Thread: Enneagram type 6 disintegration

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram type 6 disintegration

when 6 goes to 3, what does it look like to you (or how do you experience it)?

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I change to an eight and forget about enneagram.
    good bye

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulled this off theenneagram blogspot:
    Sixes are often visibly nervous, reacting with self-doubt to situations and getting caught in over-thinking a problem. When stress escalates beyond the normal level, however, they jump into action—and stay in action, trying to deal with their anxieties by working harder. If, for example, they feel pressured at work, Sixes may spend their weekend frantically doing yard chores or obsessively reorganizing the closets as a way of discharging or avoiding feelings of inadequacy. They also fear letting others know how overwhelmed they are, so they may take on a false persona of competency and efficiency, like average Threes. ("Don't worry about anything. I've got this handled.") They focus increasingly on tasks and on being efficient while cutting off from their feelings so that they can stay functional, but this can lead to major emotional problems for them and for their relationships.
    This ... I can relate to this. It really only happened once, but that false persona of competency definitely came out to play when I was dealing with the inadequacies of my first relationship. I became totally self-absorbed and solicited no outside help, convinced that I was the only one who could solve my problems and blocking out everybody else in favor of either "feeling" the realness of the problem or trying to think my way through it. I'm certainly not this way about everything that stresses me out, but I definitely relate as an Sx first.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

My impression as an outside observer is that when 6s disintegrate they as if substitute feeling for doing and focus on too much on their performance and external appraisal, only this performance is no longer aimed at resolving the real issues (6's emotional reactivity that allows them to feel the 'real-ness' of the issue is dampened upon disintegration to 3) but rather creating an image that the problem has been dealt with, undervaluing the problem, diminishing its significance and importance, and believing that this impression is the reality. This seems to stabilize them temporarily, they no longer overreact to the small stuff, but on the down side they can end up not dealing with something substantial with serious consequences to follow. I guess they are feeling that they are 'above the mess' and coping fine? which may be explained by type 3's attention style that @dolphin has posted about:

"I'm in the car and slightly late. At the same time that I'm driving, I'm conversing with the back seat rider, scanning mirrors for cops, moving back and forth over the speed limit, eating a sandwich, and checking in and out of the radio. There's a sense of well-being with it all going on at once; like being on top of things."
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-Pay-Attention

Sixes at low health levels usually appear like this:

Level 5: The Level of Interpersonal Control - Insists on being seen as a dependable, responsible person. Desire to resist further demands and commitments. Manipulate others by testing their loyalty and trust to them. Shadow Issue of Fear arises when Sixes believe that they may be losing their support systems.
    Level 6: The Level of Overcompensation - Desire to prove their strength, value, and independence. Undermine others and their support systems by blaming and scapegoating. Feel that their trust has been betrayed. Become stubborn, rebellious, blaming, cynical, short-tempered. Us vs. them mentality.
    Level 7: The Level of Violation - Desire to be rescued by the protection of a strong ally. Violate their self-image of the Responsible Implementor through their defiance of others. Lean heavily on their support systems, take little initiative and avoid responsibility. They disparage themselves, hoping to illicit the pity and rescue of a protective figure.

and now I see what's been happening to dja