obviously, any real action has causes that are extremely complicated.

    The humor is in the hyperbole and the simplification of reality with biased brush strokes. You'll note he also made jokes about liberals in his presentation.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  25. #25
    xerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

  26. #26
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Conservatives tend to prefer fixed, literal interpretations of political and religious documents, which they carry into the here-and-now under the assumption that their interpretations still pervade. Consequentially, their ethical attitude isn't to resist change, per se, but to deny new perspectives that don't fit into their schema. While this attitude is inherently more "rational", it's not necessarily more analytic or attuned to reality. Their rationale may even apply to the sciences.

    Liberals tend to be uncertain about fixed interpretations; it seems like what's commonly coined as the "open-mindedness" of liberals is actually an anxious attitude that rejects all perspectives other than ones of a Romantic nature. Sometimes, when liberals forget romanticism, they become nihilists who don't give a shit about the dynamics of culture and politics. This, more or less, probably ties into @InvisibleJim's claim that liberals sometimes hold low standards. At least for themselves.

    Conservatives place more faith in the structure that supports them and the void that consumes others, while liberals place more faith in the void they inhabit and the auxiliary structure meant to keep them safe.

    You're going to run into paradoxes if you make allegations about political preferences for "open-mindedness", "new experiences", and "familiarity". True open-mindedness entails one's brain fell out of their skull, and true close-mindedness entails that one's brain is just a rotting clump of obsidian.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area, Ca.
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I BELIEVE IT BECAUSE CBS NEWS TOLD ME SO. lol

    I think the ideas people have of "what is democrat" and "what is republican" are so extreme and incorrect because people are listening to too much warped news/people that are telling us bullshit non-realities and offering extreme pov.
    Conservative does not equal republican and liberal does not equal democrat.

  28. #28
    NSFW RedBeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Desert
    TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    I BELIEVE IT BECAUSE CBS NEWS TOLD ME SO. lol

    I think the ideas people have of "what is democrat" and "what is republican" are so extreme and incorrect because people are listening to too much warped news/people that are telling us bullshit non-realities and offering extreme pov.
    Conservative does not equal republican and liberal does not equal democrat.
    B-but, if I don't villainize the other guy by making erroneous claims about his character, I'll have to blame MYSELF for what's happening to me.

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Posts
    2,489
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another interesting thing is his audience, it's as if he's preaching to the converted. TED derp.

  30. #30
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Another interesting thing is his audience, it's as if he's preaching to the converted. TED derp.
    TED is just a love in now.

  31. #31
    Robot Assassin Pa3s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    This graphic is way too simplified and practically useless.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

  32. #32
    InvisibleJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Si vis pacem
    TIM
    para bellum
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pa3s View Post
    This graphic is way too simplified and practically useless.
    Oh my.

    It was so helpful for you to provide an alternative to a talking point that was the first google image.

    Infact I tend to prefer a 5 axis model stolen handily from Victoria 2.

    Trade - Protectionist - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Anti Military - Pacifism

    Some examples:

    Obama Democrat

    Trade - Protectionist - Middle - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Neither Pro nor Anti Military - Anti Military - Pacifism

    George Bush Republican

    Trade - Protectionist - Middle - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Somewhere between - Pro Military - Anti Military - Pacifism

    Thatcherite

    Trade - Protectionist - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Neither pro nor anti - Anti Military - Pacifism

    Typical EU Policy Making


    Trade - Protectionist - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Anti Military - Pacifism

    Nazism

    Trade - Protectionist - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Way off the axis - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Anti Military - Pacifism

    Communism

    Trade - Protectionist - Free Trade
    Economic - Planned - State Capitalism - Interventionism - Laissez Faire
    Religious - Moralist - Pluralist - Secularist - Anti-theist
    Immigration - Residency - Limited Citizenship - Full Citizenship - Untested
    Military - Jingoist - Pro Military - Anti Military - Pacifism
    Last edited by InvisibleJim; 05-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.

  33. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    18,006
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vid simply classifies people into two (three) political arenas in U.S. denying others which is not really surprising. When you (xerx) do the same on this forum amongst active populace here, you're going to arrive at really hilarious scenes by asking who's liberal and who is conservative.

  34. #34
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    obvious lib shill

  35. #35
    Glorious Member mu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mind
    Posts
    7,966
    Mentioned
    568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ Fear ^_^

  36. #36
    Kill4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    1,515
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    A head's up for those that haven't watched it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •