Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Things You Don't Understand

"An idiot thinks he knows everything. A wise man knows he has much to learn." - Lao Tsu

While it is customary on the Internet to feign expertise on every subject one can quickly glean from Wikipedia, it can be a relief to admit that some things are simply beyond our comprehension. Here is your chance to admit your ignorance! In this thread, post things you do not understand.

Me first. I don't understand this philosophy blog entry that I came across through some aimless Googling: Bakhtin’s Chronotopic Events: Notes on Novelistic Space-Time

Bakhtin’s chronotope is all about the relations and implications of space-time. For Bakhtin, the chronotope “defines genre and generic distinctions,” which may explain his approach throughout the essay as well as Todorov’s own interest in Bakhtin (84-85). If we can think Bakhtin with Bergson, the chronotope can be considered a material assemblage of images with a duration that contracts them into a volume. Analyzing the various forms of chronotope leads to producing a problematics of narrative types.

Bakhtin begins by analyzing the Greek romance, which he argues “utilized and fused together in its structure almost all genres of ancient literature” (89).

For Bakhtin, time is specifically significant in this genre because it never effects change for the hero: “in it there is a sharp hiatus between two moments of biographical time, a hiatus that leaves no trace in the life of the heroes or in their personalities” (90). Bakhtin labels this “adventure-time,” which is “highly intensified but undifferentiated” (90).
    I don't generally read philosophy, particularly contemporary philosophy from Europe (namely, France). I find it inscrutable. I've come across names like Laruelle, Badiou, Deleuze, et al. With most of this stuff, I'm only slightly interested in the actual content (or anti-content, I guess, in the case of Laruelle). But I find it pretty fascinating to suddenly find the stuff I'd previously regarded as difficult suddenly seem like the epitome of lucidity and eloquence in comparison to new material I encounter. It's like discovering progressively more and more frontiers of unfathomability that I didn't know existed. It can be a useful exercise for expanding your mind.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Animal I was going to read your post, but I couldn't read it over the internal voice of my insurmountable knowledge of whatever topic you are discussing

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's an ocean of things I wish I could understand thoroughly in a defensible number of hours, right now these are among the foremost:
    1. Stochastic differential equations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stochas...ntial_equation
    2. Saharon shelah's math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saharon_Shelach
    3. Synchronized global chronology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronol...ient_Near_East , http://www.starways.net/lisa/essays/heifetzfix.html , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing...wish_calendar) .
    Last edited by ragnar; 04-23-2013 at 01:28 PM.
    Greetings, ragnar
    ILI knowledge-seeker

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    "An idiot thinks he knows everything. A wise man knows he has much to learn." - Lao Tsu
    Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Wise men heed advice, but fools never listen.
    Don't make me go Socrates on you, I'm not particularly in his shadow.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movie the Fountain.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

my fifth grade son's math homework. ugh.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maritsa

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    @Animal I was going to read your post, but I couldn't read it over the internal voice of my insurmountable knowledge of whatever topic you are discussing
    Thank you for deigning to grae this thread with your superior intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I'm taking my third quarter of college level Spanish here and I have to say I don't understand much of it, but what I do understand is awesome and I am pretty stoked to speak even rudimentary Spanish.
    Yo he estudiado español por 4 años en la escuela secondaria, pero yo he olvidado mucho que he aprendido. Es una lenguaje muy útil.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    my fifth grade son's math homework. ugh.
    I felt this way back in the day when I was helping my younger brother out with his homework sometimes, lol.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for deigning to grae this thread with your superior intellect.
    Butts, you never threw a bone to my superior knowledge, experience, wisdom, misuse of butts and quickwittedness!

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Butts, you never threw a bone to my superior knowledge, experience, wisdom, misuse of butts and quickwittedness!
    I don't understand this post! You win!

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always make the eyes rolled upwards "duh" expression when figuring out how much money someone owes me. And I usually get the amount wrong.
    :[

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I always make the eyes rolled upwards "duh" expression when figuring out how much money someone owes me. And I usually get the amount wrong.
    :[
    Your eyes tend to point at whatever part of the brain you're using (if you're not like focusing on something in front of you, etc.) When you're remembering, your eyes point up. Most people, when they're lying, point their eyes down and to the left.

This is generally true, but not hard and fast. It is interesting though, if annoying when you catch yourself doing it.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo he estudiado español por 4 años en la escuela secondaria, pero yo he olvidado mucho que he aprendido. Es una lenguaje muy útil.
    I really like the idea of this thread and will come back to contribute after I've finished my school project.
    I just wanted to say quickly that I've studied Spanish twice a week since December and sometimes it feels frustrating and slow and I forget all the words, but I'm proud and happy to say I understood this sentence! That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Most of Absurd's posts.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Default about froum

nice

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I think froum is pretty swell, too.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Most of Absurd's posts.
    You just say that because you have a gay guy in your avatar.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yup. That's why.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good for you.

TIM
    IEI - Fe 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how reading tvtropes.org feels like a validation for my very existence and everything else I have grown to love or hate.
    The trickster is at one and the same time creator and destroyer, giver and negator, he who dupes others, and who is always duped himself.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the paradox posed by market efficiency, how to varying extents it both must and can't be true and must and can't be both. it offers endless perplexities in various applied financial and non-financial contexts.

or in Newton's words, the infathomable madness of crowds.

TIM
    Ne EII
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them...
    This quote is such a neat trap. Me gusta.

The concept of quarrel is mostly foreign to me.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malna View Post
    The concept of quarrel is mostly foreign to me.
    So it was to Lao Tzu it seems.

They do not quarrel,
    So no one quarrels with them.